Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both current candidates have been recently vetted. Lagoa especially blew through confirmation 80-15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The political calculations on both sides are highly entertaining.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Packing the court if they gain control of the Senate is simply the threat they have to use to get the GOP to hold off until after the election.

I would fully back such an effort. GOP wants bare knuckle bull when they have control of the Senate, then they need to live with the consequences of overriding the minority, when they are the minority.

Our schlorotic government will get worse, and less will be done in the future if the fascist party ever regains control of either part of the legislative.
    I'm all for making that threat but if they get the white house and a senate majority, they need to nuke the filibuster no matter how this SCOTUS nomination plays out, and once that happens they should stack the court either way since you can bet your ass it's what the GOP would do in a situation where they had full control and no filibuster (McConnell effectively reduced SCOTUS from 9 to 8 for a full year, so I'm not sure how that's any different than stacking the court). I don't want to see Schumer get mind ed by Mitch where he agrees to keep the filibuster in place n exchange for Mitch leaving the seat alone.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Both current candidates have been recently vetted. Lagoa especially blew through confirmation 80-15.
    Trump said it's down to "four or five" candidates, but I've gotta think it's just Lagoa and that bible . Not even Trump could get away with nominating a man after just saying it would be a woman.

Does anyone know Lagoa's track record on abortion? Bible is clearly pro life, but don't know much about Lagoa.

The political calculations on both sides are highly entertaining.
    Yeah that's the redeeming part of this. It's something you'd expect to see in House of Cards or Veep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they lose the election because they shift everyone's focus to an impeachment hearing, it goes from a possibility to a certainty bodily autonomy and voting rights get attacked for the next 4 years.

The last time they impeached Trump it did absolutely nothing to stop him, not sure what makes you think another impeachment would be different. By the. time articles of impeachment even got ratified by the house the senate would be finished confirming Trump's nomination and we'd probably be past election day.
    Possibly, I would think they already have enough on DeJoy to move quickly.

It might be counterproductive to have an impeachment before the election, it might not. If Biden wins and Dems prevent Trump from appointing another SC justice, it will have been worth it. If he loses, get ready for another 25 years of Trumpist minority. rule

Using power is risky, but not using it is risky too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It might be counterproductive to have an impeachment before the election, it might not. If Biden wins and Dems prevent Trump from appointing another SC justice, it will have been worth it. If he loses, get ready for another 25 years of Trumpist minority. rule

They can always produce a raft of indictments against Barr, DeJoy, etc starting late November if the election goes their way. In that case they would have more of a popular mandate to carry through with it.

The reality is that Nancy doesn't have power to wield unless the Senate is under Democrat control too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if posted ITT yet but Trump said he's not announcing his pick until Friday or Saturday, which is really surprising. The vetting process then doesn't start until September 28th - it would be a really tall task to get fully through the confirmation process in the 36 days between when vetting would start and election day. It seems like they're either gunning for a lame duck session vote or they have a political agenda.

In addition to Graham, Ernst and Thillis are on the judiciary committee. Iowa and North Carolina are probably the two closest and most important senate races in terms of determining the majority, it's going to be a logistical challenge if both in bents are busy in DC trying to ram a judge through congress instead of in their home state campaigning.
    tall task

mitch would rush through it within a week if he wanted to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats can throw a tantrum but they can't stop it. in the end, RBG herself is to blame for the storm that's about to hit them.

Here is RGB in 2016

Asked if the Senate had an obligation to assess Judge Garland’s qualifications, her answer was immediate.

“That’s their job,” she said. “There’s nothing in the Cons ution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/u...e=articleShare

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats can throw a tantrum but they can't stop it. in the end, RBG herself is to blame for the storm that's about to hit them.

Here is RGB in 2016

imagine what a lying fraud you truly are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imagine what a lying fraud you truly are.

off, Boner.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Not sure if congress has the power to but I'd be all for impeaching Dejoy if that's what you're saying. That looks less political and shines a light on voter suppression at the right time, but I don't see how it slows the senate confirmation down at all.

The simple reality is that if McConnell has the votes there is nothing the Democrats can do to stop him from replacing RBG. They need to work to find 4 votes. They already have 2 but I don't trust Collins. Schumer should do everything he can to court Romney, and they should figure out what other senators might budge (i.e., have Boomerberg call Toomey and say this is where you return the favor after I bankrolled your campaign).

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Lol cowboy in his final chapter of life, going out this way is fabulous.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    tall task

mitch would rush through it within a week if he wanted to
    I think there's a mandatory amount of deliberation time for SCOTUS picks even without the filibuster.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’s so telling the second you’re pushed you show your true self. A small empty s of a human, incapable of loving or being loved.

seriously, how resentful toward your father are you that he could only pass down a small business, instead of more?

That would explain why you’re such a fan of trump. You’re envious he was gifted millions by his father.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Here is RGB in 2016

2016 was too late but regardless, everyone knew how much of a bloodbath the 2014 midterms were going to be for Democrats so their window of replacing her was predictable. Both RBG and Breyer should have stepped down in 2013 (quite frankly they were already playing with fire and got lucky the Dems kept control of the senate in 2012). That would have given them 4 younger liberal judges with 3 older conservatives (Thomas, Kennedy & Scalia) that would need to be replaced over the next 10 years.

