Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching the video I believe he really needs to work more on his legs, it seems that posting and banging in the post are areas for improvement. A fair number of misses seems to be hitting the front rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

New Jalen Smith footage (some old ones included)

I really like the way he can shoot off the dribble. Hardly any bigs do that in the NBA. Most only spot up to shoot. He recognizes screens and moves around off the ball like a wing.

Highlights for me are when he fakes out a shooter, takes one or two dribbles, then pulls up for a mid-range shot. Shows his potential as an all around shooter from anywhere on the court.

Even his misses look good. His shooting form is solid and consistent. None of his looks look forced, either. They come from the scheme of the offense (which is my critique for a couple of the prospects).

He completely obliterates a guy at 33:14

Look at the move at 37:12

Mid range spot up at 37:45. He's a threat from anywhere

Sugus

objective

BackHome
    All steals from 1:18:51 to 1:22:42

His awareness for disrupting the passing lanes are excellent and he has a knack for poking the ball free from the ball handler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All switching defense plays shown from 1:29:29 to 1:37:50

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am watching the scouting video and it does have clips from his freshman year.

I wouldn't mind if it was in sequence to show improvement. But it's all jumbled together and could give the wrong impression if it's a suspect play from last season that he's already improved at

Watching the rest now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you go on Jalen Smith's twitter, he retweeted this:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is almost everything you would want in a big man nowadays.

My favorite.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you go on Jalen Smith's twitter, he retweeted this:

If jalen smith is a spurs fan hes my top1 at 11th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is he compared to JJJ from Memphis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't watched JJJ much, maybe I will watch him later. All I know is he makes a lot of back breaking 3s, and sure, I could see Jalen doing that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not as mobile. Not sure who's bigger, but JJJ had a huge wingspan 7'5.25", and was a big-time shot blocker. JJJ shot a better 3P% on more attempts/game, and shot a better FT%... http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...ren-jackson-jr

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not as mobile. Not sure who's bigger, but JJJ had a huge wingspan 7'5.25", and was a big-time shot blocker. JJJ shot a better 3P% on more attempts/game, and shot a better FT%... http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...ren-jackson-jr
    I would be careful to use this comparison page. JJJ played 22 minutes (compared to Jalen's 31) and they're skewing his numbers based on higher productivity per 36.

It's like Boban's superstar numbers per 36. Just because he does it in less minutes, you never assume he will or could. Otherwise, Boban would have been a star years ago.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be careful to use this comparison page. JJJ played 22 minutes (compared to Jalen's 31) and they're skewing his numbers based on higher productivity per 36.

It's like Boban's superstar numbers per 36. Just because he does it in less minutes, you never assume he will or could. Otherwise, Boban would have been a star years ago.
    Or a victim of Marfan discrimination??

But seriously, back to Jalen, his lack of fluidity compared to JJJ has to be one reason he has a lower ceiling, right? I’m asking and still getting up to speed on Jalen. To me, so far, he looks highly functional in the NBA but not a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or a victim of Marfan discrimination??

But seriously, back to Jalen, his lack of fluidity compared to JJJ has to be one reason he has a lower ceiling, right? I’m asking and still getting up to speed on Jalen. To me, so far, he looks highly functional in the NBA but not a star.
    Jalen's appeal to me isn't his upside as a star (even though I believe there is some chance due to the Spurs development staff) but his ready-to-play quality. He makes game winning plays and knows where to be on the court. I believe he would be able to find minutes easily and may replace Lyles as a starter.

At the 11th pick, that's great value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he and Luka can start together then I think you make the pick to me that is the question is can they co exist together. To me I think they can and I like that Smith doesn’t need the ball in his hands to to effective and I like what he brings to the defense and just his whole approach to getting better every year.

White
    DJ
    Keldon
    Smith
    Luka

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfairly or not, I see Jalen as everything I wanted Metu to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen is the type of player similar to Tony and Manu where NBA casuals were in denial for the first five years of their career thinking they weren't all stars because although their numbers were solid, they werent eye popping like most of the empty stat all stars during that time.

