Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The problem is we have some guys who just aren’t natural scorers playing together, Dejounte Murray being the main one. Lonnie Walker looks to be really improving. But in an ideal world you need to have Murray next to 4 shooters at all times and DeRozan presents a problem there. I’d consider moving on from Murray before DeRozan, just my opinion. I really like Murray and I hope he figures it out, he just isn’t showing much. The purpose of this isn’t to trash Murray though, I think most if not all Spurs fans like and are rooting for the guy. And I don’t think we have to rush anything, he deserves a chance he’s only been healthy for one season following that major injury, but at some point we’ve got to think about moving on if he doesn’t show more right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should trade DJM before other teams realize he isn't going to get much better. He still has the exact same weaknesses he had 4 years ago. He still can't dribble, still can't shoot, still can't score at the rim, and still can't actually run an offense. His decision making is terrible. His BBIQ is very low. If any young player gets traded it should be him imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes a scrub

Agree dump him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Backup PG is his ceiling. Trade him while his value is at it's peak, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should trade DJM before other teams realize he isn't going to get much better. He still has the exact same weaknesses he had 4 years ago. He still can't dribble, still can't shoot, still can't score at the rim, and still can't actually run an offense. His decision making is terrible. His BBIQ is very low. If any young player gets traded it should be him imho
    Backup PG is his ceiling. Trade him while his value is at it's peak, tbh.
    I agree with this sentiment. He could prove us all wrong, but if I had to bet on it I don't think his value will ever be any higher than it is right now...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too late. Can't see any team being dumb enough to give up anything of value for a 24 year old, torn ACL'd, unskilled, low basketball IQ player at an oversaturated position, who has a $64M extension kicking in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too late. Can't see any team being dumb enough to give up anything of value for a 24 year old, torn ACL'd, unskilled, low basketball IQ player at an oversaturated position, who has a $64M extension kicking in.
    You can get plenty of teams to bite if you package him with DDR or LMA

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still has a fairly high reputation in the league. Even during the bubble, he'd get most of the attention from national media over White and Johnson. Even espn has him basically ranked the same as DeRozan.

I don't think the spurs have it in them to move on from DJM, however.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does he really have much trade value? I'd still rather see if he can recover from that ACL tear this year into becoming the player he looked like he was developing into right before the tear. And if he sucks oh well, more help for the tank this year. Win-win to keep him in the starting lineup and playing heavy minutes IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can get plenty of teams to bite if you package him with DDR or LMA
    Nah, because they don't have much value either and then you're talking in excess of $40M annually for an underwhelming combination.

He still has a fairly high reputation in the league. Even during the bubble, he'd get most of the attention from national media over White and Johnson. Even espn has him basically ranked the same as DeRozan.

I don't think the spurs have it in them to move on from DJM, however.
    That's from the clueless national media, who checked out on this team once S bag forced his way out.

Dunn was cut loose by the Bulls, who have a hole at PG and signed with the Hawks for 2/$9.77M to play a fringe rotation role.

Carter-Williams just got a steady deal for the first time in years for 2/$6.6M to play a back end rotation role on the Magic.

Ntilikina is slated to enter the season out of rotation for the Knicks, who have Payton and Smith Jr. ahead of him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People acting like a 24 year old, 6'5 two player has no trade value.

Just last month people were talking about putting him In a trade package for Atlanta's 7th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ouch!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he could only shoot a higher percentage on a higher volume from 3 and if he could only not make bonehead plays from the ball handler position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have to showcase him if they are hoping to include him in a possible trade. He was NBA All defensive 2nd team, and could very well be a very good 3 and D, IF he could consistently knock those 3’s. Bowen had no handles but made a career strictly as 3 and D. DJ is simply not a PG for everything that’s already mentioned, lack of handles, bad decision making, etc. The problem is Vassell and Keldon seem a better fit. Can Spurs play DJ from the bench paying 16m annually? Possible Manu role if he buys it. For me the solid starter would be White, Vassell, Keldon, Demar, Aldridge depending on the matchup. DJ is just not a starting PG. He could run with Mills, Lonnie, Gay, Poeltl, emphasis on run.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your not paying him all that money so he can sit just like DEROZZ and LMA are going to get major minutes cause you paying them millions to play not sit on the bench. As far as Murray if the Spurs still want to make him a PG well then they killing his career, but that will definitely help us in tanking this year.

