Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think I have seen this discussed.

The rumor I heard was that the league wants the regular season to start on Christmas Day. That's a quick turnaround of 5 weeks after the draft, but desperate times call for desperate measures (my liege, dammit I couldn't avoid saying that, I just watched Aladdin, RIP Robin Williams ).

Teams have normally played around 30 games by that point, so does the league just have a 52-game regular season and start the playoffs in mid-April as normal? Or try to phase back to a normal schedule over a year or two by playing into August or so next season? That would allow for more regular season games.

I know owners don't want a shorter regular season going forward because it means less ticket revenue, but at this point there's no telling when and how many fans will be allowed to attend games; will the TV contract be pro-rated for how many games are played compared to 82? Lots of moving parts here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure they are planning on keeping late December/early January as the regular start of season moving forward. So yeah, it would make for a quick turn around this year but things would be back to normal next off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    0 NBA basketball is definitely irregular in the way played. Seriously 65 game season starts Jan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read somewhere about the Xmas start time rumor too-- can't remember where.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    66 games, roughly similar to the 2012 season imo.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA's problem, not mine. TBH

Hope people keep tuning out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think I have seen this discussed.

The rumor I heard was that the league wants the regular season to start on Christmas Day. That's a quick turnaround of 5 weeks after the draft, but desperate times call for desperate measures (my liege, dammit I couldn't avoid saying that, I just watched Aladdin, RIP Robin Williams ).

Teams have normally played around 30 games by that point, so does the league just have a 52-game regular season and start the playoffs in mid-April as normal? Or try to phase back to a normal schedule over a year or two by playing into August or so next season? That would allow for more regular season games.

I know owners don't want a shorter regular season going forward because it means less ticket revenue, but at this point there's no telling when and how many fans will be allowed to attend games; will the TV contract be pro-rated for how many games are played compared to 82? Lots of moving parts here.
    NBA will try their best to get back on the schedule for XMas to get that holiday TV / ad revenue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they try to play 82 games I can see them doing some crazy stuff like back to back to back games.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They should just sit out until their is a vaccine and herd immunity is attained.

Like that, it gives them all the time in the world to pout about how terrible it is to reside in this country as multi-millionaires. And when they return they will be eager to play and we have fans in the stands. This bubble season was well orchestrated in that in never turned into a covid toilet, but overall it's just been bizarre as and I hope we never see another one like it.
    Last edited by Dirks_Finale; 09-18-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Thread Information