View Poll Results: Who is your favorite prospect so far?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Precious Achiuwa

4 5.33%
  • Patrick Williams

19 25.33%
  • Aleksej Pokusevski

11 14.67%
  • Aaron Nesmith

3 4.00%
  • Jalen Smith

25 33.33%
  • Saddiq Bey

6 8.00%
  • Isaiah Stewart

1 1.33%
  • Tyler Bey

0 0%
  • Kira Lewis Jr.

3 4.00%
  • RJ Hampton

3 4.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The two major reasons we are loosing games are 1. Our Defense Sucks 2. We don’t shoot and make enough 3 balls. So that is one reason I like Smith he is a really good defender he has size he blocks shots he gets you a lot of rebounds and he can shoot the 3 ball.
    Let's be real, unless the Spurs had a top 3 pick, they're more likely to pursue incremental change than pin their hopes on a game changer at #11. The Spurs have always acted like a turtle for positive growth.

Even when they drafted Kawhi, he was seen as a low ceiling, high floor type. Then he blew everyone away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woof, the thread has gone downhill. Can we chill with the personal attacks for a minute? The fact that there's no moderation doesn't mean we gotta be -slinging on a fine Sunday afternoon.

Anyways.

This part of your analysis, I disagree with. Why say Jalen is lacking in shooting? And why would Poeltl's presence (since I'm assuming that's the other big) affect our draft pick? You can grab Jalen (and I want to make clear, it's not about Jalen alone - you can perfectly disagree with my evaluation of him, I'm talking from a roster-building POV) and then sign a FA big, or draft another one, that fits the playmaking/passing bill you need to complement Smith's game. I think Luka can be that playmaking/passing big in the future, IF he absolutely pans out in terms of skills, but even if he isn't, I wouldn't see that as a deterrent to draft Jalen. As is, the Spurs have enough playmaking coming from their guards to keep the ship floating, and it's not like I want them to get immediately better next season and miss a high draft pick for the '21 draft...

I also don't see why Smith couldn't bully big wing 4's in the post. It's a "low % shot" by modern NBA standards, but the Spurs particularly don't really follow those modern trends to a T anyways, and Smith is physically more than capable of imposing himself and getting quick (and not-so-quick) buckets against bulkier opponents. I say again - there's a lot of tape of him doing this against perfectly fine compe ion in college. I once again highlight his game against Tillman, he made him work for some of those buckets. I don't want players or a team that isn't versatile - if anything, this years' playoffs have shown that the midrange and more "vintage" methods of scoring are FAR from gone or irrelevant. The fact that Smith is an absolute threat from deep, on top of being a good to great rim scorer, is just icing on the cake.

To be honest with you, I could care less about "credible center play". The Spurs aren't going anywhere by getting "credible center play". They need high-impact, versatility, shooting, strength, and rebounding from their bigs if they want to get to the promise land anytime soon - and I guarantee you, that's not something you just sign off waivers or trade a second-rounder for. Those kinds of players, you get in the draft, in the lottery even depending on the case. "Credible center play" is good for a team like the Clippers, with stars holding down the fort in other positions (and we've seen even for them, it wasn't enough).

I wholeheartedly agree that biggest need is elite, high-end talent; I just fail to see which prospect you're thinking of that is so above-and-beyond in terms of talent, that you'd dismiss the Spurs' roster needs, both long and short-term, to draft. Seriously, I'd like a name, so I can at least see what you're picturing in your head. Is it Vassell? I can guarantee you that guy isn't moving the needle for us, nor guarding any "big wing" whatsoever. If it's Neismith, I fail to see what good does drafting a SG (especially considering the logjam the Spurs have there) for your argument's sake. Again, it's not about Jalen alone, but from a pure roster-building point, I really don't see what player your argument lines up with, in this specific draft. To be honest, the prospect that comes closest to what you'd like... Is Achiuwa. Good skills, dribbling/playmaking potential, absolute strength to defend modern wings/big men, switchable to an extent, athletic, plays much better perimeter defense than Smith. But I haven't seen you mention him in any of your comments, so that mustn't be.

