Post Count
    Release date 11/10

2 versions one will be $300 one will be $500

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...mpression=true

I wonder if the PS5 will be 500

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So with the Series S you're buying a console that's no more powerful than the current XBone X? Obviously It's just to have a system at the lower price point, but why bother tbh? Just so you can play next gen games at 30fps on 1080p?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So with the Series S you're buying a console that's no more powerful than the current XBone X? Obviously It's just to have a system at the lower price point, but why bother tbh? Just so you can play next gen games at 30fps on 1080p?
    While the gpu is of similar power, the cpu is upgraded enormously. XBox One X was so cpu bottlenecked while having an overkill gpu that all it could really do is 4k30 or 1800p30. But now Series S has enough cpu to make 1080p60 pretty reasonable for most AAA games. For instance, that kind of cpu + gpu combo can easily handle RDR2 at 1080p60. You won't get 1080p60 on unoptimized crap like Assassins Creed games or on anything they try to turn raytracing on for (unless AMD has a similar upscaling tech like DLSS up their sleeves), but 1080p60 should be reasonable doable for a lot of big games, at least in the first half of the generation, on that system I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    consoles

"Series S"

new 500 dollar revision of the consoles one year after release

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    consoles

"Series S"

??? They're both releasing in November. Series S is like a Ryzen 7 3700 + RX 590 + 512GB NVME SSD for $300 while Series X is like a Ryzen 7 3700 + RTX 2080 / 2080 Super + 1TB NVME SSD for $500. Both sound like pretty amazing deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ??? They're both releasing in November. Series S is like a Ryzen 7 3700 + RX 590 + 512GB NVME SSD for $300 while Series X is like a Ryzen 7 3700 + RTX 2080 / 2080 Super + 1TB NVME SSD for $500. Both sound like pretty amazing deals.
    11/21 be sure to get the Xbox Series X Version Z

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11/21 be sure to get the Xbox Series X Version Z
    LOL prob not buying a console until 2022, my 1660 Super should probably be enough to hold out until then.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Series Ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poorbox

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    with Microsoft putting their very few exclusives that are worth a like Halo/Gears on PC going forward, why the would anyone buy an Xbox x

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    consoles

"Series S"

with Microsoft putting their very few exclusives that are worth a like Halo/Gears on PC going forward, why the would anyone buy an Xbox x
    The verdict's in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The verdict's in.
    i was going to lol poorbox no matter what they released tbh... they cant proven they can hold a candle to Sony exclusives

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it's cheap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was going to lol poorbox no matter what they released tbh... they cant proven they can hold a candle to Sony exclusives
    While XBox One was an abortion thanks to idiot CEO Don Mattrick trying to make it into a hybrid HTPC / Wii after how successful XBox and XBox 360 were targeting hardcore gamers, I wouldn't write them off with with Obsidian and Ninja Theory as first party devs now and with competent hardware this time around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While XBox One was an abortion thanks to idiot CEO Don Mattrick trying to make it into a hybrid HTPC / Wii after how successful XBox and XBox 360 were targeting hardcore gamers, I wouldn't write them off with with Obsidian and Ninja Theory as first party devs now and with competent hardware this time around.
    even still, i prefer PS3's exclusives to PoorBox 360's

honestly to me the consoles dont play differently enough to me to justify picking one over the other just because one may perform marginally better. i never cared for racing games (forza), didnt get into gears, and when i really cared about multiplayer FPS games i preferred COD to Halo... never found a way to justify getting a poorbox. of course that was particularly as somebody in high school/college who couldnt be bothered to drop a grand to buy 2 consoles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even still, i prefer PS3's exclusives to PoorBox 360's

honestly to me the consoles dont play differently enough to me to justify picking one over the other just because one may perform marginally better. i never cared for racing games (forza), didnt get into gears, and when i really cared about multiplayer FPS games i preferred COD to Halo... never found a way to justify getting a poorbox. of course that was particularly as somebody in high school/college who couldnt be bothered to drop a grand to buy 2 consoles
    PS3 was pretty terrible until Demons Souls and Uncharted 2 came out. First half of the gen 360 was a much better console, it wasn't even close.

For one, 360 was $200 cheaper.

For two, it had more games and its early gen exclusives were way better. You may not be a Gears fan, but that was a mindblowing game at the time both graphically and with the cover system it used. Then you had top-notch games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Bioshock that were 360 exclusives for more than a year because PS3 was such a mess to port to. Then there was Rainbow Six Vegas which came out six months earlier on 360, and The Orange Box (which is where Portal was first released) was out a couple of months earlier on 360. There were probably more examples, but I'm just listing the ones I bought and played at/near launch.

Third, there were some high profile games that were terrible on PS3. Bayonetta was so bad as to be unplayable on PS3 while it played pretty smooth on 360. I'm not talking needing Digital Foundry to do a deep dive video to show the difference, I'm talking slideshow vs smooth playing game, one game completely sucks and one is awesome. Elder Scrolls Skyrim was an enormous mess on PS3 with its save bugs while I found the experience pretty flawless playing from launch on 360. Then Red Dead Redemption 1 looks really bad on PS3 and runs awful also. Game looks so muddy on PS3, they had to render it at such a low resolution on PS3.

PS3 eventually became awesome but Sony was in dire straits for a while with how the PS3 was until it was rescued by Naughty Dog. Sony got arrogant after the success of the PS2 and thought people would pay $600 just because the system said PlayStation on it. Meanwhile 360 was a more affordable system whose games looked and ran better and there was more to play. Better controller too, especially vs the launch PS3 with that terrible Sixaxis controller that felt like a Chinese knockoff.

