Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/09/...o-suitors.html

“However, the Wolves aren’t the only team with an eye on Campazzo. The Mavericks and Spurs are also potential suitors, according to Martinez, who notes that San Antonio head coach Gregg Popovich is a fan of the 29-year-old. The two Southwest rivals have previously been cited as having interest in Campazzo.”

Seems like BS article. Haven’t heard of this guy. Worth a FA signing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    29 is not that old. Wouldn't mind it if we traded away Murray or Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This adds more fuel to the idea that Murray/DeRozan won't be on the team next year. You can totally argue that the team needs a PG anyway in place of Forbes/Beli because if White starts the second unit doesn't have much ball-handling. But the tea leaves seem to be looking like the Spurs will at least look into shopping DJM, and DeRozan will have his options. Quinn is okay for a deep-bench prospect, but he's not going to stop a vet from making the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/09/...o-suitors.html

[FONT="]“However, the Wolves aren’t the only team with an eye on Campazzo. The [/FONT]Mavericks[FONT="] and [/FONT]Spurs[FONT="] are also potential suitors, according to Martinez, who notes that San Antonio head coach [/FONT]Gregg Popovich[FONT="] is a fan of the 29-year-old. The two Southwest rivals have [/FONT]previously been cited as having interest in Campazzo.”

Seems like BS article. Haven’t heard of this guy. Worth a FA signing?
    He's by far the most talented Argentine player right now. Lead the team to silver on last years' WC (wins over favourites Serbia and France). One of the best players in Europe. Spur fans would love him, he has that Argie BB mixture of high IQ, flashyness and compe ive spirit. He's really short though (5'10") and I don't think he fits a need. If the Spurs were still contenders and needed a good backup PG I would be all for it (should have signed him instead of Laprovittola some years ago), but right now? It's a non needle-moving sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if this is just a rehash from the article back in April and they just pulled the information from that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news4sa...cundo-campazzo

Also, why would a Croatian news source have scoop on an Argentinian guard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if this is just a rehash from the article back in April and they just pulled the information from that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news4sa...cundo-campazzo

Also, why would a Croatian news source have scoop on an Argentinian guard?
    Europe is much more interconnected when it comes to basketball than you'd think considering the different domestic leagues and such. It's hard to really contextualize for Americans since we have an ocean between us and any legit domestic leagues. But in Europe, it's pretty much a super org with players moving between leagues and getting bought out and all that mess all the time.

That's a long-winded way to say that it's not weird that a Croatian news source would be able to scoop what a Spanish League player is doing. It would be less weird than say a Blazers reporter scooping who a Knicks player is signing with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An older Argentine with an Italian name?

Nah, he'll never make it with the Spurs . . .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    29 is not that old. Wouldn't mind it if we traded away Murray or Mills.
    Next year youll see Murray will be better. If we can get rid of DDr and LMA then the young guys will be better. Most of them play with lack of confidence. Murray tries to over compensate and pushes to much sometimes. Keldon was the only one that seemed to keep confidence up even when not getting the touches but was such a small sample to know if he could keep it up. So many people are basing the players off of the bubble.

Lonnie is the one to me that should be looked at being traded. I think he will continue to be inconsistent and will never be a big player. I also think he has the shortest career of the young 4.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    undo Crapcazzo, is he Belinelli's brother or some ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me give y'all some additional insight on this, since I'd love for the Spurs to sign Campazzo.

First off, I haven't seen a reliable source linking Campazzo to the Spurs since the April report. But this is probably coming out now since Spain's Supercopa was played two days ago, between Real Madrid (featuring Argies Facundo Campazzo, Gabriel Deck and Nicolás Laprovíttola) and Barcelona (trotting out Spurstalk beloved Leandro Bolmaro); in this match, Campazzo poured in 21pts, 4rb, 2as & 1stl in 33min of play, which earned him FMVP honors. It's notable that Facundo has won Finals MVP honors in the last 4 consecutive Finals that he's played with Madrid, all close in span (Liga ACB & Supercopa 2019, Copa del Rey 2020, Supercopa 2020). You can see some tape on his latest performance here:

The guy is a wizard, pure heart, hustle and brains. He'd be an extremely underrated addition, and would produce instantly since he's already at the peak of his game. And another piece of upside that people don't think about - this guy would make a great mentor and locker room presence to our young guys. He's won on his own already, he's led his NT, he knows what it takes. I'd love to see White, Keldon, maybe even DJ if he's not traded, learning from him and working with him to get better.

Worth mentioning that another article (in Spanish) that I found from yesterday, mentions he's striken a deal with Madrid: they allow him to leave for the NBA when the 2021-2022 FA signing period begins, but he had to play for them until it opened, which included yesterday's game, and he also has to pay the full extent of his exit clause (about 6 million euros). Also mentions that Campazzo had already made his wishes clear to the FO "a long time ago".

Lastly, for anyone who's also interested in Laprovittola, he'll apparently be granted a bigger role on Real now that Campazzo's leaving: Nico almost left to sign with Panathinaikos of Greece, having been told by Madrid that they didn't have a lot of interest in him, but after learning about Campazzo's wishes, the club retained him. Worth mentioning that Nico's been heavily under the shadow of Campazzo on the team: in yesterday's game, he had 2pts and 2rbs in only 6min of playing time.