Jalen impacts winning.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he and Luka can start together then I think you make the pick to me that is the question is can they co exist together. To me I think they can and I like that Smith doesn’t need the ball in his hands to to effective and I like what he brings to the defense and just his whole approach to getting better every year.

White
    DJ
    Keldon
    Smith
    Luka
    I think that they compliment each other quite well. Both can play the perimeter, both can go inside. Both can put it on the floor. Smith is the better rebounder, shot blocker. Luka I think ends up as the better scorer and playmaker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm kind of digging this guy as a possible Spur. He physically looks like freeze-dried version of David Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When i first saw this i misread it as Jaden Smith.
    Thought maybe this got had his daddy buy him a draft spot in some publicity stunt.
    Warriors or Lakers being a fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it was how JJJ was utilized, but it seems he's more of a face up forward than a low post one. I didn't see any low post action from him from the footage I looked at. He hangs out in the perimeter like a small forward a lot, doesnt really bang down low on offense like Jalen. So, there are probably better comparisons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it was how JJJ was utilized, but it seems he's more of a face up forward than a low post one. I didn't see any low post action from him from the footage I looked at. He hangs out in the perimeter like a small forward a lot, doesnt really bang down low on offense like Jalen. So, there are probably better comparisons.
    It's because their games are really different. JJJ isn't a good comparison to Smith. Jackson plays much more like a "unicorn" in the sense that he plays like a forward and shoots like a guard, in a C's body. He can do some nasty stuff, and there's a reason he was picked #4. I see Smith as a more "traditional" big man in the sense that he, as you said, prefers to play back to the basket or be a roll man instead of trying to dribble, penetrate, or create. But the thing about Smith is that, on top of his post and around-the-rim game, he's also a solid shooter from outside, which makes him a really versatile player (not unlike JJJ himself).

I've been thinking about it and I might rather have Jalen than even Precious. That shooting ability from your 4/5 is just a game-changer in the modern NBA... And would allow the Spurs a LOT of roster flexibility going forward in terms of spacing, not to mention provide a solid PnR partner for our many guards to feed off of, that can actually finish a play (looking at you Jakob, we don't need more no-O players on the team). And the fit with Luka is seamless, IMO, you can have one working close to the basket whilst the other stretches out the defense beyond the 3pt line to provide further space. There's a lot of potential on such a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am starting to lean toward this guy. Every draft season good or bad is the same, the more you look at the prospect, the more excited you get and talk yourself into how each one would fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's because their games are really different. JJJ isn't a good comparison to Smith. Jackson plays much more like a "unicorn" in the sense that he plays like a forward and shoots like a guard, in a C's body. He can do some nasty stuff, and there's a reason he was picked #4. I see Smith as a more "traditional" big man in the sense that he, as you said, prefers to play back to the basket or be a roll man instead of trying to dribble, penetrate, or create. But the thing about Smith is that, on top of his post and around-the-rim game, he's also a solid shooter from outside, which makes him a really versatile player (not unlike JJJ himself).

I've been thinking about it and I might rather have Jalen than even Precious. That shooting ability from your 4/5 is just a game-changer in the modern NBA... And would allow the Spurs a LOT of roster flexibility going forward in terms of spacing, not to mention provide a solid PnR partner for our many guards to feed off of, that can actually finish a play (looking at you Jakob, we don't need more no-O players on the team). And the fit with Luka is seamless, IMO, you can have one working close to the basket whilst the other stretches out the defense beyond the 3pt line to provide further space. There's a lot of potential on such a team.
    Sos argento?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tomó la foto del flaco para que te dieras cuenta? séh, de Capital. Te vengo siguiendo a vos, Daffy, así que ni te pregunto lo mismo... De qué parte sos? Veo que somos bastantes argies acá en el foro. No me puedo imaginar tener que lidiar con los boludos que hay por acá desde hace más de una década igual... Jajaja

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tomó la foto del flaco para que te dieras cuenta? séh, de Capital. Te vengo siguiendo a vos, Daffy, así que ni te pregunto lo mismo... De qué parte sos? Veo que somos bastantes argies acá en el foro. No me puedo imaginar tener que lidiar con los boludos que hay por acá desde hace más de una década igual... Jajaja
    De chubú.

Thread Information