Though early gen 360 did have the RROD that was way more prevalent than the early gen PS3's YLOD. I did have to get my system replaced 4 times, that was a until Microsoft finally sent me an Opus board 360. So that's a huge strike against 360. Though at least they covered it under warranty for years.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 09-08-2020 at 10:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PS3 was pretty terrible until Demons Souls and Uncharted 2 came out. First half of the gen 360 was a much better console, it wasn't even close.

For one, 360 was $200 cheaper.

For two, it had more games and its early gen exclusives were way better. You may not be a Gears fan, but that was a mindblowing game at the time both graphically and with the cover system it used. Then you had top-notch games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Bioshock that were 360 exclusives for more than a year because PS3 was such a mess to port to. Then there was Rainbow Six Vegas which came out six months earlier on 360, and The Orange Box (which is where Portal was first released) was out a couple of months earlier on 360. There were probably more examples, but I'm just listing the ones I bought and played at/near launch.

Third, there were some high profile games that were terrible on PS3. Bayonetta was so bad as to be unplayable on PS3 while it played pretty smooth on 360. I'm not talking needing Digital Foundry to do a deep dive video to show the difference, I'm talking slideshow vs smooth playing game, one game completely sucks and one is awesome. Elder Scrolls Skyrim was an enormous mess on PS3 with its save bugs while I found the experience pretty flawless playing from launch on 360. Then Red Dead Redemption 1 looks really bad on PS3 and runs awful also. Game looks so muddy on PS3, they had to render it at such a low resolution on PS3.

PS3 eventually became awesome but Sony was in dire straits for a while with how the PS3 was until it was rescued by Naughty Dog. Sony got arrogant after the success of the PS2 and thought people would pay $600 just because the system said PlayStation on it. Meanwhile 360 was a more affordable system whose games looked and ran better and there was more to play. Better controller too, especially vs the launch PS3 with that terrible Sixaxis controller that felt like a Chinese knockoff.

Though early gen 360 did have the RROD that was way more prevalent than the early gen PS3's YLOD. I did have to get my system replaced 4 times, that was a until Microsoft finally sent me an Opus board 360. So that's a huge strike against 360. Though at least they covered it under warranty for years.
    Yep.. PS3 was trash and played catch up to Xbox nearly the entire time.. watching Xbox add new features as they blatantly stole them (achievements, motion controllers, etc) Multi platform games were almost always better on Xbox, whether it be the resolution or the framerate (for example Madden feeling unplayable running at 30 FPS vs the 360's 60 FPS) .. PS3 games were almost always 720p and you're right they almost always ran better on the 360. Sony was also full of in some of their ad campaigns, and games like that stupid ass dragon game that showed all the fake gameplay videos and then the game finally releases and the entire community and reviewers ing hated it lol..

Sony didn't take back the crown until the PS4's launch.. Microsoft ed themselves from the jump when they announced they were requiring internet connections on the Xbox One (iirc) and gamers got pissed and forced them to rethink their strategy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep.. PS3 was trash and played catch up to Xbox nearly the entire time.. watching Xbox add new features as they blatantly stole them (achievements, motion controllers, etc) Multi platform games were almost always better on Xbox, whether it be the resolution or the framerate (for example Madden feeling unplayable running at 30 FPS vs the 360's 60 FPS) .. PS3 games were almost always 720p and you're right they almost always ran better on the 360. Sony was also full of in some of their ad campaigns, and games like that stupid ass dragon game that showed all the fake gameplay videos and then the game finally releases and the entire community and reviewers ing hated it lol..

Sony didn't take back the crown until the PS4's launch.. Microsoft ed themselves from the jump when they announced they were requiring internet connections on the Xbox One (iirc) and gamers got pissed and forced them to rethink their strategy
    I think the always online DRM was the final nail in the coffin of the XBox One, but god damn remember that XBox One reveal where all they did was talk about watching TV on your XBox?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Oblivion was another massive up on PS3 .. that chopped and chugged the whole way through, and no amount of cache clearing would ever remedy that trash.. and it ran at a glorious 720p lol still couldn't keep up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the always online DRM was the final nail in the coffin of the XBox One, but god damn remember that XBox One reveal where all they did was talk about watching TV on your XBox?
    yeah I remember.. that should have been about 10 on the list of features.. MS really got off track w/ the Xbox One and it's crazy because I loved and preferred both the Xbox and 360

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still can't believe that guy failed upward and somehow got someone to pay him more money. Phil's banking on everyone paying for GP Ult and nobody using most of what it offers. He's doing a Planet Fitness, and I think it'll work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of funny how Sony the bed between PS2 and PS3, then Microsoft did the same thing from 360 to XBone. Makes you wonder what's going to happen this next cycle. Regardless, it's going to be a waiting game for me. If PS5 maintains the quality (and quan y) of their exclusives, that's the only thing that really matters to me any more.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of funny how Sony the bed between PS2 and PS3, then Microsoft did the same thing from 360 to XBone. Makes you wonder what's going to happen this next cycle. Regardless, it's going to be a waiting game for me. If PS5 maintains the quality (and quan y) of their exclusives, that's the only thing that really matters to me any more.
    the common factor for both was price though so we'll see what PS5 does now that the 500 has finally been confirmed

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if I'm understanding the trend of the last 10-15 years.....PC became an overwhelming no brainer for a while, performance was not comparable, then consoles with last generation into this next one are essentially making crazy low priced gamer PCs, making them attractive for economy and budget, and they aren't too far behind in terms of relative performance anymore?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty much with you on that now. I can't see myself sticking with XBOX for my primary console with so many exclusives I'm getting shafted out of. Plus waiting an entire calendar year for like FF7R, outta here on that lol

Thread Information