Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of a man crush with Smith you have going on there. I love it. We need more people with their horses in the draft. Ex and DAF are riding with Poke. I'll fight anyone who doesn't think Toppin is worth trading up for. We have like two more months until the draft. Let's get some churches going.
    Just for clarification, what I’m doing is different from pretty much everyone else here. I don’t have a weekly or monthly man crush on players. I don’t really have a dog. I’m trying to suss out who the Spurs want. Pretty much everyone else is advocating this player or that player. I’m trying to figure out who the Spurs are advocating, based on player type, Spurs draft history, and the draft pool. I don’t give a rats ass if they pick Poku, I just really think he fits the cir stances of tepid draft player pool, without even a clear #1, coupled with a mediocre pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of a man crush with Smith you have going on there. I love it. We need more people with their horses in the draft.
    Yeah, by the draft comes around (whenever that is), it'd be entertaining if everyone had a horse

Don't forget pad300 on the Poke train.
    ZeusWillJudge on the Saddiq train.
    Thomas82 on the James Wiseman train (literally every post is about Wiseman lmao)
    Sugus on the Precious train (recently on Smith train as well)
    objective on the Patrick Williams train
    timvp on any combo guard train
    Going to publish my Big Board 1.0 in the next couple of days. There are some combo guards up on there. Good call

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stat Nuggets

-Jalen Smith was 2nd in the Big Ten in Defensive Win Shares (2.4) and 4th in Defensive Rating (88.9)
    -Jalen’s 2.4 blocks per game was 2nd and his 8.2% block percentage was good for 3rd in the Big Ten
    -His combination of defensive prowess and offensive efficiency led to him having the 19th best win shares in the NCAA (6)
    -He had the 2nd best offensive rating in the Big Ten at 123.9 and true shooting percentage of 62.6%
    -Smith had the #1 effective field goal percentage in the Big Ten at 59%
    -Smith was one of the most efficient players in NCAA, finishing with the 3rd best player efficiency rating at 29.3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepain...n-smith/%3famp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article on Jalen:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bal...outputType=amp

A positive head game
    Along with the time he has spent in the gym trying to improve his consistency and in the weight room to put mostly upper body muscle on his 225-pound frame, Smith — whose nickname is “Stix” — is now also working on his mind.

Since the spring, Smith has met regularly with Dr. Mic e Garvin, one of two full-time sports psychologists Maryland employs to work with its student-athletes.

“I was a little nervous about it because I didn’t know who the person was and this was my first time [working with a sports psychologist],” he said. “When I first got there, pretty much a lot of things opened up that I really didn’t know that I knew about. It started to help me cope.

"I have a lot of expectations on myself this year. It helps me take some of the pressure off myself and makes me realize that I’ve just got to play every game. There’s just a certain method just to keep myself happy no matter if I’m doing good or bad. Try to limit outside distractions.””

Lisa Smith said her son had spoken to her and her husband, Charles, about what he had been feeling during his freshman year.

“He had expressed the anxiety he was feeling,” she said. “We wanted him to focus on school and focus on basketball, but that’s easy for us because we’ve never experienced anything like he’s going through. We don’t understand it. He’s now been equipped with how to better deal with it.”

Garvin is prevented from speaking about Smith individually but in general what she does is geared to improving performance through visualization, goal setting and overall positive feedback.

“There’s a lot of different pressures that these athletes are under,” Garvin said Friday. “One of the things we worked toward with the athletes is helping them perform the best they can in whatever domain they’re in, how they can be fully focused on their sport when they’re in that moment.”

Smith, who is being mentioned in NBA mock drafts as everything from a lottery pick to going early in the second round, said he thinks he will be able to block out the criticism on social media as well as whether his stock takes a hit after a bad game or skyrockets after a good one more than he was able to last season.

“I’m actually doing a lot better than I did,” he said. “Probably at the beginning of my freshman year, it would all be in my mind, ‘I could go to the NBA’ [after this year], but during the season, it was like, ‘I may need more time here.’ I really just push it aside. I’m here right here so that’s the only thing I have to worry about it.

“I know people criticizing my game is always going to happen. At the end of the day, I know that they don’t affect my future, I affect my future. The NBA’s always going to be at the back of my head. At the end of day, I’m here at Maryland right now; it’s what I can do here right now.”

One NBA executive said recently that because of his frame, Smith will likely have to be a stretch 4 — a power forward who is a reliable 3-point shooter — in the pros. Smith shot just 26.7 percent last season, but showed flashes of being a capable 3-pointer, including a big late 3 against LSU. After shooting well in preseason practice, Smith missed all three 3′s he attempted in Friday’s exhibition win over Fayetteville State.

“I told our guys that I think his ascent to success will be based on his ability to shoot,” the executive said after watching a recent Maryland practice. “In college, he’s going to be able to post [inside] and have a matchup because he’s bigger and quicker."

“Really it was about February when he realized how hard you have to work to be successful,” Turgeon said. “There are so many things that we can get better at with Jalen between now and March. His disposition, his worth ethic, his confidence. He’s just totally a different kid, which is fun to see.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a ing slow offseason, so I'm going to post as much juicy info I can lmao

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bal...outputType=amp

“It’s going to help me out a lot, allow me to play a different position for a while,” Smith said of being used more as a stretch four, a power forward facing the basket and shooting from the perimeter. “Just being out on the wing, show versatility and just create offense for my team.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://dbknews.com/2020/02/17/maryl...gan-state-win/

It’s a skill that stems from one-on-one sessions with Cowan this summer, when the senior guard would challenge the Maryland forward with matchups such as Saturday’s in mind.

