Got the juice!?!??
    Celtics bound imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Those handles and that beautiful shot off the dribble

OOoooOooOoOOoWeEeEEeEEeEe

Sugus
    Heeell yeah, brother. Thanks for the content. Skilled, shooting bigs are the name of the game right now, and Jalen is poised to be a solid player for years to come, with an outside shot at s om. He's just the perfect package for a 4 or even small-ball 5, you really can't ask for much else. I'm torn on whether I want the Spurs to stick to #11 and get him, or trade up to get Wiseman... Either would be good to me. Just hope one of them does end up happening

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jalen Smith became a star, you could totally market the goggles he wears lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jalen Smith became a star, you could totally market the goggles he wears lol
    He already has a marketable nickname: Stix

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He already has a marketable nickname: Stix
    Long Dix Stix

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My issue with his dribbling is his head is down the whole time in a 1 on none environment.
    It’s nice to see he’s practicing it though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My issue with his dribbling is his head is down the whole time in a 1 on none environment.
    It’s nice to see he’s practicing it though.
    Good catch, you're right. To be fair, it's definitely something he's still working on and can be developed - but I don't expect handles to ever be a strong point about him. It's more about being serviceable in these areas at an NBA level, whilst bringing his actual strengths (defense, rebounding, volume shooting) to the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thank you. We have a lot of needs on this team and Jalen Smith ain't one of them. He fixes zero issues that we have

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thank you. We have a lot of needs on this team and Jalen Smith ain't one of them. He fixes zero issues that we have
    The Spurs aren't good enough to have needs.

The draft isn't supposed to be for filling needs.

Smith would clearly have a rotation spot this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're one of those people with a broken faucet and says "it still runs water, its fine"

Theres literally going to be zero scoring output from our bigs after Aldridge is gone next year. Who are you going to rely on after he's gone?

But why am I surprised by your take? You never see the forest beyond the trees. Youre always concerned with right now instead of the plan ahead.

Are the Rockets still going to the playoffs next year? Lmfao
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-17-2020 at 04:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool. A really ty Dwight Howard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool. A really ty Dwight Howard.
    Yeah because Dwight Howard has always known how to shoot

I guess the closer you get to the draft, the more of these dumbass takes come out. Thought it would be the opposite ...since you know, that would be logical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sure any one pick is going to address this teams’ needs though. What we need is to draft is a player who has potential to become a great player, is committed to development of winning habits and is given a pathway to contribute to a team’s progression - sooner, rather than later. Smith has those tools and while he wouldn’t be my choice at #11, I can understand why to some he makes a lot of sense and is their preferred choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does he fix zero issues that we have? We've got mother ing Trey Lyles as our STARTING PF and it's not likely to change for next season, unless either Luka takes a massive jump which doesn't look likely, or we draft a PF (even then, they'd probably be Austin-bound for next season). We have no reliable 3pt shooters who can do volume and not be a defensive liability in the meantime - the closest we have is White, and he's not only not enough for the modern game, he's too passive/has a distributor role. Another need. Lastly, we're bleeding points as a team, and have been playing DeMar DeMother ingRozan at PF for long stretches of the season just because the roster is so ill-fitted. Smith projects to be a solid, reliable, defending PF who can shoot out the gym.

I'm actually really curious to know what prompted this comment, because it lacks all common sense or knowledge of the Spurs' roster/needs. Or are you just that low on Smith, that you don't think he'd ever be better than Trey Lyles?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're one of those people with a broken faucet and says "it still runs water, its fine"

Theres literally going to be zero scoring output from our bigs after Aldridge is gone next year. Who are you going to rely on after he's gone?

But why am I surprised by your take? You never see the forest beyond the trees. Youre always concerned with right now instead of the plan ahead.

Are the Rockets still going to the playoffs next year? Lmfao
    Weird take. I actually am thinking about the future. We have ONE person under contract slated to be here after this season that can dribble the basketball. That's it. ONE. That same person, DW, is also the only one who can initiate any offense. What's the plan going forward for that?

As long as they have Harden then yes they will make the playoffs. A pretty simple and straight forward answer. Harden has made the playoffs every year as a Rocket. If they do trade him, then probably won't make the playoffs, but they should get an impressive haul for him and could have a quicker rebuild than us. The Pels also have a brighter future than us, if you're talking about future and so do the Mavs. You're so hung up about the Rockets, who I admit it sounds grim right now but they are under no obligation to make any trades and remain a playoff team.

yet you stay far the away from answering about who has a better future, us or the Mavs. Us or the Pels?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird take. I actually am thinking about the future. We have ONE person under contract slated to be here after this season that can dribble the basketball. That's it. ONE. That same person, DW, is also the only one who can initiate any offense. What's the plan going forward for that?

