Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anti-CRT laws are a statutory shield for white backlash

The board voted 4-2 to lower the status of Tulsa Public Schools to “accredited with warning” on Thursday after the State Department of Education determined an implicit bias training for teachers in August 2021 violated House Bill 1775. The law, which restricts discussions of race and sex in public schools, is widely seen as targeting critical race theory. The state investigation began after a complaint from a teacher who has not been publicly identified, according to the Oklahoman.

The board also demoted another district, Mustang Public Schools near Oklahoma City, to “accredited with warning” after it self-reported that a teacher had violated House Bill 1775 by using an exercise that made students uncomfortable on account of their race or sex.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...s-shame-white/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teaching kids US history is unamerican, marxist and a threat to the whole world, according to a proposed congressional resolution

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    complainer had an axe of her own to grind and -- surprise, surprise -- is running for political office

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    right wingers keep banning books and picking on s, for some reason

I remember when PEN would put out press releases about book bans and it would be about Iran or the erstwhile Eastern Bloc.

Fifty-two books by 41 authors will be removed from the libraries of the Alpine School District in Utah, the state’s largest district, following a decision made by the district. The ban affects noteworthy les such as Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, Forever… by Judy Blume, and the 2015 Caldecott Honor Book, This One Summer, by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Jillian Tamaki. The books were selected for removal after an internal library audit determined that they contain “sensitive material” under a new law, and “do not have literary merit.” Twenty-one of all les removed (42%) feature LBGTQ+ characters and or themes.

Jonathan Friedman, director of free expression and education programs at PEN America, in response, said: “Sweeping removals of books are not supposed to be a routine thing in school libraries. Students have a right to learn about the variety of human experiences and perspectives that these books provide. Serious questions remain about how this decision was arrived at, and whether state statutes were properly applied.”

Friedman said: “This is a concerning escalation of the book banning we saw last school year. Elected officials and attorneys general are now easing and encouraging banning, facilitating the fulfillment of demands from local activists. We call on the Alpine School District to retain these books, demonstrate greater respect for considered processes and students’ right to read.”
    https://pen.org/press-release/ban-on...of-censorship/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congratulations, Keller.

You just banned the bible to own the libs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demonizing gays and trans is approximately 25% of the TX GOP platform. Appealing to the worst in people is the way they get elected.

What drew both groups to the suburban school district meeting in Tarrant County was a 36-page do ent of proposed district policies that was publicly released only 72 hours earlier. The proposals were championed by the school board’s four-member conservative majority, recently elected with the help of a flood of dark money, part of a nationwide trend in which crusading reactionaries have turned school boards into perches from which to wage war on literature, children, and non-existent curricula. Most controversially, the GCISD policies include a total ban on employees engaging in any discussion of what the district defines as “gender fluidity.”
    https://www.texasobserver.org/gcisd-...e-lgbtq-trans/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grandiose "call the manager" mentality.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...k-17391077.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "our nation's history"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US Army was so racist, it went to war against its own servicemen in England in WWII.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this guy won his election based on a fake issue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They Want to Kill Libraries

The Last Place in America Where You Are a Person, Not a Customer

In August, a small group of vocal, angry Idahoans targeted the Boundary County Library, demanding that the library purge 300 books on a list of “inappropriate” materials that circulates widely among right-wing conspiracy groups.

Boundary County Library didn’t have the books that the conspiracy theorists were angry about. Nevertheless, the group harassed and threatened the library staff, demanded the removal of the library board, and continued to target library staff even after they quit their jobs.

These conspiracists are part of a small but vocal minority of people who’ve been hoaxed by deep-pocketed right-wing media barons, who have propagated a lie that libraries are full of “groomers” who expose children to “inappropriate” materials as part of a program of sexual abuse.

Every accusation is a confession. The upper ranks of evangelicals and the Catholic Church are filled with pedophile abusers; as is the slate of MAGA election candidates.

The “groomer” panic is all astroturf. It’s a cynical ploy to whip up scared and easily confused people and point them at libraries, and not just libraries that have Gender on the shelf or host Drag Queen Story Hours. They’re targeting all the libraries.
    https://doctorow.medium.com/they-wan...s-ec045c06097e

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the public sphere has shrunk, libraries have expanded to pick up the slack. Librarians liase with social workers for their patrons, help them apply for emergency rental assistance, give them broadband onsite and to take home with them (the New York Public Library calls its wifi hospot program “lending out the entire internet”). Your library will loan you a suit for a job interview, tools to fix your home, or toys for your kid.

The Defund the Police movement asks us to reexamine the decision to load all kinds of non-law-enforcement duties on cops: social worker, mental health case-worker, domestic violence mediator. Both cops and their critics agree that it’s a mistake to ask cops to take on all these extra duties, and we’re meant to feel some sympathy for overburdened law enforcement officers whose jobs have expanded to fill the gaps in the austerity-frayed social safety net.

Librarians do all that too — and somehow, they manage to do it without killing anyone in a mental health crisis or struggling with addiction.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    o buddy, why are you obsessed with this topic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Ruffin_Tyler

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republican speech codes are reforming education at every level in Florida, to the detriment of free speech in the classroom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=&]Republican speech codes are reforming education at every level in Florida, to the detriment of free speech in the classroom.
    Nice!

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information