By the way, yesterday's game was tied at 66 until a minute to go in the fourth, where Campazzo, who'd scored 12 of his team's 22 points in the 4th, took over with a wild shot (shown in the highlight) to seal the game. Clutch. Give me this guy's defensive woes over DeMar's any day of the week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would be an improvement for sure. He's easily better (at least offensively) than any Spurs guard right now with the exception of maybe White, but what's the point of getting him at this point? He would only be taking minutes away from the guys we are trying to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs are really interested in him it would probably mean they want to move Patty. Just my 2 cents. Campazzo would come off the bench and is a defensive liability, he could be a cheaper Patty replacement with better playmaking skills

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him a lot. Laprovittola is a tough bas , and I would have liked to see the Spurs keep him as a backup. But Campazzo is what I hoped Lap would grow into - except one thing. He's 5'10" tall, and I don't think his wingspan is much more than that, if any more. It's getting harder for guys that size to play in the NBA. But he's a damn good point, and more in the mold of Avery Johnson than anyone the Spurs have had since Avery Johnson.

Anyone who hasn't watched him play - he's strong and he's not afraid to use it. You know how sick it is to watch teams apply back court pressure to Forbes, and see him get stopped like a deer in the headlights? That wouldn't happen with Campazzo. He would change the whole complexion of this team. I'm not saying he would be an All Star, but the Spurs are so deficient in that area that it would be a big lift. DeRozan would get the ball more when he has an advantage and is already moving downhill, which would make him MUCH more dangerous - and that's just one example.

I don't know about this rumor. It would make a difference if the Spurs had someone in the gym where he played yesterday. But Sugus also says he would have to pay 6M Euro to get out of his deal with Madrid? I don't know how that could be overcome. But with him here, Pop could get creative with White/Murray and the PG/SG minutes. It would open up a whole lot of possibilities.

One thing that's sort of fun to think about. At 5'10" Campazzo weighs almost exactly the same as Aleksej Pokusevski, who's 7' tall, but he's not slowed down by it. There's always a question mark about how a Euro player will translate to the NBA, but I would take a chance on Campazzo, for sure... assuming the money situation can be worked out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be happy to have him if we get rid of mills /forbes and maybe even Murray otherwise he would just add more redundancy to an all ready very redundant roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he comes to Texas it will probably be with the Mavs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be happy to have him if we get rid of mills /forbes and maybe even Murray otherwise he would just add more redundancy to an all ready very redundant roster.

Get rid of Mills and Forbes, and draft Vassell for his 3P shooting and as a defensive upgrade to both of those guys. Vassell is also a good rebounder. The Spurs could have the best rebounding guard corps in the league. That's a good start toward becoming compe ive again.

The more I think about the Spurs having Campazzo running the offense, the more I hope there's something to the rumor. But I agree, only if they they made some other moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get rid of Mills and Forbes, and draft Vassell for his 3P shooting and as a defensive upgrade to both of those guys. Vassell is also a good rebounder. The Spurs could have the best rebounding guard corps in the league. That's a good start toward becoming compe ive again.

The more I think about the Spurs having Campazzo running the offense, the more I hope there's something to the rumor. But I agree, only if they they made some other moves.
    Fair enough, he may be all you say and more, but if you are such an advocate for him then I don't want to see any complaints from you about small PGs.

Not sure if that's ever been your complaint but this board survives on the blood of hatred for small PGs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering how much he should pay his ex team the only way to have him could be via MLE...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough, he may be all you say and more, but if you are such an advocate for him then I don't want to see any complaints from you about small PGs.

Not sure if that's ever been your complaint but this board survives on the blood of hatred for small PGs.

Heh. If you look up a few posts, that's the first thing I said about him - height and wingspan. I don't hate on anyone who gets the job done. I don't hate on Mills because he's an undersized PG. I hate on Mills because he's an undersized 2 guard who plays the point, and can't defend for . Campazzo is also tough, and that's something this team can always use more of.

I'll make you a deal. IF the Spurs do sign him, and he's not good, I'll complain like everyone else - but I'll change my sig to a disclaimer saying I was dumb for wanting to bring him here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he the guy that sang the national anthem in front of the Queen at the Angels game back in 1988?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he the guy that sang the national anthem in front of the Queen at the Angels game back in 1988?
    Wait, I thought he was the guy who sang the national anthem in the first Naked Gun movie...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a backup plan if Forbes walks. I don’t foresee it, but always dumb teams out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would be a great fit with Luka Doncic and the Mavs. Their JJ Barea replacement. I suspect the Mavs will try to pry him from Madrid (Luka's former team) more than the Spurs will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heh. If you look up a few posts, that's the first thing I said about him - height and wingspan. I don't hate on anyone who gets the job done. I don't hate on Mills because he's an undersized PG. I hate on Mills because he's an undersized 2 guard who plays the point, and can't defend for . Campazzo is also tough, and that's something this team can always use more of.

I'll make you a deal. IF the Spurs do sign him, and he's not good, I'll complain like everyone else - but I'll change my sig to a disclaimer saying I was dumb for wanting to bring him here.
    Not necessary. I'm a believer in talent regardless of size...mostly.

I have zero problem with Mills because he stays in front of his man more often than not, which is why he draws charges more than most on the team. That can't be said about Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he comes to Texas it will probably be with the Mavs.
    He would be Juan Barea 2.0. Carlisle would love him.

Thread Information