Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Disagree with that premise. But sure you dont have to like him. His prosecution would be the end of journalism as we know it.

Welcome to 1984
    He’s not a journalist. He’s a computer hacker motivated by helping right wing politicians.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not a journalist. He’s a computer hacker motivated by helping right wing politicians.
    Disagree. A journalist can come from any background. Well and this is what this "trial" is about.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Disagree. A journalist can come from any background. Well and this is what this "trial" is about.
    A journalist wouldn't have waited until the convention to drop the emails about the DNC/Wasserman-Schultz helping Hillary win the primary, he would have done it while the primary was still going before Bernie dropped out (if that news broke mid-primary Bernie might have actually won). His goal was to help Trump by creating havoc within the Democratic party.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why do you think people like hater who have open are openly disdainful of America, and have reveled in its demise, love and defend the people that hastened it?

You’re correct, Assange is a computer hacker, selling his skill to the highest bidder.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US/EU/NATO Deep State is equally scary as China/Russia, tbh

Pardon Assange and Snowden or else the US framers founded the country for literally nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A journalist wouldn't have waited until the convention to drop the emails about the DNC/Wasserman-Schultz helping Hillary win the primary, he would have done it while the primary was still going before Bernie dropped out (if that news broke mid-primary Bernie might have actually won). His goal was to help Trump by creating havoc within the Democratic party.
    He obviously didnt like Hillary and her war policies. His defense is actually making that point. Also saying he dislikes Trumps policies. He delivered the leak he had. Yes I think he had hope on Trump and figured Hillary was worse. The defense is not disputing any of this. He is not being charged with interfering w election.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9:20 am EDT: In the morning session, defense witness, Prof. Paul Rogers, political scientist at Bradford University, established that Assange is motivated by a political viewpoint that places him as a political opponent of his accusers.

WikiLeaks revelations about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, especially releasing an increased body count of civilians, set him against the interests of the United States. WikiLeaks had exposed the “fiction of victory” in Iraq and Afghanistan. In Iraq, for “two years there was no evidence for the public that the war was going wrong. WikiLeaks significantly showed how badly the war had gone for the United States,” Rogers testified.

He stressed that Assange made clear he was not against the American people, but its governments.

The professor, who testified via video-link from Bradford in the English Midlands, said that at the center of Assange’s politics is his belief that there should be more concern for human rights, more transparency, more accountability and more justice.

Rogers said Assange, who was sitting in the back of the court, is coming from a libertarian, anti-war stance and that these views clash deeply with the Trump administration. Rogers testified that this administration was out of the norm of a typical U.S. or European government. Assange is “a political opponent who might experience the full wrath of government. No question,” Rogers testified.

“Assange and what he stands for represents some kind of threat to normal political endeavor,” Rogers said.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He obviously didnt like Hillary and her war policies. His defense is actually making that point. Also saying he dislikes Trumps policies. He delivered the leak he had. Yes I think he had hope on Trump and figured Hillary was worse. The defense is not disputing any of this. He is not being charged with interfering w election.
    Nice of him to say he dislikes Trump’s policies after he helped Trump get elected. He and Susan Collins would get along great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice of him to say he dislikes Trump’s policies after he helped Trump get elected. He and Susan Collins would get along great.
    He prevented a hillary presidency which saved more lifes imho

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He prevented a hillary presidency which saved more lifes imho
    200k people disagree. The blood of the COVID-19 victims is on Julie’s hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    200k people disagree. The blood of the COVID-19 victims is on Julie’s hands.
    Do you really believe Hillary woulda saved those 200k?

I have a bridge to sell you in Benghazi

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Do you really believe Hillary woulda saved those 200k?

I have a bridge to sell you in Benghazi
    Benghazi bull . Somehow you’re more offended by 4 people dying in Benghazi than you are 200k people dying here.

Yes, I absolutely think Hillary would have handled the pandemic exponentially better than Trump did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why do you think people like hater who have open are openly disdainful of America, and have reveled in its demise, love and defend the people that hastened it?

You’re correct, Assange is a computer hacker, selling his skill to the highest bidder.
    He's a "journalist" who published leaks, he didn't hack anything.

He's not an American, and his "crime" was committed outside of America.

How does America have jurisdiction?

And of course, the feckless, less Brits under blondie PM are running a Kangaroo court for Trash
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-09-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there's only like two non hole "but muh" countries ahead of the US in proportionate deaths.

The US failed miserably in its COVID response and Trump owns a big part of that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-09-2020 at 11:49 AM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Why do people think Trump is some kind of Tulsi-like anti-neocon? He substantially increased the defense budget from what it was under Obama and paid for the increase with deficits, made a ing Raytheon lobbyist Secretary of Defense, and set the record for bombs dropped in Afghanistan last year. He also had us a threadhare away from a war with Iran after drone striking Soleimani. Outside of the fact Trump gives speeches about being anti-war, there's nothing about his presidency that's been anti-war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benghazi bull . Somehow you’re more offended by 4 people dying in Benghazi than you are 200k people dying here.

Yes, I absolutely think Hillary would have handled the pandemic exponentially better than Trump did.
    Huh? I coulda said Tripoli. Hillary obliterated Lybia.

How would she have handled it better? And how many less deaths would we have?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there's only like two non hole "but muh" countries ahead of the US in proportionate deaths.

The US failed miserably in its COVID response and Trump owns a big part of that.
    Agreed.