“You gotta be able to step up and guard guards,” Cowan told Smith.

And Smith stepped up, helping hold Winston to just one shot — a miss — in the final three minutes. Postgame, Winston admitted Smith’s reach made it hard for him to find any open looks from beyond the arc, closing down space rapidly and showing enough lateral quickness to pester the guard.

“Ant’s one of the fastest players I’ve ever played,” Smith said. “Just knowing I’m able to stay in front of him, I can stay in front of anybody.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wizards have already interviewed Jalen apparently:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...justed-process

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not sure what you can make of that. It also says that they interviewed Zeke Nnaji, and I know they aren't considering him at 9.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stat Nuggets

-Jalen Smith was 2nd in the Big Ten in Defensive Win Shares (2.4) and 4th in Defensive Rating (88.9)
    -Jalen’s 2.4 blocks per game was 2nd and his 8.2% block percentage was good for 3rd in the Big Ten
    -His combination of defensive prowess and offensive efficiency led to him having the 19th best win shares in the NCAA (6)
    -He had the 2nd best offensive rating in the Big Ten at 123.9 and true shooting percentage of 62.6%
    -Smith had the #1 effective field goal percentage in the Big Ten at 59%
    -Smith was one of the most efficient players in NCAA, finishing with the 3rd best player efficiency rating at 29.3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepain...n-smith/%3famp
    What is his weakness that cause mock draft to consistently have him in the mid 1st rounder?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is his weakness that cause mock draft to consistently have him in the mid 1st rounder?
    Everything that stems from his narrow hips, high center of gravity and thin legs. Strength to post up and defend the post, lateral quickness from stiff hips etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what you can make of that. It also says that they interviewed Zeke Nnaji, and I know they aren't considering him at 9.
    I think maybe like any team keeping their options open in case a trade opens up for other picks in the draft.

Or maybe he's just a huge riser. Not sure.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-13-2020 at 07:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uncertainty about his mobility. It's a gamble teams would need to make. One I feel would be worth it due to his work ethic and the fact that it's not hopeless (some examples in this thread) as it stands right now. I think he moves better than Metu and Luka, for example.

Work ethic examples: gaining 25 lbs after his freshman year. Improving his 3 pt shot by .100, being open to using atypical sources such as yoga, sports psychologists for help on his shot
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-13-2020 at 08:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything that stems from his narrow hips, high center of gravity and thin legs. Strength to post up and defend the post, lateral quickness from stiff hips etc.
    Hips are what differentiate NFL cornerbacks from NFL safeties. Two guys can have the same height, weight, wingspan and 40 times, and only one of them will play corner in the NFL. The physical requirements for defense are not dissimilar between the leagues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is sort of a local talent for them. Would be like a Texas team speaking with an A&M or UT kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for clarification, what I’m doing is different from pretty much everyone else here. I don’t have a weekly or monthly man crush on players. I don’t really have a dog. I’m trying to suss out who the Spurs want. Pretty much everyone else is advocating this player or that player. I’m trying to figure out who the Spurs are advocating, based on player type, Spurs draft history, and the draft pool. I don’t give a rats ass if they pick Poku, I just really think he fits the cir stances of tepid draft player pool, without even a clear #1, coupled with a mediocre pick.
    Yeah, I'm not too sure I'm on a train, especially in terms of personal investment. I think we need a game changer; picking at 11 that implies some risk. In this draft, I think Poku is the best bet... but if the FO feels otherwise, well, I will hold out hope for whomever they draft. Just like I'm hoping Samanich comes good...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Along with the time he has spent in the gym trying to improve his consistency and in the weight room to put mostly upper body muscle on his 225-pound frame, Smith — whose nickname is “Stix” — is now also working on his mind.
    Someone please buy this man a mirror and get him to add squats and deadlifts...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he is in their backyard, so quick and easy interview to set up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, by the draft comes around (whenever that is), it'd be entertaining if everyone had a horse

Going to publish my Big Board 1.0 in the next couple of days. There are some combo guards up on there. Good call
    Can’t wait for the next combo guard that they’re going to fail to convert to PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not feeling any SF in this draft......however, I love me some Vernon Carey Jr. After this thread, I love me some Jalen Smith. The 3rd player I really like is that Paul Reed kid from DePaul.

I would love to draft a player at 11 for another team and have them draft Smith and Carey. We trade our pick and a player or two for the rights to Smith and Carey. Then use our 2nd to draft the best SF available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone please buy this man a mirror and get him to add squats and deadlifts...
    To be fair, article was from November 2019

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, article was from November 2019
    True enough, but's also true that he still has skinny girly legs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like he's been getting professional basketball training since at a young age:

Video is from four years ago, 2016

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

New Jalen Smith footage (some old ones included)

I really like the way he can shoot off the dribble. Hardly any bigs do that in the NBA. Most only spot up to shoot. He recognizes screens and moves around off the ball like a wing.

Highlights for me are when he fakes out a shooter, takes one or two dribbles, then pulls up for a mid-range shot. Shows his potential as an all around shooter from anywhere on the court.

Even his misses look good. His shooting form is solid and consistent. None of his looks look forced, either. They come from the scheme of the offense (which is my critique for a couple of the prospects).

He completely obliterates a guy at 33:14

Look at the move at 37:12

Mid range spot up at 37:45. He's a threat from anywhere

Sugus

objective

BackHome
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-19-2020 at 05:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. It's a passing montage from 41:00 to 50:10. His passing and vision is not bad at all. timvp

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very random, but to me has a Kevin Willis type of personality. Polite but tough. That’s a good thing. Or maybe it’s the thin legs and over-developed arms that remind me.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 09-19-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Thread Information