Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AD is the best big man in the game. Greek Freak does not hit that shot.
    Just proved point AD not LBJ should have been a top MVP candidate versus stat stuffer LBJ

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Just proved point AD not LBJ should have been a top MVP candidate versus stat stuffer LBJ
    Who cares? I don't

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    There’s an argument that AD has been the Lakers MVP this season and should have been higher in the League MVP voting over LeBron. But it’s nit-picking. He and LeBron are fairly equal in terms of value and importance to the team’s success. You can say adding him to the Lakers improved them from a non-playoff team to winning the West. But you would be ignoring the fact that the Lakers were a playoff team and even in position for a high seed last year before LeBron got injured. You’d also be ignoring that Davis’ team last year was also a non playoff team. LeBron gets the benefit of the doubt because for a decade plus, he’s been the main reason his teams have been not only playoff contenders year after year but legitimate le contenders before last season. So sure, reputation and history had something to do with LeBron being viewed as more important, while AD having intermittent and inconsistent team success as the lone franchise player also had something to do with it.

In truth, I think voters got it right for the top 2 MVP candidates, Giannis and LeBron, in that order based on the regular season. I don’t think LeBron has a legit gripe why it shouldn’t have been a landslide voting result. Personally, I’d probably have Luka 3rd. And then Davis. Davis should have been 4th imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough to be mvp when you're playing with another top player. It hurt Shaq during that first 3peat and in 2005, and it's what hurt Timmy after Manu and Tony ascended.

In this particular case, LeBron is obviously the engine of the Lakers and has been grooming AD mentally for those takeover moments. But it's tough to argue against a guy who had similar success and better stats with lesser teammates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron has been the MVP since he entered the league. He's done more to get teams out of the and into the Finals (including attracting other talent) than any player during his tenure and it's not even close. Still, the MVP award criteria changes all the time, and it's largely an NBA marketing gimmick where they reward whatever scheme they feel is the most economically productive at the time. It was triple doubles under stat , then it was Harden's RS FT line marathons, and now it's the guy who gets the nobody Bucks to the East playoffs with the best RS record. It IS a RS award. Playoffs have nothing to do with it.

Thread Information