Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not sure why Jeff Garcia tweeted this today...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh I guess the Spurs did interview him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Where there's smoke, there's fire?

I guess Sam Vincenze was right (a source people doubted when he reported the Spurs had interest)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I guess the Spurs did interview him.

I don't know it for a fact, but I would think that interviewing is much more serious business this year, because of all the virtual rules. Teams are limited to 20 interviews, and players are limited to 13 teams. I know that still sounds like a lot, but I don't think a team would want to waste an interview on a player they aren't really considering. Of course, I wouldn't think the Spurs would want it to be public knowledge either.

After you started posting about him, I started looking and I think I watched his worst game of the season against O State. I can see why you like him as a Spur. One of the things I like is that he improved his 3P and his FT shooting by a bunch, from the season before. To me, that says he put in a lot of work to shore up a weakness. That's always a good sign.

I also like it that he's talking about making an impact with his defense. He may just be sucking up to the Spurs, since they interviewed him. But if that's it, he's probably wise. Pop hasn't been much of a fan of guys who like to live above the rim like that.

He's got some negatives. The biggest negative is that everything I've read about him says he's a good rim protector, but not outstanding in space. He's really bad when he puts the ball on the floor, and coughs the ball up a lot. And I don't see any sign of him setting picks. If he came to the Spurs I think he'd spend more time in the Gatorade League than if he went some other places.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^hmm thanks for your post but not sure about the "not setting of picks" part. That's something he does frequently. Perhaps it wasnt captured in the footage you found? There are full games available on youtube if you search "maryland basketball full game"

He has low turnover rates compared to his peers at the PF/C position

ZeusWillJudge
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-28-2020 at 01:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I guess Sam Vincenze was right (a source people doubted when he reported the Spurs had interest)
    Nice, nice, very nice... At least we know there's mutual interest there. I'm still expecting the Spurs to (try to) pull off a draft-day trade for a vet that will net them a second FRP. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take someone like PatWill at #11, and Smith with that second FRP they might get for, say, Rudy or Patty. It's kind of a pipe dream knowing the Spurs FO, but we also have to take into account that they've seen with Keldon first-hand the benefits of picking multiple times with their drafting ability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith told reporters he has met with the Bulls, Nets, Raptors, Spurs, Suns and Wizards among others so far teams begin doing their homework.

https://www.si.com/.amp-maryland/col...mpression=true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Said he played out of position in college, believes he's a natural 4.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...position-terps

"I was pretty much playing out of position most of the year because [coach Mark] Turgeon wanted me to play the four, but most of the year I played at the five due to issues we had behind the scenes with the team," Smith said.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-28-2020 at 03:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could he be snatched right before our pick?

Or Phoenix?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice, nice, very nice... At least we know there's mutual interest there. I'm still expecting the Spurs to (try to) pull off a draft-day trade for a vet that will net them a second FRP. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take someone like PatWill at #11, and Smith with that second FRP they might get for, say, Rudy or Patty. It's kind of a pipe dream knowing the Spurs FO, but we also have to take into account that they've seen with Keldon first-hand the benefits of picking multiple times with their drafting ability.
    Getting rid of Rudy would be a major addition by subtraction on-court. Not sure about all the off-court stuff, obviously. But the dude is a cancer with his minutes on the floor with his poor BBall IQ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting rid of Rudy would be a major addition by subtraction on-court. Not sure about all the off-court stuff, obviously. But the dude is a cancer with his minutes on the floor with his poor BBall IQ.
    For sure, not to mention Rudy doesn't provide a lot of anything other than black-hole offense and the rare assist here and there. Doesn't rebound much, for sure doesn't defend much, he's a s of himself. Replacing him with an athletic big for our guards to feed off him would be massive, whether that's Smith, or Precious, or even PatWill down the line... Whomever's fine by me, as long as I don't have to watch that POS Gay with his overpaid ass slog through our court next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Full quote on KG and Jaren:

“I always try to model my game after Kevin Garnett,” Smith said. “His work ethic never (diminished) whether he was having a good game or a bad game. In the modern game, one of the people I look up to is (Memphis’) Jaren Jackson, a big that can come off screens and shoot threes and be able to attack slower defenders and just be that new, modern-day big.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Killian Hayes also had a zoom meeting with the spurs per Jeff Garcia

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    definitely one of my top prospects. Also if he's a 4 and not a 5 that's even more valuable. We need a shot blocking shooter at the 4 more than anything.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^hmm thanks for your post but not sure about the "not setting of picks" part. That's something he does frequently. Perhaps it wasnt captured in the footage you found? There are full games available on youtube if you search "maryland basketball full game"

He has low turnover rates compared to his peers at the PF/C position

ZeusWillJudge

LOL. Well he sure as turns it over less than Bruno Fernando did the year before. Fernando was a freaking TO factory, and he got NBA minutes this season.

That's the problem with not really watching a guy play and looking at clips. I'll look for those full games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    definitely one of my top prospects. Also if he's a 4 and not a 5 that's even more valuable. We need a shot blocking shooter at the 4 more than anything.
    He's a 4 with small-ball 5 potential. As a PF, his rebounding, defense, shot-blocking and shooting make him a valuable prospect. But as a C... He can develop into an invaluable archetype in the modern game: an athletic, rim-running stretch 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/amp/league/video...il-jalen-smith

Media availability interview from combine for Jalen Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/amp/league/video...il-jalen-smith

Media availability interview from combine for Jalen Smith.
    Thanks for posting!

Couple tidbits that weren't tweeted:

He said he spoke to "everybody" on the Spurs. The GMs, the assistant managers, and some of the scout personnel.

Says shooting form has gotten quicker.

Says he has been working on his dribble to attack other bigs.

Says he has noticed the hard work Bam has put in to be where he is today (in the bubble).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't look like finishing through contact is going to be an issue for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't look like finishing through contact is going to be an issue for him.
    Meh, Lonnie has a big body but it's still an issue for him. It's all in the head and good thing Jalen has shown in college that he is fearless and doesn't mind the contact unlike Lonnie.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    perfect body-structure for a modern 4 and 5. Just hope he will be available at 11th. Maybe he should do sth stupid to slow down a lil bit this hype in media so we could take him
    Last edited by spurspl; 10-02-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be surprised if he isn’t available at 11. I would take him over Poku, but not over Halliburton or Vassell, the only two that might fall to us in my opinion.

Thread Information