Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My argument was that he's not a 4, especially on Defense, (and let's be honest, that's the bread and butter of all lineup discussions). I provided some clips to show why that would be problematic.
    Happy for you to provide videos, evidence to the contrary.

Bringing in Keldon or McD to the discussion, (widely acknowledged defensive liabilities, who also just happen to be Spurs), to prop up an argument that we should sign Smith as a 4, (currently unable to play that position effectively, also not a Spur), just because he can be as inept defensively on the perimeter seems somewhat counter productive to me.
    Keldon and McD aren’t irrelevant to the discussion. They were the occupants of the 4 spot this year. Any new 4 needs to use them as a yardstick.

You used 4 short snippets to determine that he can only defend the interior, can’t defend on the perimeter, gets worked on the boards by guards. That’s the definition of cherry-picking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon and McD aren’t irrelevant to the discussion. They were the occupants of the 4 spot this year. Any new 4 needs to use them as a yardstick.

You used 4 short snippets to determine that he can only defend the interior, can’t defend on the perimeter, gets worked on the boards by guards. That’s the definition of cherry-picking.
    The burden of proof lies with you.
    I've provided you with evidence, admittedly a small sample size or 'Cherry-Picked' as you pointed out to why he's not a PF, meaning it should be easy for you to find four or more clips that refute my claim, or, at the very least, add talking points to the discussion. Happy hunting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've provided you with evidence, admittedly a small sample size or 'Cherry-Picked' as you pointed out to why he's not a PF, meaning it should be easy for you to find four or more clips that refute my claim, or, at the very least, add talking points to the discussion. Happy hunting.
    https://youtu.be/uQ7qnBd7My4

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really difficult to find clips showing against what you show. He defended against step back, penetration and some bigs. If we only wanna show very limited evidence for a point we can find evidence easily. It's only when a large sample size being shown then a conclusion can be drawn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You showed a highlight package of him mostly playing as a 5 and the occasional possession where he was 4.

I don’t think Smith is a bad defender overall btw. The discussion was is he a 4. I’m convinced he’s not. Your heavily edited clip strengthens my case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should definitely go after him. Although he's not really starter caliber, our only real PF is KBD and Smith is definitely the better player

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You showed a highlight package of him mostly playing as a 5 and the occasional possession where he was 4.

I don’t think Smith is a bad defender overall btw. The discussion was is he a 4. I’m convinced he’s not. Your heavily edited clip strengthens my case.
    I am not advocating him to be a 4 or 5, you might even be right that he is more suited to be a 5. However I am saying that your clips are limited and might not exactly paint a picture of what he can or cannot do. The clips might have him playing 5 but it also has parts where he play with McGee or you saying McGee is playing 4. He also play decent defend on Tatum and Bridges 2 very good 4. The Spurs even play Landale as 4 with Poeltl and Collins to some good effects. Of course J Smith would not be our dream 4 or long term 4 but personally I would prefer him as our 4 than KJ/McD. It's not as if KJ/McD is very good at defending the 4, at least J Smith would give additional length for rebound and help/interior defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Listened to some pacers podcasts and none of them seemed too heartbroken at losing him, don't think any considered him starting material

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Listened to some pacers podcasts and none of them seemed too heartbroken at losing him, don't think any considered him starting material
    They almost can’t keep him, with that contract. Why be excited in that case? If the Spurs had traded for him, I’d have written him off, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exstatic, I owe you an apology mate.

Pacers held a Press Conference to announce the Smith signing (below) and at 6:35 mark a reporter basically states that Carlisle named him as the starting PF heading into the season.

So apologies, Eating Crow as I type this...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still very surprised he didn’t get more money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still very surprised he didn’t get more money.
    Probably think that as a starting PF, he would eventually earn more in the long run as oppose to get a couple M more and get buried on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exstatic, I owe you an apology mate.

Pacers held a Press Conference to announce the Smith signing (below) and at 6:35 mark a reporter basically states that Carlisle named him as the starting PF heading into the season.

So apologies, Eating Crow as I type this...

No worries. It was a fluid situation until we drafted a PF in the draft. As XDT said, he probably wasn’t too jazzed to accept a bench role at 22.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop don’t guarantee spots very often…… good for him though

Thread Information