My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

RJ Hampton

Position: SG/PG
    Height: 6-foot-5
    Weight: 185 pounds
    Draft Range: 12 to 25

Why: The native Texan was a top 5 recruit but spent the year playing pro ball in New Zealand. Really fast with the ball, lightning fast without the ball. Extremely quick and can maneuver in tight spaces. Jumps well and is a physical offensive player despite lack of bulk. Has natural playmaking ability both in terms of finding lanes to score and locating open teammates. Has a few fixable flaws in his shot mechanics; should improve as a shooter with time. Athleticism and length (6-foot-7 wingspan) could allow him to become a plus defender.

Why Not: Was really inefficient for his New Zealand team. Despite passing up too many shots, all of his percentages were still poor (40.7% from the field, 29.5% from three, 67.9% at the line). If his shot isn't fixed, he won't be able to use his speed to his advantage. Played against NBA players in the preseason last year and underwhelmed. Defense needs a lot of work -- he has the tools but doesn't know what to do most of the time. Needs to add weight and strength. Overall, he's a very raw prospect who will require a lot of patience.

Spurs Fit: Hampton could really use a full season in the G League to try to unlock his potential. Down the line, he'd most likely be a shooting guard in San Antonio who periodically operates as a lead facilitator in the halfcourt.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Derek Anderson 2.0

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Derrick Dial

Statistics
    Interview
    Highlights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sakes. How many 6'5" combo guards are there?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a kiwi DJ Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can draft a character from Tiny Toons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sakes. How many 6'5" combo guards are there?
    If you look at a bell curve of male heights, there will be a lot more 6’5” guys in the world than 6’8” guys.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a kiwi DJ Murray.

That's exactly what he's like. And if the Spurs are going to use one of their youngs for trade bait, it would be nice to have him in the pipeline. I like Hampton, and I think the Derek Anderson 2.0 comparison is pretty spot on. He's a high-flyer like Anderson, and he looked pretty fearless. I still wish the Spurs would come up with a PG, but maybe that's what they do in a trade.

I've gotten to the point that I HATE reading about guys who would be great "if they could learn to shoot". Hampton knows how to shoot, but he has some mechanical problems. (Watch for that side-rotation on a lot of his shots.) But as Timvp said, I think his is a matter of correction and not trying to make something that's not there.

But... he's another one of those guys you probably wouldn't pick at 11, and he'll be gone before 41. More to the point, he'll be gone before even a high second round pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs have way to many “PG” combo types might as well trim the fat and actually draft a position of need like a combo big or an actual SF that can shoot and guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly what he's like. And if the Spurs are going to use one of their youngs for trade bait, it would be nice to have him in the pipeline. I like Hampton, and I think the Derek Anderson 2.0 comparison is pretty spot on. He's a high-flyer like Anderson, and he looked pretty fearless. I still wish the Spurs would come up with a PG, but maybe that's what they do in a trade.

I've gotten to the point that I HATE reading about guys who would be great "if they could learn to shoot". Hampton knows how to shoot, but he has some mechanical problems. (Watch for that side-rotation on a lot of his shots.) But as Timvp said, I think his is a matter of correction and not trying to make something that's not there.

But... he's another one of those guys you probably wouldn't pick at 11, and he'll be gone before 41. More to the point, he'll be gone before even a high second round pick.
    Literally every player mentioned on the Spurstalk wishlist (Poku, Achiuwa, Williams, Smith, Vassell, Nesmith, Bey) has better shooting numbers across the board than this guy, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want fast and speed. The kid has it. We could trade Lonnie or DJ if we draft this kid. Or we could keep both and have a solid line up consisting of Rookie, Lonnie, DJ, White, and KJ all on the floor for a full game (not all together but like 2 or 3 at once) so we don’t have to go through any more shows of pairing Forbes and Belli together and losing playoff series and 10 games a year just from that rotation.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Literally every player mentioned on the Spurstalk wishlist (Poku, Achiuwa, Williams, Smith, Vassell, Nesmith, Bey) has better shooting numbers across the board than this guy, tbh.