As long as they have Harden then yes they will make the playoffs. A pretty simple and straight forward answer. Harden has made the playoffs every year as a Rocket. If they do trade him, then probably won't make the playoffs, but they should get an impressive haul for him and could have a quicker rebuild than us. The Pels also have a brighter future than us, if you're talking about future and so do the Mavs. You're so hung up about the Rockets, who I admit it sounds grim right now but they are under no obligation to make any trades and remain a playoff team.

yet you stay far the away from answering about who has a better future, us or the Mavs. Us or the Pels?
    James Harden's uncertainty is my point from the freaking beginning! A lot of IFs in your post, when we first argued about this, you were so certain about their future. Now it's "IF". You fail to see the point here. Again I say to you: things. Change. Fast. In. The. NBA. That applies to the Mavs and the Pels. The offseason isnt even done yet. Any team is one or two dumb moves away from being bad. Im not just talking about transactions. Im talking about EVERYTHING, as in the Rockets' case: their ownership. Youre quick to condemn the Spurs' management style but give free leeway to teams with a good future AT THIS MOMENT when all in a matter of a month, that team could go downhill FAST. See your hypocrisy here and wake up, dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does he fix zero issues that we have? We've got mother ing Trey Lyles as our STARTING PF and it's not likely to change for next season, unless either Luka takes a massive jump which doesn't look likely, or we draft a PF (even then, they'd probably be Austin-bound for next season). We have no reliable 3pt shooters who can do volume and not be a defensive liability in the meantime - the closest we have is White, and he's not only not enough for the modern game, he's too passive/has a distributor role. Another need. Lastly, we're bleeding points as a team, and have been playing DeMar DeMother ingRozan at PF for long stretches of the season just because the roster is so ill-fitted. Smith projects to be a solid, reliable, defending PF who can shoot out the gym.

I'm actually really curious to know what prompted this comment, because it lacks all common sense or knowledge of the Spurs' roster/needs. Or are you just that low on Smith, that you don't think he'd ever be better than Trey Lyles?
    I am more on the point guard train than a PF I know isn't going to do much for us. I'm not saying Smith is or anything but the best (in my humble opinion) he will probably be is like a 10 point a game and 7 rebound a game guy. Rookies suck on defense, but even going forward I'm not sold on his quickness to stay in front of guards in the pic n roll. He shoots pretty good from 3 but it's a weird shot. I don't know if it will translate all that well. Tbf all he needs to be is Trey Lyles on offense I suppose, but I rather have a set up man like Lewis who can create for himself and others or just dribble the ball and still can shoot.

My main issue is that he needs to be paired with an elite scorer to be effective for our team and once LMA and DDR leave, like most of us expect, we will no longer have that. Like who is supposed to create for Smith beyond maybe White? Himself? Forbes? Lonnie? Murray? Bc he needs someone to create his offense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah because Dwight Howard has always known how to shoot

I guess the closer you get to the draft, the more of these dumbass takes come out. Thought it would be the opposite ...since you know, that would be logical.
    I’m sure Dwight can knock down shots in an empty gym too. Dude can’t even pick his head up when dribbling. Plus he wears rec specs. What a lame ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Harden's uncertainty is my point from the freaking beginning! A lot of IFs in your post, when we first argued about this, you were so certain about their future. Now it's "IF". You fail to see the point here. Again I say to you: things. Change. Fast. In. The. NBA. That applies to the Mavs and the Pels. The offseason isnt even done yet. Any team is one or two dumb moves away from being bad. Im not just talking about transactions. Im talking about EVERYTHING, as in the Rockets' case: their ownership. Youre quick to condemn the Spurs' management style but give free leeway to teams with a good future AT THIS MOMENT when all in a matter of a month, that team could go downhill FAST. See your hypocrisy here and wake up, dude.
    Literally in both scenarios, Harden being gone or them trading him, Houston will have the better future.
    We have bad management though. We have bad ownership. We don't know about the GM (to be fair) but we just replaced a main stay on our team in RC. That usually doesn't end all too well. Things do change fast in the NBA... Except when they don't. Like the Wolves haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. THINGS. CHANGE. FAST.
    Kings haven't been to the playoffs since, even I don't know 2006?? THINGS. CHANGE. FAST. Phoenix hasn't been to the playoffs in like 7 years. It took the LAKERS 7 years to make the playoffs. How fast is that? Golden St made 5 finals in a row. That's not fast. Pels have won 1 playoff series in 8 years. That's not fast. Players might come and go, but it's easy to be where you're at for a good long while

