Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...use-stopped-it
    USPS Covid-19 Coronavirus Plan To Send Every Household Face Masks: Why The White House Stopped It
    Bruce Y. Lee

Did you get those five reusable face masks through the United States Postal Service (USPS) back in April? You didn’t? Well, that was the USPS plan back then, according to Tony Romm, Jacob Bogage, and Lena H. Sun reporting for the Washington Post.

That’s based on a review of nearly 10,000 pages of federal emails, legal memos, presentations and other do ents that watchdog group American Oversight had requested via the Freedom of Information Act. Included in the do ents was a draft news release from the USPS about plans to distribute 650 million masks around the country. This would have amounted to around five face coverings per every American household. Not a bad plan given the fact that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now calls on Americans to wear masks to prevent Covid-19 spread.

A news release meant that the plan was probably at its advanced stages. After all, you don’t tend to put together a press release until after you’re fairly sure something will happen. Otherwise, it would be a premature communication. Or a premature declaration. It would be a bit like preparing wedding announcements before even beginning to date someone. Or preparing buns when there are no hot dogs.

So why didn’t you get the masks? Because the plan never was fully implemented. Apparently the White House said something to the effect of “oh no you won’t” to the USPS. The Washington Post article quoted an administration official as saying, “There was concern from some in the White House Domestic Policy Council and the office of the vice president that households receiving masks might create concern or panic.” A concern about creating a concern? Now who would want to raise concern about a pandemic caused by a novel Covid-19 coronavirus that has now resulted over 198,000 deaths?

A news release meant that the plan was probably at its advanced stages. After all, you don’t tend to put together a press release until after you’re fairly sure something will happen. Otherwise, it would be a premature communication. Or a premature declaration. It would be a bit like preparing wedding announcements before even beginning to date someone. Or preparing buns when there are no hot dogs.

So why didn’t you get the masks? Because the plan never was fully implemented. Apparently the White House said something to the effect of “oh no you won’t” to the USPS. The Washington Post article quoted an administration official as saying, “There was concern from some in the White House Domestic Policy Council and the office of the vice president that households receiving masks might create concern or panic.” A concern about creating a concern? Now who would want to raise concern about a pandemic caused by a novel Covid-19 coronavirus that has now resulted over 198,000 deaths?

As you can see, the second tweet corrects the “facemarks” typo to “facemasks.” A plan to deliver postmarks to people’s faces would have been quite a different story, although not a completely surprising one for 2020.

According to the Washington Post article, the face masks eventually went to critical infrastructure sectors, companies, healthcare facilities, faith-based and community organizations, and schools across the country via Project America Strong. But it’s not completely clear over what time frame that occurred and why that should have precluded sending every household masks in April.

Imagine how things may have been different had the USPS moved forward with the face mask plan. Would more people have gotten accustomed to wearing face masks earlier? How many transmissions and infections could have been prevented?

A study published in Health Affairs in June estimated that fifteen states plus Washington, D.C., issuing face mask mandates between April 8 and May 15, 2020, was correlated with over 200,000 fewer Covid-19 cases as of May 22, 2020:

Of course, correlations and associations don’t prove cause-and-effect. But there are clear scientific reasons why face mask use could cut down the risk of you transmitting the virus to others.

Plus, would more widespread face mask use have done what the White House seemingly didn’t want to do: raise concern about the pandemic? If people had taken the pandemic more seriously, would they have taken social distancing and other prevention measures more seriously? Could this have prevented even more cases? Perhaps.

When it comes to the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic, you can’t just cover it up. Well, you can use a face mask to cover up your face, including your nose for Pete’s and everyone else’s sake. But you shouldn’t cover up the realities. During a public health emergency, you shouldn’t cover up what you “knows.” As of April, this virus had already proven that it can kill at a much higher rate than the flu. It also had already shown that it can cause suffering among those who survive the virus. The U.S. leads the other countries in the number of cases and deaths, which very super ultra strongly suggests that the national response has not been adequate. And those are problems that you can’t just mask.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait is this surgical masks or n95s?

If surgical... most ppm woulda jerked off on it or used it as toilet paper. It was too soon for ppl to even consider wearing masks. And surgical masks dont sgop prevention in closed spaces like offices, buses, restaurants, etc.

Of course I knew about masks early on and their efficiency but 99%(n95 ones) of ignorant americans didnt so it would basicqlly have been like giving a calculator to a gorilla and telling him to find the square root of 7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus wasnt dear dr Fauci saying that masks dont work and might actually make things worse back then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus wasnt dear dr Fauci saying that masks dont work and might actually make things worse back then?
    No, not in April

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, hater can't go two posts without lying his ass off.

Happens to every poster who is a Trump supporter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    April was already too late. Plus not sure when he officially backtracked.

I dont see how sending 5 surgical masks to folks woulda prevented many deaths.