LMAO. You've got such a bad case of the red-ass. You're going to have to start charging rent for that head of yours, or I'm going to live there forever. You're comparing him to guys you would pick at 11, and I already said that i wouldn't take him at 11. You just want so badly to prove me wrong about something that you're willing to turn your brain off.

I never said he doesn't have problems with shots falling, did I? And once again, you never watched a single minute of him on the court. Instead of me arguing with you, I took about 30 seconds to go find a scouting report:

"Although his jumper is not consistent, there is reason to buy the shot. He has good form with no major mechanical issues (and a beautiful follow through), good balance on his jumper, ability to pullup off the bounce with either hand, and FT shooting percentages indicate shooting potential going forward (74.5% according to D1circuit during AAU and his time with New Zealand according to RealGM). If I were to change one thing with his shooting mechanic, it would be trying to get more balanced on his jumper and bring his legs a bit further apart – he has a habit of bringing his feet very close together on C&S jumpers or pullup jumpers. In addition to having his feet close in, he is prone to shooting some jumpers squarely off his toes and others jumping from the mid-line / of his feet. Part of the reason for C&S inconsistencies despite the form is because he brings his right leg in very close to his left and then it pops out quickly as he’s going up – this could further throw off his balance. His footwork on pullup jumpers also varies, as he can be too far forward on his toes on some attempts and have his legs be very close together on others – he needs a more consistent base. The timing on his jumper is also not consistent across looks – on pullup jumpers, he holds the ball a bit longer than he does on C&S attempts (where he often shoots on the way up). Though the upper body mechanics look good on the jumper, there are some base / timing issues he has to fix."

If you watch him shoot (which you clearly haven't), you'll see that sort of diagonal rotation on a lot of his shots. You also see him shooting on the way up, which the report mentions. The only things wrong with his stroke/shot are things that are easily correctable. He's a LOT like Derek Anderson at that age. He should have gone to college instead of New Zealand, but he got caught up with an agent who was trying to pay him (or his dad, I forget), and most big programs distanced themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO. You've got such a bad case of the red-ass. You're going to have to start charging rent for that head of yours, or I'm going to live there forever. You're comparing him to guys you would pick at 11, and I already said that i wouldn't take him at 11. You just want so badly to prove me wrong about something that you're willing to turn your brain off.

I never said he doesn't have problems with shots falling, did I? And once again, you never watched a single minute of him on the court. Instead of me arguing with you, I took about 30 seconds to go find a scouting report:

"Although his jumper is not consistent, there is reason to buy the shot. He has good form with no major mechanical issues (and a beautiful follow through), good balance on his jumper, ability to pullup off the bounce with either hand, and FT shooting percentages indicate shooting potential going forward (74.5% according to D1circuit during AAU and his time with New Zealand according to RealGM). If I were to change one thing with his shooting mechanic, it would be trying to get more balanced on his jumper and bring his legs a bit further apart – he has a habit of bringing his feet very close together on C&S jumpers or pullup jumpers. In addition to having his feet close in, he is prone to shooting some jumpers squarely off his toes and others jumping from the mid-line / of his feet. Part of the reason for C&S inconsistencies despite the form is because he brings his right leg in very close to his left and then it pops out quickly as he’s going up – this could further throw off his balance. His footwork on pullup jumpers also varies, as he can be too far forward on his toes on some attempts and have his legs be very close together on others – he needs a more consistent base. The timing on his jumper is also not consistent across looks – on pullup jumpers, he holds the ball a bit longer than he does on C&S attempts (where he often shoots on the way up). Though the upper body mechanics look good on the jumper, there are some base / timing issues he has to fix."