The narrative from people close to her was that RBG was excited about the prospect of Hillary Clinton being the first female president and replacing her. Celebrate RBG for being a "barrier breaker" all you want but it was beyond selfish of her to do what she did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’s so telling the second you’re pushed you show your true self. A small empty s of a human, incapable of loving or being loved.

seriously, how resentful toward your father are you that he could only pass down a small business, instead of more?

That would explain why you’re such a fan of trump. You’re envious he was gifted millions by his father.
    CosmicCowturd highly privileged confirmed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol cowboy in his final chapter of life, going out this way is fabulous.
    his anger and resentment and envy flow deep

he knows he’s never really accomplished anything, it was all given to him. There won’t be many tears of sadness when his time is up. There will be tears from the relief of no longer having to put on a public facade of care.

then, all that will be left will be the anticipation of seeing what he left behind.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2016 was too late but regardless, everyone knew how much of a bloodbath the 2014 midterms were going to be for Democrats so their window of replacing her was predictable. Both RBG and Breyer should have stepped down in 2013 (quite frankly they were already playing with fire and got lucky the Dems kept control of the senate in 2012). That would have given them 4 younger liberal judges with 3 older conservatives (Thomas, Kennedy & Scalia) that would need to be replaced over the next 10 years.

The narrative from people close to her was that RBG was excited about the prospect of Hillary Clinton being the first female president and replacing her. Celebrate RBG for being a "barrier breaker" all you want but it was beyond selfish of her to do what she did.
    or, you know, if the “progressive” wing of the Democratic Party would actually show up to vote, and give their representatives cover to actually make those changes.

but then, that would be too inconvenient to go to the polls, when it’s so much easier to try to blame the “establishment”

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    or, you know, if the “progressive” wing of the Democratic Party would actually show up to vote, and give their representatives cover to actually make those changes.

but then, that would be too inconvenient to go to the polls, when it’s so much easier to try to blame the “establishment”
    more vote shaming directed at someone who voted for Hillary and is going to vote for Biden

Fun fact - Hillary's 2016 campaign determined it wasn't a good idea to have Hillary yard signs up in Michigan because they were worried people would be more "motivated" to go out and vote for Trump if they saw Hillary yard signs. Instead of continuing to vote shame someone who votes, maybe consider the possibility that Hillary not getting great turnout from progressives had something to do with her being such a bad candidate that her own campaign was legitimately worried yard signs with her name would have a negative effect on voters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if congress has the power to but I'd be all for impeaching Dejoy if that's what you're saying. That looks less political and shines a light on voter suppression at the right time, but I don't see how it slows the senate confirmation down at all.
    It's also a simple reality that Dems can use power to try to stop McConnell. Odd that you seem more scared of that than McConnell getting his way.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I honestly wonder if Trump and Congress would have stacked the court in 2017 if this scenario happened.

Not that it's an argument against it.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's also a simple reality that Dems can use power to try to stop McConnell. Odd that you seem more scared of that than McConnell getting his way.
    You still haven't explained to me what an impeachment does to stop McConnell.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best political move for Dems seems to be to let Republicans do what they will with the new justice and just hammer the message home that the Senate is spending all of their time on an unpopular SCOTUS confirmation instead of a new stimulus package. Any impeachment carries more political risk than it's worth, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still haven't explained to me what an impeachment does to stop McConnell.
    it's been reported that Senate rules require impeachments to be taken up before nominations can go forward; if true, that's a tool in the box.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more vote shaming directed at someone who voted for Hillary and is going to vote for Biden

Fun fact - Hillary's 2016 campaign determined it wasn't a good idea to have Hillary yard signs up in Michigan because they were worried people would be more "motivated" to go out and vote for Trump if they saw Hillary yard signs. Instead of continuing to vote shame someone who votes, maybe consider the possibility that Hillary not getting great turnout from progressives had something to do with her being such a bad candidate that her own campaign was legitimately worried yard signs with her name would have a negative effect on voters

you’re trying to semantic and anecdote this argument. I don’t know how old you are, but it shouldn’t require this explanation.

i don’t care about Hillary. This is a long standing issue. Folks complain about the shift to the right. It didn’t happen in a vacuum. It took a long time to get there.

too many god damned lefty’s have sat out for decades, and let this happen. The pubs figured out a long time ago they have no ability to govern. They don’t. Their mission was, is, and will continue to be, to destroy the apparatus.

too many liberals have sat back, and continued to observe norms that no longer exist, choosing to moralize and lament and false equivalence their way into absolving themselves of responsibility to take their country back.

it doesn’t pay at all to be the adults in the room any more. Hopefully, the people that fall under the giant umbrella that is the Democratic Party May finally comprehend that, even though it’s too late and you have ed over all women poc’s and lgbtq persons for the next generation.

Thread Information