I do think he can fit in the second unit but just not primary ball handler and that group has to be a run and gun unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't Smart come off the bench on his contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we hire Rod Strickland to teach him to dribble? I mean it's ridiculous at this point. Has the dude ever done any dribbling drills in his life?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same weaknesses is correct. And trade him before teams won't trade for him. Compared to our other guards he is surplus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He certainly has value in the league, I just don't know if he plays well in the Spurs system. Something more freewheeling and open would work for him, although I'm not sure he couldn't work here. I would quietly gauge his value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have to showcase him if they are hoping to include him in a possible trade. He was NBA All defensive 2nd team, and could very well be a very good 3 and D, IF he could consistently knock those 3’s. Bowen had no handles but made a career strictly as 3 and D. DJ is simply not a PG for everything that’s already mentioned, lack of handles, bad decision making, etc. The problem is Vassell and Keldon seem a better fit. Can Spurs play DJ from the bench paying 16m annually? Possible Manu role if he buys it. For me the solid starter would be White, Vassell, Keldon, Demar, Aldridge depending on the matchup. DJ is just not a starting PG. He could run with Mills, Lonnie, Gay, Poeltl, emphasis on run.
    this is what needs to happen. of course with injuries, especially to white, it is difficult to move murray to the bench.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't Smart come off the bench on his contract?

Nope. In the beginning of last season he came off the bench but when it become clear that he was better starting over Hayward. He became the permanent starting 2. Now, with Kemba sealing that knee issue. Hes the starting PG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He certainly has value in the league, I just don't know if he plays well in the Spurs system. Something more freewheeling and open would work for him, although I'm not sure he couldn't work here. I would quietly gauge his value.
    I could see him in Orlando playing a similar role as Fultz although they did grab Cole Anthony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The problem is we have some guys who just aren’t natural scorers playing together, Dejounte Murray being the main one. Lonnie Walker looks to be really improving. But in an ideal world you need to have Murray next to 4 shooters at all times and DeRozan presents a problem there. I’d consider moving on from Murray before DeRozan, just my opinion. I really like Murray and I hope he figures it out, he just isn’t showing much. The purpose of this isn’t to trash Murray though, I think most if not all Spurs fans like and are rooting for the guy. And I don’t think we have to rush anything, he deserves a chance he’s only been healthy for one season following that major injury, but at some point we’ve got to think about moving on if he doesn’t show more right?
    good video, but looking at this forum, I have to disagree with that specific point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see DJ value dropping, he'll be a perennial all defensive guard for the foreseeable future with the guards like Bledsoe and Beverley getting old. He is now able to put on weight a year after ACL rehab meaning his finishing and versatility on defense is going to improve naturally. If his offense take another jump to above average he will be a borderline all star. If he didn't take a huge leap in terms of his shooting last year I would share the same sentiment as most of the posters here, but last year he was top 10 FG% in midrange before the bubble and above average on spot up 3 pointers ( 41% from Jan-Mar ). Everyone seems to forget that he was mostly a cutter/slasher and dunker spot option on offense his first 2 seasons.

Defense does not pay much and 16 mil is probably the highest you would pay for an all-defense guard, but he is younger and has more offensive potential than comparable guards like Beverley(13mil), Smart(14mil) and Bledsoe(16mil).

We don't have the key piece to build around yet , why would having DJ be a problem? he is still 2 years away from his prime and he might be a good complement to a wing initiator or a scoring guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has been successfully neutered... And there's no Duncan to carry them to hide it... Under any other coach he would have been let loose and shown improvement year after year... As I famously said before... If steph curry was drafted by us... He'd be yanked indefinitely the first time he pulled up from 40 on a fast break... Giannis would have been to the g-league his first 3 years... Then treated like a scrub when he finally plays for the team

Thread Information