A much better strategy woulda been to educate ppl on mask wearing early on and NEVER had lied to them about masks being worse (fauci) and obviously tracing and regional shutdowns/quarantines that china used to control the pandemic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait is this surgical masks or n95s?

If surgical... most ppm woulda jerked off on it or used it as toilet paper. It was too soon for ppl to even consider wearing masks. And surgical masks dont sgop prevention in closed spaces like offices, buses, restaurants, etc.

Of course I knew about masks early on and their efficiency but 99%(n95 ones) of ignorant americans didnt so it would basicqlly have been like giving a calculator to a gorilla and telling him to find the square root of 7
    You think everyone in Japan wears ing N95 masks and not cheap masks from the grocery / drug store? Yet they can crowd onto subways trains in huge groups without having anywhere near the level of death we have had in our failed nation.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    vlad you’re really betraying yourself here. You are actually parroting rw talking points.

called it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    April was already too late. Plus not sure when he officially backtracked.

I dont see how sending 5 surgical masks to folks woulda prevented many deaths.

A much better strategy woulda been to educate ppl on mask wearing early on and NEVER had lied to them about masks being worse (fauci) and obviously tracing and regional shutdowns/quarantines that china used to control the pandemic
    It would have saved a ton of lives if implemented in ing June in Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think everyone in Japan wears ing N95 masks and not cheap masks from the grocery / drug store? Yet they can crowd onto subways trains in huge groups without having anywhere near the level of death we have had in our failed nation.
    Did a Japanese dr Fauci and his team tout for months that masks were worse?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would have saved a ton of lives if implemented in ing June in Texas.
    So u think sending 5 masks in the mail is "implementing" something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did a Japanese dr Fauci and his team tout for months that masks were worse?
    Nope, and Dr Fauci didn't either. Not for "months" you lying mother er.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope, and Dr Fauci didn't either. Not for "months" you lying mother er.
    Sorry he did. We already discussed this. Plenty video evidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you ing re ed seriously? Remember when you used to talk about the importance of masks? It was only nine posts back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course sending millions of masks through the USPS is implementing something.

Trump got you saying masks bad now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry he did. We already discussed this. Plenty video evidence.
    March 8 he said not to unless you were infected. April 2 he said Americans should be wearing them. That's not even one month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You dissapoint me Baseline.

Fauci said US government held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad that even doctors couldn't get enough

January through March, as the spread of the disease became more and more serious, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention actively discouraged the use of masks among the general public.

By early April, simple cloth face coverings were recommended for the general public, instead of protective personal equipment such as surgical and N95 masks, The New York Times reported.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...t-2020-6%3famp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Biden not blasting the airwaves with this report constantly? This report right here shows why you can lay COVID-45 deaths directly onto Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never question hater es. From same article:

Fauci's comments echo those of Surgeon General Jerome Adams on March 2, when he said that the increased demand for masks was putting medical professionals at risk.

A few days earlier, he tweeted that masks were "not effective in preventing" COVID-19 in the general public, saying, "Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!" He later reversed his advice.

Fauci explained the early advice against masks by saying: "The public-health community — and many people were saying this — were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fauci lied hes a big reason we are in this mask debacle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never question hater es. From same article:

Fauci's comments echo those of Surgeon General Jerome Adams on March 2, when he said that the increased demand for masks was putting medical professionals at risk.

A few days earlier, he tweeted that masks were "not effective in preventing" COVID-19 in the general public, saying, "Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!" He later reversed his advice.

Fauci explained the early advice against masks by saying: "The public-health community — and many people were saying this — were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply."
    Here's 650 million free reusable cotton masks so you won't buy surgical and N95 masks.

That would've worked and you know it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You dissapoint me Baseline.

January through March, as the spread of the disease became more and more serious, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention actively discouraged the use of masks among the general public.

By early April, simple cloth face coverings were recommended for the general public, instead of protective personal equipment such as surgical and N95 masks, The New York Times reported.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...t-2020-6%3famp
    So he never said it makes things worse. I guess you can hold onto the Feb 29th tweet from the Surgeon General telling people to quit buying masks so congrats. Always bad faith arguments from Trump s though. Mask use was discouraged early on because hospitals didn't have sufficient PPE and they didn't want hoarding by the general public.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fauci lied hes a big reason we are in this mask debacle.
    Trump lied and is the main reason. Trump's the one who poisoned mask use for his death cult.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's 650 million free reusable cotton masks so you won't buy surgical and N95 masks.

That would've worked and you know it.
    Disagree. Unless you implement a clear mask policy from start you wilm run into trouble.

The probles was never that pppl couldnt bjy masks or afford masks. The problem was always that there was NEVER a clear mask policy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump lied and is the main reason. Trump's the one who poisoned mask use for his death cult.
    Agree. Glad you agree w my statement as well

Thread Information