Again I ask the question - why would you select a high-floor, low-ceiling wing with a lottery pick, in a VERY wing-weak draft, when the very next draft is already known to be packing much, much higher talent level prospects at this position? What is this absolute, urgent hole the Spurs have to fill? I'm not seeing it. Of course, you can have your preferences on what you think the Spurs should draft - it's just weird to me that you're passing on your personal preference, as factual, indubitable gospel. Please expand.

I was a bit offended by the Bertans comment, ngl. When in God's name have you ever seen a pass by Bertans that was anything more than serviceable?! Is Bertans really your image of a passing/ball-handling big? The guy could literally not take the ball to the rim if his life depended on it. Like, seriously, post a YouTube highlight or something maybe my memory is tier than I'm thinking, but I would never in my life call Bertans a "big with ball handling skills". Let's be real.

And again, Smith's defensive position is the 4. Specifically, which 4's do you think he could not match up against? I could see him doing well against most that come to mind. He could handle Siakam, he could handle Giannis (as good as anyone can handle a league MVP, of course), he could handle Brown unless he's going full 3pt chuck-fest. I can see, for example, AD giving him problems when he plays the 4 in the RS, but that's not a real 4. Again I fail to see which part of Smith's game you think will translate so badly, that he'll go from being a very good defender in college, to not being able to guard even his own position in the NBA. And I don't see why the fact that he's got potential as a small-ball 5 would mean he doesn't have a "true" position, if that's what you mean. Just an overall very vague comment, tbh.
    I mean there would be a lack of shooting/play making in general (factoring in the youth). Not that anything is entrenched.

Smith doesn't have the base strength for it. His game offensively will probably primarily consistent of pick and pop/spot up 3's when he's next to a rim runner and when he's not, he'll be the rim runner.

In regards to "credible center play", it depends on the surrounding talent but most teams aren't built around bigs anymore, so chances are the next good Spurs team won't be either.

I didn't say anyone projected to be available at 11 represented high end talent. There is no logjam because nothing is set in stone long term. At this writing, no blue chip prospects and if they all top out as elite - decent role players, even then some will be gone because if they all get paid their worth 1) The team would suck and 2) It would in part because most or all of the cap space is tied up in non superstars/stars.

You have no idea how the next year is going to play out. Maybe some of those wings disappoint/suffer significant injury and go back to school, maybe this team is better than expected and picking closer to mid round than near the top. You can't worry about what might happen a year down the road. . . and if it does play out that way and they eventually have an abundance of quality wings/guards, that's a good problem to have.

Not basing it off one pass, but since you asked: the cut and drop off to Aldridge.

Smith's defensive position in the NBA will probably primarily be based off of matchup, which is why I said third big. Strangers things have happened though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, I've said it a couple of times, I'm not opposed to Poku either. Drafts are such a crap shoot... If the Spurs are ok with his medical on draft night, I'll trust their choice. He's just not my personal pick due to bust concerns, I think getting nothing out of this #11 pick would hurt the Spurs much more than getting a "low-ceiling career role player" (worst case scenario for some of the projected picks) would.

I can live with reading Bertans is above-average. I was originally just saying he's nowhere near Smith as a prospect, and that Smith has a defined defensive position, mainly because Jalen isn't a defensive liability at every position like Davis was. I actually liked him on the Spurs... Oh well.
    If somebody assures me that Smith would manage to have Bertans like impact, I would sign him up without hesitation, but I'm not sure he will, tbh.

Smith ceiling is Ibaka, imho. A defensive interior presence with outside shooting. I don't ever see him developing to the point of being a primary offensive option, he just doesn't seem to have the skillset. I would love a young Ibaka though, the thing is, the chances of him ever reaching that ceiling aren't ideal, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean there would be a lack of shooting/play making in general (factoring in the youth). Not that anything is entrenched.

