San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tyrese Maxey

College: Kentucky
    Position: SG/PG
    Height: 6-foot-3
    Weight: 200 pounds
    Draft Range: 12 to 22

Why: Can smoothly pull up for jumpers off the dribble. Shot 83.3% at the line. Creative in the lane; can score at a variety of angles. Good at changing speeds. Plus ball-handling ability makes it possible he could develop into a point guard. Defensively, he's advanced for his age. Has a strong body and uses it well. Defense is NBA-ready at both guard positions. Provides fast, physical help defense. Like Keldon Johnson, some of his potential might be hidden by the fact he had to share the ball with so many quality players at Kentucky as a freshman.

Why Not: Hit only 29.2% of his three-pointers and less than a third of his jumpers overall. Has a low release that might not translate to the NBA, which makes his future as a shooter a big question mark despite his impressive free throw percentage. Not too much of an athlete. His top-end speed is pedestrian and doesn't jump notably well. Though he's crafty, lack of elite athleticism could make it difficult to finish in the NBA. He's not a ballhog but his court vision was rudimentary as a freshman. Good wingspan (6-foot-7) but his height will hurt his defensive potential if he turns out to be a 2 and not a 1 or at least a combo guard.

Spurs Fit: Like Keldon Johnson, Maxey could use time in the G League to help expand his game and figure out what exactly his role will be as a pro.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Terry Porter reincarnate

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Roger Mason Jr. knockoff

Statistics
    Interview
    Highlights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You made, what, like 20 of these already? I swear 2/3 of them have been undersized combo guards. Not your fault, but I wished the talent pool was a little more diversed on projected first round prospects. Not gonna lie, outside of Edwards I didn't even care to check for any of these combo guards footage, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep that’s it right there another midget makes a lot of sense for this team right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already have this player in Dejounte. We don’t need another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yay an unathletic 19 yo combo guard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any day now marcus denmon is going to break out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard pass @11

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a great basketball name.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Kentucky mask some of his strengths? Hard to say. A 6’3” shooting guard definitely is not the team’s priority need, but I think I would like him on the team. He’s aggressive, he plays strong. He’s decisive with the ball, doesn’t hesitate and overthink like Dejounte and Lonnie. I can’t stomach another low motor player like Luka, ie Poku. I see Tyrese as the opposite of that.

Tyrese plays defense. He plays well with others. Like Keldon, he is a brute. I don’t see him having the same challenges as Dejounte. I think Tyrese’s feel for the game, at least offensively, is better. He can shoot with his left on floaters in the paint. He has some atypical positives that don’t show up as easily statistically. He isn’t my preferred Tyrese in this draft. Would I take him over Jalen, though? Probably not. But over Poku? I think so.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 10-13-2020 at 03:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/vNrLTIwAsa0

Good breakdown of his offensive game from NBA Draft Junkies. I think he could be great in a Patty Mills spark plug role as 6 or 7th man initially, and then hope for increased production. I think he is being undervalued.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/vNrLTIwAsa0

Good breakdown of his offensive game from NBA Draft Junkies. I think he could be great in a Patty Mills spark plug role as 6 or 7th man initially, and then hope for increased production. I think he is being undervalued.
    Thanks for sharing. Has the makings of a solid pro. I just don’t see star potential with him.
    I think if drafting for a solid, rotation type piece at 11 - who has some combo guard skills, I would rather go with Desmond Bane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thirsty?

Enjoy some Kool Aid: https://youtu.be/f8XcP2TAm3g

He seems like the anti-Kawhi, especially with the anti-Uncle Dennis interviewed in the video.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2020...e-maxey-debut/

Interesting. I like Vassell where we got him, but I really wanted us to trade a vet to try and add Tyrese Maxey. He’s off to a solid start so far. Looks polished.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I ever tell you about Maxey
    You only say I don't know what I know
    but

Murder she wrote (For real, for real)
    Murder she wrote
    Murder she wrote
    Murder she wrote

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/H9MMt6iBg5E

This isn't directed at JuneJive per se, but damn, he just scored 39 points in his first NBA start, the best first start for a player since...1970?!! I had a great feeling about this kid. God, I wish we could have found a way to get him on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/H9MMt6iBg5E

This isn't directed at JuneJive per se, but damn, he just scored 39 points in his first NBA start, the best first start for a player since...1970?!! I had a great feeling about this kid. God, I wish we could have found a way to get him on the team.
    I think the concern was he would be similar to Malik Monk on the next level. A combo guard that is too small to play full-time SG & not a good enough handle or playmaking ability to be a PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kentucky and Florida State products are for real. They deserve a good look every draft year. They have a good system and culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kentucky and Florida State products are for real. They deserve a good look every draft year. They have a good system and culture.
    Agreed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the concern was he would be similar to Malik Monk on the next level. A combo guard that is too small to play full-time SG & not a good enough handle or playmaking ability to be a PG.
    I get it. My hunch was that he had too many positive intangibles to fail. Anyway, he’s not a Spur. I’ll let it go now. Ha.

Thread Information