Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 questions here:

1. Should the Celtics fire Brad Stevens?
    2. Will the Celtics fire Brad Stevens?

I think this thread is warranted given that Doc Rivers was fired for underachieving. I believe the Celtics had 4th quarter leads in 6 games against the Heat? Stevens was not successful in making adjustments to the Heat's zone. Discuss.
    Last edited by DC23; 09-29-2020 at 01:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. No
    2, No

They should get rid of MagaWard and add some depth to the bench
    Last edited by lefty; 09-29-2020 at 01:57 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    He will eventually end up as the next coach at Duke University.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He will eventually end up as the next coach at Duke University.
    I could actually see him taking over for Pop in SA.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    1. No
    2, No

They should get rid of MagaWard and add spme depth to the bench
    This.

Hayward is an overrated bum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean is making the ECF 2 out of 4 years a failure? I'm not sure. If he had a team like the Clippers, you could make a case. But his team is led by a 22 year old player who has improved every single year under Stevens. I would wait before pulling the plug

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Rondo wasn't a Laker, he is someone they could really use

- veteran presence and leadership
    - he started his career in Boston and won a le there, so he :
    A. will care for the team (see: Haslem in Miami motivating his teammates)
    B. is battle tested
    - he will step in when Kemba is ting the bed in the playoffs

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see ownership eventually running out of patience with him, but he still has at least 3 years before that happens unless he has some really embarrassing flameouts. Who are they going to find that's better anyway?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    stevens is a fantastic coach, but his team is full of iso scorers. its pretty impressive they play as good of team ball as they do (credit to stevens), but the flaws of all those iso players finally were exposed by spos zone

also marcus smart has no business being a starter on a contender, unless its for a team with multiple high-level stars to mask his flaws

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    It’s a tough balance with talented one-on-one stars. You want to give them enough freedom like LeBron or Freak or Harden to really maximize all those abilities, but the right team needs to be put around them otherwise you fail the other players. Idk if Tatum is a LeBron or Harden type of guy you want to handle the ball like 80-90% of the time. But if that’s what you think he can be, then go all in. Probably don’t bring Smart back because he likes to force his will and be universal playmaker/ decision maker on offense. And maybe flip Kemba too, unless he’s willing to play off the ball like full time.

Too many chefs in the kitchen, and it’s hard to build the right chemistry together.

And yeah, that’s not necessarily the fault of Stevens. It’s true he’s had a lot of talent. But he’s still done a heck of a job considering the pieces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics will get rid of some players, but not their precious coach or Magaward

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've overachieved almost every season he's been there.

He's overrated, but so is every NBA coach that is adored by the fans and media. There are still many NBA fans that think Popovich is a special coach.

Nick Nurse is beloved by basketball nerds, but look at what his team did without Kawhi, it was no different than the Dwayne Casey days.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean is making the ECF 2 out of 4 years a failure?
    It's 3 in 4.

I'm sure he has his what if's in his mind. All coaches do. So there's "blame" there. There's more blame for the players. They especially choked when they were about to bury Lebron in 2018.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics will get rid of some players, but not their precious coach or Magaward
    You say that like he's not a top coach. Would you ditch a top coach?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Ainge should be on the hot seat, not Stevens. Ainge has had an insane treasure trove of assets to work with this past decade, and he's used it to overpay B-tier players like Kemba and Hayward and build one of the worst benches in the league. People talk about him like he's on the level of West or Riley, but those guys would have built a far better team than these Celtics if they had the same stockpile of assets.

Stevens has overachieved with the teams Ainge has given him, tbh. Tatum and Brown are legit, but that's it.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ainge should be on the hot seat, not Stevens. Ainge has had an insane treasure trove of assets to work with this past decade, and he's used it to overpay B-tier players like Kemba and Hayward and build one of the worst benches in the league. People talk about him like he's on the level of West or Riley, but those guys would have built a far better team than these Celtics if they had the same stockpile of assets.

Stevens has overachieved with the teams Ainge has given him, tbh. Tatum and Brown are legit, but that's it.
    Riley and West made plenty of sh** moves. They just had the advantage of being a FA hot spot. This isn't an apples to apples comparison you're making.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Riley and West made plenty of sh** moves. They just had the advantage of being a FA hot spot. This isn't an apples to apples comparison you're making.
    No GM is infallible, but you're kidding yourself if you think those guys would have turned that boatload of picks from the Nets/other teams into a roster with no bench, no big men, and Gordon Hayward on a $128 million albatross contract.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Celtics should bring back Rivers, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No GM is infallible, but you're kidding yourself if you think those guys would have turned that boatload of picks from the Nets/other teams into a roster with no bench, no big men, and Gordon Hayward on a $128 million albatross contract.
    The Hayward acquisition has not been a success. But it's hardly fair game when you consider that he sustained a major injury and has not returned to that level or anything approaching it. Also, I think Stevens is probably the one who pushed for Hayward. Ainge otherwise likely goes another direction.

I do agree with you that Kemba Walker was the sexy acquisition but not necessarily the right one. He makes the C's backcourt small with Smart at SG and he's a defensive liability. And even his offense is questionable come playoff time. He will rack up stats in the regular season; but don't expect 26-11 come the playoffs. I also agree that the bench was not what it needed to be. They were running with 6 with Hayward out and then mostly 7 with him in. Stevens probably could've featured Williams and Wannamaker more. But they're 10 and 11 on other teams and not 8 and 9. So yea, Ainge had his failings on those fronts. But he still built a team good enough to make and win a finals. He definitely could've done better though if you want to fire him. But sometimes you make that change and it's way worse. C's were trash for a decade and a half before Ainge took over.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Celtics should bring back Rivers, tbh.
    Tom had his chance to be a franchise staple. He ran the second the team had to rebuild. He's a Phil Jackson wannabe.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    They've overachieved almost every season he's been there.

He's overrated, but so is every NBA coach that is adored by the fans and media. There are still many NBA fans that think Popovich is a special coach.

Nick Nurse is beloved by basketball nerds, but look at what his team did without Kawhi, it was no different than the Dwayne Casey days.
    You mean to tell me that a team’s faith is primarily driven by its star players?!?!?

Thread Information