Smith doesn't have the base strength for it. His game offensively will probably primarily consistent of pick and pop/spot up 3's when he's next to a rim runner and when he's not, he'll be the rim runner.

In regards to "credible center play", it depends on the surrounding talent but most teams aren't built around bigs anymore, so chances are the next good Spurs team won't be either.

I didn't say anyone projected to be available at 11 represented high end talent. There is no logjam because nothing is set in stone long term. At this writing, no blue chip prospects and if they all top out as elite - decent role players, even then some will be gone because if they all get paid their worth 1) The team would suck and 2) It would in part because most or all of the cap space is tied up in non superstars/stars.

You have no idea how the next year is going to play out. Maybe some of those wings disappoint/suffer significant injury and go back to school, maybe this team is better than expected and picking closer to mid round than near the top. You can't worry about what might happen a year down the road. . . and if it does play out that way and they eventually have an abundance of quality wings/guards, that's a good problem to have.

Not basing it off one pass, but since you asked: the cut and drop off to Aldridge.

Smith's defensive position in the NBA will probably primarily be based off of matchup, which is why I said third big. Strangers things have happened though.
    It's fine, I see your points. I disagree on a few of them, but it's not like I have a crystal ball or anything, just my personal views/predictions.

I personally think at least Keldon is set in stone, which is already a deterrent for me to draft any 3-and-D high-floor SF, just because I see the starting SF position being set for years to come. It's ok if you don't, but I wouldn't want for example to draft Vassell, because of the overlap as well with our young guards. I also think the idea that next year's elite wings all dropping out, disappointing, or being injured is just as ridiculous, if not more, than the idea that they won't, but again, agree to disagree.

Lastly, I still don't see why you instantly relegate Smith to a "third big" when there's nothing stopping him from defending starting PFs. He doesn't lack length, he's quick on his feet for someone his size, his legs can use work but it's not like his body won't develop. It's not a Eubanks case, where he truly has to be relegated to the deep bench because he simply doesn't have the speed, agility, or IQ to hang with even bench bigs. But we all have our predictions on prospects, I guess... I'd love to know who you're pulling for in this draft. There doesn't seem to be a single prospect that satisfies what you're looking for (and the ones that do, you don't like, from what I've seen).

If somebody assures me that Smith would manage to have Bertans like impact, I would sign him up without hesitation, but I'm not sure he will, tbh.

Smith ceiling is Ibaka, imho. A defensive interior presence with outside shooting. I don't ever see him developing to the point of being a primary offensive option, he just doesn't seem to have the skillset. I would love a young Ibaka though, the thing is, the chances of him ever reaching that ceiling aren't ideal, imho.
    Well, considering Bertans has turned himself into one of the best shooters in the entire world in a shooting-first league, I agree with you wholeheartedly. But I was never talking about Bertans' shooting nor comparing it to Smith's, only saying they're quite different as prospects in terms of their defensive position/projection. Agree on Smith's ceiling - and that's what makes it so tempting to draft him. Ibaka is the absolute perfect 5 for the modern game (unless you have a freak like AD, of course). And if you take into account that Smith also has the potential to play the 4 depending on matchup, I don't see why we'd pass on him. It's not a surprise to see he's been rising in the draft - my personal "hot take" is that I could see him go in the top-10. We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Summary of poll results so far:

Top five voted prospects
    1) Jalen Smith
    2) Patrick Williams
    3) Aleksej Pokusevski
    4) Saddiq Bey
    5) Precious Achiuwa

Notes:

-Jalen Smith saw the biggest percentage increase in votes = plus 22.01%
    -Precious Achiuwa saw the biggest percentage decrease in votes = minus 18.57%

Risers from last month (in order from greatest increase to lowest)

1) Jalen Smith = +22.01%
    2) Saddiq Bey = +4.44%
    3) Patrick Williams = +2.98%

Prospects with lower percentage of votes (in order from greatest decrease to lowest)

1) Precious Achiuwa = -18.67%
    2) Aaron Nesmith = -11.61%
    3) Aleksej Pokusevksi = -4.66%
    4) Tyler Bey = -1.06%
    5) Isaiah Stewart = -0.68%

Will update later if we get more voters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fine, I see your points. I disagree on a few of them, but it's not like I have a crystal ball or anything, just my personal views/predictions.