If you watch him shoot (which you clearly haven't), you'll see that sort of diagonal rotation on a lot of his shots. You also see him shooting on the way up, which the report mentions. The only things wrong with his stroke/shot are things that are easily correctable. He's a LOT like Derek Anderson at that age. He should have gone to college instead of New Zealand, but he got caught up with an agent who was trying to pay him (or his dad, I forget), and most big programs distanced themselves.
    The ? I don't know who you are son. Did we have beef before? You sure you aren't mistaken me for someone else?

Only Spurstalker in my mind right now is my man Dejounte, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derek Anderson comparison spot on!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    May just be hyperbole, but encouraging none the less.
    Discusses his work ethic and shooting improvements.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/insight-rj-...201500540.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really like him tbh. If the Spurs acquire a second 1st, then I'd want them to take him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh.. Mike Miller worked with Precious too and it's not like he's a miracle worker

This boy RJ has a broke ass shot from the limited time I've spent watching him. People really want to re-do the Dejounte experiment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find.

I'm an RJ Hampton believer when it comes to his ceiling. He's a risk who might not be that much safer than PatWill or Poku ... but the upside is there. A 6-foot-5 bolt of lightning who was considered a top five player in the draft before he went to Australia? Yeah, that's not bad at 11. He's not my number one choice but it'd be a pretty exciting pick, IMO.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find.

I'm an RJ Hampton believer when it comes to his ceiling. He's a risk who might not be that much safer than PatWill or Poku ... but the upside is there. A 6-foot-5 bolt of lightning who was considered a top five player in the draft before he went to Australia? Yeah, that's not bad at 11. He's not my number one choice but it'd be a pretty exciting pick, IMO.
    I agree. It’s strange because this draft is unlike any I can remember in recent memory. Players have had almost an entire season worth of time to improve since the pandemic, and I am always interested in guys that acknowledge their flaws (perceived or not) and use them as motivation to excel.
    With the right coaching, commitment, talent and time - some of these prospects I believe will look significantly improved to what was forecast.
    RJ may just be that guy.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. It’s strange because this draft is unlike any I can remember in recent memory. Players have had almost an entire season worth of time to improve since the pandemic, and I am always interested in guys that acknowledge their flaws (perceived or not) and use them as motivation to excel.
    With the right coaching, commitment, talent and time - some of these prospects I believe will look significantly improved to what was forecast.
    RJ may just be that guy.
    Great point. The 5-month gap between normal and actual draft days allows the hungry players to get even better. I think this is a disproportionate advantage for smart drafters like the Spurs. I would love for them to pick up another first, depending on what they would have to give up to get it, of course. The bubble made Murray look expendable, and if the Spurs can find another team who sees him the way the Pacers saw George Hill in 2011 they might be able to snag a pick.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    overhyped like murray

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Mike Miller ( pre-draft shooting coach ) :

I really truly believe that in two to three years, he’ll be a high 30s to low 40s 3-point shooter. And if he does that, he’s a multi-time All-Star and will write his own script because he has so many other things that you can’t teach. I’m proud of where he’s come. It’s night-and-day where he was and where he is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More from Miller:

“The consistencies I’ve seen with him, the stuff that he’s worked on, it’s the same stuff that I’ve worked on with tons of shooters in the league and I’ve seen the transformation, so I’m not guessing,” said Miller, who left his position as a Memphis assistant in March.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m reading more on this guy. If the Spurs are going for a high ceiling player, and as for players who will still be around at 11, who are the best prospects for a high ceiling criteria: RJ, Precious, and Poku? RJ is a top prospect that is getting overlooked. Seems like he fits the Spurs MO for finding talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m reading more on this guy. If the Spurs are going for a high ceiling player, and as for players who will still be around at 11, who are the best prospects for a high ceiling criteria: RJ, Precious, and Poku? RJ is a top prospect that is getting overlooked. Seems like he fits the Spurs MO for finding talent.
    This dude is out of the league in 5 years or will become forgotten like Dante Exum.

Thread Information