Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Check Twitter timeline. Especially after AD hit buzzer beater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares what the trolls of twitter think lol Tim Duncan is and always will be a legend

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    First seven years in the league:

Tim Duncan - 2 les, 2 FMVPs, 2 MVPs, ROY award, 51-34 post season record, 0 missed playoffs, 6* All-Star nods, (*no AS game in 99)

Anthony Davis - 0 les, 0 FMVPs, 0 MVPs, 4-9 postseason record, missed playoffs 5 times, 6 all star nods

I wonder how good prime TD would look playing next to someone as good as LBJ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Davis has no post moves. It ain’t even close

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    scial media

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question. Is Tim Duncan post knee injury playable in today's NBA? He became a liability on defense whenever we played the Dynasty Warriors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime Tim Duncan was an offensive hub just like Jokic is for the Nuggets except Duncan was better than Jokic at everything besides shooting and passing. Tim was also the defensive hub for the Spurs. In summary the spurs ran their offense and defense through Tim.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Social media" can't say anything. Laker fans are saying that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, if social media says it...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have seen people on realgm overwhelmingly disagree with Davis being better than Duncan. The only people I see who believe it is Laker fans which isn't surprising.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question. Is Tim Duncan post knee injury playable in today's NBA? He became a liability on defense whenever we played the Dynasty Warriors.
    Which knee injury? 2000 or 2016?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious answer. Jakob Poeltl, who is worse at literally every single thing than Tim Duncan was, is playable and even desirable in today's NBA. There is no era in which a player with Timmy's combination of height, skill, consistency, BBIQ, strength and leadership is "unplayable".

Going further into your premise... The Warriors were one of the best teams of all-time. That's kind of a high bar to set, especially since they were designed to exploit players just like Timmy. But even then - people think the modern NBA is all about shooting 3's. It's not. Today's league focuses on high percentage shots, which just so happen to be 3's a lot of the time, but also layups, dunks, etc. Now, the 3-ball can be considered a high-percentage shot for every team and player, for mathematical reasons; the same cannot be said of other shots. Even though the midrange is depreciated and outright shunned by some teams (Rockettes), there's players who are so good at those shots, that they become HPS and even desirable shots for them. DeRozan is hardly a good example, since he's so flawed on defense and mentally, but he's truly a great midrange shooter and should take those shots, whilst your run-of-the-mill Austin Rivers would do best to pass when in those situations.

The thing about HPS is that they become increasingly rare in the Playoffs, where teams game-plan for each other and defenses are much tighter. In those situations, having a reliable scoring big man like Timmy shooting bank shots, which 29 out of 30 coaches in the league would advise against today in the regular season, suddenly becomes a critical skill. We all saw what good CP3 and his midrange did for Houston the year they almost beat the Warriors - even though it's supposed to be a "bad shot" to take, it diversifies your offense, keeps the opponent guessing, and gives you buckets when your role players are tired and the shots aren't falling.

Given all this context - Timmy would absolutely be playable in today's league, I'd go as far as saying he'd still go #1 if he were to be drafted today. You also have to take into account the age-old "standing in the shoulders of giants" argument: Timmy's game would probably be a bit more adapted to the modern era if he'd grown in it. Considering his midrange abilities, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'd be able to hit 2-3 threes a game if he were required to do so, á la Marc Gasol or Ibaka, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he just has so many rings and MVP's to prove it..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That knee injury Duncan had is the same injury Wade,Westbrook all suffered from in their early 20's. Lonnie Walker also suffered that injury. The torn meniscus does not affect your athletic ability when you are in your 20's but it takes away from your athletic ability when you hit your 30s. It's why Wade fell off really hard once he hit 30. Westbrook surprisingly is still holding up but you can tell he's losing athleticism. I felt Tim still had his athleticism until the '07-'08 season. That's when he fell off of a cliff and had to reinvent himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AD isn’t even worthy of being All-NBA this year (don’t believe me just ask NBA expert Maria Taylor ) and people say he’s better than Jim?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious answer. Jakob Poeltl, who is worse at literally every single thing than Tim Duncan was, is playable and even desirable in today's NBA. There is no era in which a player with Timmy's combination of height, skill, consistency, BBIQ, strength and leadership is "unplayable".

Going further into your premise... The Warriors were one of the best teams of all-time. That's kind of a high bar to set, especially since they were designed to exploit players just like Timmy. But even then - people think the modern NBA is all about shooting 3's. It's not. Today's league focuses on high percentage shots, which just so happen to be 3's a lot of the time, but also layups, dunks, etc. Now, the 3-ball can be considered a high-percentage shot for every team and player, for mathematical reasons; the same cannot be said of other shots. Even though the midrange is depreciated and outright shunned by some teams (Rockettes), there's players who are so good at those shots, that they become HPS and even desirable shots for them. DeRozan is hardly a good example, since he's so flawed on defense and mentally, but he's truly a great midrange shooter and should take those shots, whilst your run-of-the-mill Austin Rivers would do best to pass when in those situations.

The thing about HPS is that they become increasingly rare in the Playoffs, where teams game-plan for each other and defenses are much tighter. In those situations, having a reliable scoring big man like Timmy shooting bank shots, which 29 out of 30 coaches in the league would advise against today in the regular season, suddenly becomes a critical skill. We all saw what good CP3 and his midrange did for Houston the year they almost beat the Warriors - even though it's supposed to be a "bad shot" to take, it diversifies your offense, keeps the opponent guessing, and gives you buckets when your role players are tired and the shots aren't falling.

Given all this context - Timmy would absolutely be playable in today's league, I'd go as far as saying he'd still go #1 if he were to be drafted today. You also have to take into account the age-old "standing in the shoulders of giants" argument: Timmy's game would probably be a bit more adapted to the modern era if he'd grown in it. Considering his midrange abilities, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'd be able to hit 2-3 threes a game if he were required to do so, á la Marc Gasol or Ibaka, for example.
    When I see a guy as slow as Jokic dominating I have a very hard time believing prime Duncan would not dominate this league on both ends. The Nuggets basically run their offense through Jokic the same way the Spurs did with Duncan during the early '00s except Jokic is a better passer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Davis would still be struggling to make the playoffs if Lebron James was dragging his overrated ass along for the ride.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is a front running pussy. essentially another Durant. He’s having a nice run, but hes only having this now cause LeBron is holding his hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First seven years in the league:

Tim Duncan - 2 les, 2 FMVPs, 2 MVPs, ROY award, 51-34 post season record, 0 missed playoffs, 6* All-Star nods, (*no AS game in 99)

Anthony Davis - 0 les, 0 FMVPs, 0 MVPs, 4-9 postseason record, missed playoffs 5 times, 6 all star nods
    All-NBA is more meaningful than All-star. First 8 seasons:

Duncan: 8x First-team All-NBA
    Davis: 4x First-team All-NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan: top 5 all time

Davis: will be lucky to crack the top 25

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bannable worthy thread tbh. Should've been erased immediately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CROFL 2 rebounds!

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who was it that said something like "5 rings, "?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check Twitter timeline. Especially after AD hit buzzer beater.
    So social media likes biden

Thread Information