I personally think at least Keldon is set in stone, which is already a deterrent for me to draft any 3-and-D high-floor SF, just because I see the starting SF position being set for years to come. It's ok if you don't, but I wouldn't want for example to draft Vassell, because of the overlap as well with our young guards. I also think the idea that next year's elite wings all dropping out, disappointing, or being injured is just as ridiculous, if not more, than the idea that they won't, but again, agree to disagree.

Lastly, I still don't see why you instantly relegate Smith to a "third big" when there's nothing stopping him from defending starting PFs. He doesn't lack length, he's quick on his feet for someone his size, his legs can use work but it's not like his body won't develop. It's not a Eubanks case, where he truly has to be relegated to the deep bench because he simply doesn't have the speed, agility, or IQ to hang with even bench bigs. But we all have our predictions on prospects, I guess... I'd love to know who you're pulling for in this draft. There doesn't seem to be a single prospect that satisfies what you're looking for (and the ones that do, you don't like, from what I've seen).
    Same here.

As promising as Johnson's start has been, the sample size is just too small for me to make a declaration as definitive as you did. Either way, he's a 2.5, just as the likes of Vassell and Nesmith are. One has nothing to do with the other and I'm not concerned with the young guards. White is a combo guard and Murray (despite his extension) and Walker have proven little. Again, if they all become quality players, good problem to have considering how valuable a commodity wings are.

Already explained that I don't see a lot of Smith types operating as the primary 4 for their respective teams and the ones who are, are featured offensive players.

I'm open to a myriad of possibilities if they stay at 11 (Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Williams, Smith), but more so than a particular player, I'd like to see them attempt to trade up to 6-7 (Wiseman, Okongwu, Hayes, Haliburton), so long as they can do so with some combination of 11, Murray or a piece from an Aldridge/DeRozan trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my opinion

- Jalen Smith and Aaron Nesmith , are the only two players when you plug in our lineup would make us a playoff team next year. They have the same impact as getting star level players at their position.
    - Patrick Williams and Devin Vassel can get there in a year or two, pat as a swiss army knife ( Draymond Green, Andre Iguodala ) and devin as an efficient 3&D wing ( Danny Green, Mikal Bridges ).

The others require more of a leap of faith.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So for all those high on Smith if Wiseman falls to 11th would you rather have him or Smith?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So for all those high on Smith if Wiseman falls to 11th would you rather have him or Smith?
    There's no way you can pass up on Wiseman if he falls to 11.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way you can pass up on Wiseman if he falls to 11.
    Not sure about that - the only way Wiseman falls to 11 is if something catastrophic happens - like a car accident, or him being caught using meth...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure about that - the only way Wiseman falls to 11 is if something catastrophic happens - like a car accident, or him being caught using meth...
    I am talking about still as he is today. (no drugs/accident/affairs/injuries) He has slipped down some since the beginning. I think most have him going at 2 but Ive also seen that warriors are not enamored with him. If they are not would he Fall past other teams as well. Also he has not really played in about a year and a half by time the draft happens. The rest is about 6 months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am talking about still as he is today. (no drugs/accident/affairs/injuries) He has slipped down some since the beginning. I think most have him going at 2 but Ive also seen that warriors are not enamored with him. If they are not would he Fall past other teams as well. Also he has not really played in about a year and a half by time the draft happens. The rest is about 6 months.
    Where were those supposed insider reports on which teams leaned to certain prospects? I actually don't recall reading any team was Wiseman-bound. It's an interesting idea for sure, I could see Wiseman dropping unexpectedly if GSW trades their pick for win-now players, as other teams don't have such a big hole at C to fill. Now, whether he falls all the way down to #11 is a different matter entirely... He'd probably get past Phoenix since they don't need him with Ayton there, maybe the Kangz as well, I don't know about other teams though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where were those supposed insider reports on which teams leaned to certain prospects? I actually don't recall reading any team was Wiseman-bound. It's an interesting idea for sure, I could see Wiseman dropping unexpectedly if GSW trades their pick for win-now players, as other teams don't have such a big hole at C to fill. Now, whether he falls all the way down to #11 is a different matter entirely... He'd probably get past Phoenix since they don't need him with Ayton there, maybe the Kangz as well, I don't know about other teams though.
    I may be misunderstanding what you are saying but I have not seen any that are saying they are leaning his way. This may be because they think he will be gone by then. I have seen some that said GS was not big on him.

