Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The full length video finally came out today.

Mike thinks he'll play the 4 in the NBA. He thinks he's the "perfect fit" in today's game.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 10-12-2020 at 10:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless someone unexpectedly falls or the Spurs make some drastic roster changes, I think this is where the Spurs go at 11. I’m high on him and would be good with it. I’d love to have a second pick in the 8-16 range also. I think there’s a lot of good talent in this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems kind of stiff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to admit, the legs do look out of proportion. Even Poku's legs look beefier. But looks can be deceiving. Look at a guy like Tayshaun Prince-- he was rail thin from head to toe and was the premiere NBA Iron Man from '03-'09: he played an incredible 82 games per year six seasons in a row!

https://www.basketball-reference.com...princta01.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just look at David Robinson’s picture and I think he did OK if I am not mistaken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if this has been posted, but here is RC at a Maryland game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How the did you find this lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everytime I see RC scouting players, he's always super focused on his phone. Probably typing some serious notes

Everytime RC is reported as scouting a prospect, it's that prospect we end up drafting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the did you find this lol
    Circulating on "spurs twitter"

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn! That's when I knew the Spurs were serious about Sammich. That's a good find.

Everytime RC is reported as scouting a prospect, it's that prospect we end up drafting.

I didn't see your comment before I posted. It's not a guarantee they will draft him, but it's a damn good sign of their interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Jalen Smith liked this tweet:

Hmmmmmmmm when there's smoke, there's fire??

Edit: he also liked a tweet from Trae Young and Kyle Kuzma

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A year or two down the road I could see Smith and Samanic fitting together really well in a starting unit. If we stay at 11 I'd be more than ok with this pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A year or two down the road I could see Smith and Samanic fitting together really well in a starting unit. If we stay at 11 I'd be more than ok with this pick.
    White
    M. Jones
    Keldon
    Samanic
    Smith

*Salivates*

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So all signs are pointing to the Suns taking Smith at #10 then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know some of you don't like mock drafts and the analysts who get paid to do them but most of them see him as a reach at #11. If he can be had later in the round, we might as well trade down, right?

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know some of you don't like mock drafts and the analysts who get paid to do them but most of them see him as a reach at #11. If he can be had later in the round, we might as well trade down, right?
    i doubt we can get sth worthy in return by trading down few spots. plus we take a risk i guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm warming to him, but, still have a hard time seeing him head-to-head with players like AD, Zion, LeBron, Bam, Embiid and the list goes on. His gait is odd, not very fast and it is hard to gauge his intensity.

His BB IQ and at ude seem right on the money and he has a sweet stroke from 3.

Damn, this is the weirdest offseason ever. These guys get drafted and the season starts 2 weeks later?!?!?

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm warming to him, but, still have a hard time seeing him head-to-head with players like AD, Zion, LeBron, Bam, Embiid and the list goes on. His gait is odd, not very fast and it is hard to gauge his intensity.

His BB IQ and at ude seem right on the money and he has a sweet stroke from 3.

Damn, this is the weirdest offseason ever. These guys get drafted and the season starts 2 weeks later?!?!?
    theres noone in the 1st rnd of this draft who can guard guys u mentioned, maybe except wiseman and achiuwa. but there are a couple of big decent defenders in a 2nd rnd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theres noone in the 1st rnd of this draft who can guard guys u mentioned, maybe except wiseman and achiuwa. but there are a couple of big decent defenders in a 2nd rnd.
    Right. Good teams rarely rely on 1 on 1 lockdown defenders, they usually have a game plan to limit the other players around the opposing star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, yeah guarding those types, no way. I literally meant it is hard to see Smith running up and down the court with them. Something seems off with him body-wise. Either way, if he's the guy, we could probably do much worse.
    Do other teams still try to poach Spurs picks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, yeah guarding those types, no way. I literally meant it is hard to see Smith running up and down the court with them. Something seems off with him body-wise. Either way, if he's the guy, we could probably do much worse.
    Do other teams still try to poach Spurs picks?
    I know for sure Jalen won't have a problem running up and down the court behind Embiid

The body thing that's "weird" (to me at least) is the disproportion between his upper and lower body. I'm not a sports physiologist or close to it, so as to make a claim on whether it's a good or bad condition to have (rather, a bad or not-bad condition, since I guess lower body mass is hardly really "good"), but having watched a lot of his games, he never seems to be hindered by it; he's a good leaper, can dunk, is athletic, doesn't look too slow nor flat-footed. And as others have said, you don't really draft a #11 pick thinking whether or not they can go up against the FMVP runner-up, or the second and third best C's in the league... I'm still not convinced Smith can't play PF, but it'll depend on the way the league trends as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His skill set is tantalising, no doubt.

My biggest concerns though stem from him being a pre dominant 4 man at the next level, which I think limits his value.

Who do you pair with him at the 5?

He seems like a big who plays smaller than his size - which is a problem because I am unsure of how he guards in space and on switches yet seems to get overpowered by (bigger) wings/bigs on the block.

He also seems to get pushed and nestled out of rebounding position quite often.

Happy to eat humble pie on this, and will support whoever we draft - but if Wiseman/Double O off the table, would like to look at Stewart or Reggie Perry in certain scenarios if we are going for a big.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My biggest concerns though stem from him being a pre dominant 4 man at the next level, which I think limits his value.

He seems like a big who plays smaller than his size - which is a problem because I am unsure of how he guards in space and on switches yet seems to get overpowered by (bigger) wings/bigs on the block.

Happy to eat humble pie on this, and will support whoever we draft - but if Wiseman/Double O off the table, would like to look at Stewart or Reggie Perry in certain scenarios if we are going for a big.
    I see Stewart getting mentioned more and more. I'm trying to make sense of his style of play and if it will translate. He has a huge wingspan but very little vertical lift. He seems to have a Michael Cage or Zach Randolph type of game with a super soft touch around the rim. But Stewart appears to be an anachronism being mostly an inside presence and I think Jalen's outside shooting gives him a better upside in the modern game. Personally, for reasons I can't justify, I'm interested in Tyrese Maxey for the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think rebounding is more instinctual than it is about strength. Jalen was one of the top rebounding college players despite occasionally being pushed off balance. Not only that, but I noticed he has a knack for tipping off rebounds properly to nearby teammates, sort of how Timmy used to do. This is a valuable skill and usually leads to clutch play. Just an overall smart player that this team needs. Regarding his other deficiencies, it seems he has the character to seek help in places that aren't typical. When he was having issues with his shot, he sought after a sports psychologist. Recently, he took up yoga. Match him with a resourceful organization like the Spurs and his development will skyrocket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Stewart getting mentioned more and more. I'm trying to make sense of his style of play and if it will translate. He has a huge wingspan but very little vertical lift. He seems to have a Michael Cage or Zach Randolph type of game with a super soft touch around the rim. But Stewart appears to be an anachronism being mostly an inside presence and I think Jalen's outside shooting gives him a better upside in the modern game. Personally, for reasons I can't justify, I'm interested in Tyrese Maxey for the team.
    I agree. Stewart reminds me of Marv from Sin City and Dwight’s description of such. (1:20 mark of the vid below.)
    The thing is for me, you have to game plan - as opposition, for his post touches and rebounding - things I am sure will translate to the NBA.
    If his passing and shooting have improved as reported, he could really be a force - that ‘gravity’ type of player.

With he and Keldon, we would have our own version of ‘Wild Stallyns’.

Thread Information