Let me be clear. Pop is going to retire soon. We don't have anyone on the horizon to replace him. We are going through assistant coaches like crazy and have no clear leader among the ones we do have. So we have no future coach. RC retired from being a GM and we have Brian Wrong as his replacement. Jury is still out on him but how much do you trust a rookie GM with zero experience to guide us through a rebuild? We went from Peter Holt, to his wife, to his kids, who have zero knowledge on ho to run a team. We went from a guy who was the spokesman of the owners and respected league wide to Jim Buss. And you're laughing at the Houston Rockets for going through the exact same we are going through? That makes sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Literally in both scenarios, Harden being gone or them trading him, Houston will have the better future.
    We have bad management though. We have bad ownership. We don't know about the GM (to be fair) but we just replaced a main stay on our team in RC. That usually doesn't end all too well. Things do change fast in the NBA... Except when they don't. Like the Wolves haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. THINGS. CHANGE. FAST.
    Kings haven't been to the playoffs since, even I don't know 2006?? THINGS. CHANGE. FAST. Phoenix hasn't been to the playoffs in like 7 years. It took the LAKERS 7 years to make the playoffs. How fast is that? Golden St made 5 finals in a row. That's not fast. Pels have won 1 playoff series in 8 years. That's not fast. Players might come and go, but it's easy to be where you're at for a good long while

Let me be clear. Pop is going to retire soon. We don't have anyone on the horizon to replace him. We are going through assistant coaches like crazy and have no clear leader among the ones we do have. So we have no future coach. RC retired from being a GM and we have Brian Wrong as his replacement. Jury is still out on him but how much do you trust a rookie GM with zero experience to guide us through a rebuild? We went from Peter Holt, to his wife, to his kids, who have zero knowledge on ho to run a team. We went from a guy who was the spokesman of the owners and respected league wide to Jim Buss. And you're laughing at the Houston Rockets for going through the exact same we are going through? That makes sense
    Did you really just say the Rockets have a better future after Harden is gone?

Did you say that with a straight face?

No spilled drink on your keyboard?

Please head over to the Rockets forum and see if they believe the same thing.

For all intents and purposes, make sure you check your biases before you come up with a post like this.

No sane person thinks the same thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you really just say the Rockets have a better future after Harden is gone?

Did you say that with a straight face?

No spilled drink on your keyboard?

Please head over to the Rockets forum and see if they believe the same thing.

For all intents and purposes, make sure you check your biases before you come up with a post like this.

No sane person thinks the same thing.
    Than us? Yes. They lose their stars for picks and somewhat decent players. We lose ours for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's this overemphasis on Brian Wright's influence as a GM when it should not be a thing to worry about. RC is still holding his hand as per recent interviews. There's no reason to believe he is the puppet master in control of everything. The Spurs have always operated collectively. It's why every time it's time to hire new front office employees, anybody from the Spurs is enticing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's this overemphasis about Brian Wright's influence as a GM when it should not be a thing to worry about. RC is still holding his hand as per recent interviews. There's no reason to believe he is the puppet master in control of everything. The Spurs have always operated collectively. It's why every time it's time to hire new front office employees, anybody from the Spurs is enticing.
    So us getting new ownership, a new GM, new assistant coaches, and a head coach that is going to retire soon doesn’t have any negative effects on our long term future??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rockets could easily end up with a better future than the Spurs . . .

- Harden for Simmons+
    - Westbrook to Hornets/Knicks for some or all of: salary relief (Batum/Zeller/Portis/Ellington), a young veteran starter (Rozier/Randle), failed prospects (Monk/Smith Jr.), a 2nd round pick(s)
    - Tucker to a contender for salary relief and 2 1sts (he's older but more durable than Covington, so if he could fetch it, why not?)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So us getting new ownership, a new GM, new assistant coaches, and a head coach that is going to retire soon doesn’t have any negative effects on our long term future??
    What is the Spurs' track record or pattern of their behavior and philosophies?

They have always preached and marched on continuity.

There's more reason to give them the benefit of the doubt than it is to doubt them and believe they're going to just let it "gone with the wind".

Until there is a display of erratic behavior or an unwillingness to learn from their mistakes, then there is no reason to think otherwise.

Thread Information