Looking at the Draft.
    Wolves have a big.
    GS not interested from what I have heard.
    Hornets Could see them drafting a big. Think i saw they like Okongwu
    Bulls have a big think they are looking more PG
    Cavs havea few bigs. non dominant so posible here but they could use anyone.
    Hawks just tradded for Capela. Only position I say would be no draft for them would be PG. but if good enough drop jsut play them together.
    Pistons have Wood who they really like. Dont think he would be a high priority for them. Think they go more PG.
    Knicks have a C.
    Wizzards have a Center but have heard they are interested in Okongwu so maybe they see Bryant as more of a PF.
    Suns have a Center.
    Then us.

There are a Few teams that could grab him but I think Hornets then maybe Cavs would be best place for him to go. A lot of the teams have bigs already. Some team may take him if they feel he is just much better then what they have and dont like any of the others. You also have the possibility of Celtics trading up to picks to jump and grab him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect we will have greater clarity on teams and their leanings post finals and when combine information is released publicly.
    If Spurs are genuinely interested in Wiseman or Double ‘O’, they will probably need to trade up.
    Could this be the year we see a run on “bigs” in the 1st round?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may be misunderstanding what you are saying but I have not seen any that are saying they are leaning his way. This may be because they think he will be gone by then. I have seen some that said GS was not big on him.
    That's exactly what I was saying - I hadn't seen any teams actively listed as "interested" in Wiseman, only teams who weren't. Thanks for the list.

I expect we will have greater clarity on teams and their leanings post finals and when combine information is released publicly.
    If Spurs are genuinely interested in Wiseman or Double ‘O’, they will probably need to trade up.
    Could this be the year we see a run on “bigs” in the 1st round?
    Agreed. The numbers from this year's combine will have a bigger impact on prospects' standings than maybe any year before, since the other methods to scout players are so limited. We might see a bunch of risers/droppers in the weeks afterwards. And personally, I'm not hoping the Spurs trade up... Unless it's only a few positions, and it costs something like Murray + 11, I don't think the talent at the mid-top is worth shedding further assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Jalen Smith and Vernon Carey Jr.

Then, I want a facilitating PG and a defensive minded SF who can play point forward.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would prefer Okongwu over Wiseman , in the case of Okongwu at least your sure he is future and playoff proof. Jalen Smith and James Wiseman is more debatable , I think teams have Wiseman higher than Smith as a prospect but picking him is another matter. He is just not a modern center , can't pass , shoot or defend in space. How long would pure centers be valuable in the league, they are already being replaced by combo bigs or big wings with rim protection.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still voted Williams.

I would go Williams-Achiuwa-Smith-Hampton

Don't really want anyone else on the list, really don't want Toppin either.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Went with Williams.

But Nesmith looks intriguing, especially with his work ethic.

Thread Information