A big part like 30% of the blame should be squarely on Dump. The rest was bound to happen regardless (see New York)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people think Trump is some kind of Tulsi-like anti-neocon? He substantially increased the defense budget from what it was under Obama and paid for the increase with deficits, made a ing Raytheon lobbyist Secretary of Defense, and set the record for bombs dropped in Afghanistan last year. He also had us a threadhare away from a war with Iran after drone striking Soleimani. Outside of the fact Trump gives speeches about being anti-war, there's nothing about his presidency that's been anti-war.
    It pretty came down to Hillary promising to down Russian jets vs Dump not tbqh.

That simple

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Julian Assange is not on trial for his personality

– but here’s how the US government made you focus on it

By drawing attention away from the principles of the case, the obsession with his character pushes out the significance of WikiLeaks’ revelations

On Monday Julian Assange was driven to the Old Bailey to continue his fight against extradition to the United States, where the Trump administration has launched the most dangerous attack on press freedom in at least a generation by indicting him for publishing US government do ents. Amid coverage of the proceedings, Assange’s critics have inevitably commented on his appearance, rumours of his behaviour while isolated in the Ecuadorian embassy, and other salacious details.

These predictable distractions are emblematic of the sorry state of our political and cultural discourse. If Assange is extradited to face charges for practising journalism and exposing government misconduct, the consequences for press freedom and the public’s right to know will be catastrophic. Still, rather than seriously addressing the important principles at stake in Assange’s unprecedented indictment and the 175 years in prison he faces, many would rather focus on inconsequential personality profiles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assange is not on trial for skateboarding in the Ecuadorian embassy, for tweeting, for calling Hillary Clinton a war hawk, or for having an unkempt beard as he was dragged into detention by British police. Assange faces extradition to the United States because he published incontrovertible proof of war crimes and abuses in Iraq and Afghanistan, embarrassing the most powerful nation on Earth. Assange published hard evidence of “the ways in which the first world exploits the third”, according to whistleblower Chelsea Manning, the source of that evidence. Assange is on trial for his journalism, for his principles, not his personality.

You’ve probably heard the refrain from well-meaning pundits: “You don’t have to like him, but you should oppose threats to silence him.” But that refrain misses the point by reinforcing the manipulative tropes deployed against Assange.

When setting a gravely dangerous precedent, governments don’t typically persecute the most beloved individuals in the world. They target those who can be portrayed as subversive, unpatriotic – or simply weird. Then they actively distort public debate by emphasizing those traits.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...r-b420930.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the afternoon session, Trevor Timm, a trained lawyer and executive director of the Freedom of the Press Foundation, took the virtual witness stand for the defense and in sparring with prosecutor James Lewis QC on cross examination singlehandedly dismantled key parts of the government’s case.

Over the past two days the government has stressed two key points: that it is not prosecuting Assange for publishing but for revealing the names of informants. Timm testified that in fact the indictment is for passively receiving and possessing classified information beyond those do ents that revealed informants’ names.

The bigger point Timm made was that it was a consensus view of First Amendment advocates and media organizations that while revealing the names of informants may be unethical, it is not illegal. He said that it was an editorial decision whether to publish such names, and while media organizations might disagree, it was not up to the government to make editorial decisions.

It is a point we have long made that there is no statute against revealing informants names. The government considers their names defense information protected by the Espionage Act. Timm further testified that the U.S. Supreme Court has in the past protected speech, however unsavory.

“I’m not saying WikiLeaks had perfect editorial judgement or that The New York Times does, but that doesn’t mean that differences of opinion make it illegal,” Timm said. ” The government should not decide whether it was sound or not. The decision is whether it is illegal and this publication was not illegal, and that the indictment making it illegal would criminalize journalism.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US military lawyer gets schooled. (Wont matter)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He added: “In the Manning trial the U.S. government could point to no specific deaths” from the revelation of informants’ names. “But regardless, the First Amendment is not a balancing act between harm and benefit. Sometimes it allows for odious speech. Some harm might result from speech, but our people have determined that having wide la ude for journalists and free speech make sit vital they are protected, even if it comes close to a line that makes us uncomfortable.”

“Why should your opinion be more important than what a jury decides?” Lewis shot back.

“On cons utional issues it goes beyond a jury,” Timm said. “A judge could rule it uncons utional before it gets to a jury.” Lewis then told Timm that journalism Mark Feldstein, who testified on Tuesday for the defense, said it was “wrong to publish names putting them in moral danger.”

“I didn’t say it was right or I agreed, but merely that it would be uncons utional for Assange to prosecuted for this act,” Timm responded.

Lewis then said Gordon Kromberg, an assistant U.S. attorney in Alexandria, Virginia, where Assange would be tried, declared that Assange was not a journalist. Timm said it was irrelevant because Assange had engaged in journalistic activity protected by the First Amendment.

Timm demonstrated that he understood what was in the indictment better than Lewis di

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He pointed out that Assange was not being accused of conspiring with Chelsea Manning to break a password to get do ents but to help her hide her iden y, an obligation of all reporters working with anonymous sources.

He said the government made out anonymous drop boxes, pioneered by WikiLeaks, to be nefarious, when about 60 media organizations, such as The New York Times, The Guardian and The Wall Street Journal use such boxes, developed by his foundation, for sources to deposit material anonymously.

Lewis was a shrunken man. All his bluster from the previous day had melted. He seemed to take it out on Magistrate Vanessa Baraitser in an argument over the time limit she imposed on him–one hour, when she gave the defense only 30 minutes.

Lewis was reduced to trying to undermine Timm’s credibility as an expert witness because he had not included Kromberg’s declaration in his written testimony. “I did not make my judgement on a government press release but what is in the indictment,” Timm said.

The trial continues.

Thread Information