Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Considering all the white slot receivers like Edelman and Beasley who are uncoverable on those middle routes, even on 3rd and 20+ type situations (look at Buffalo last weekend, or Patriots-Jaguars in the 17-18 Championship game 4th quarter)... Scotty Miller of the Bucs, Amendola, Trent Taylor, etc... why hasn't the defense adjusted to stop them?

I think it's obvious why you don't see any white outside corners. They just don't have the long speed paired with the ability to turn on a dime. Black people naturally have a longer/bigger plantaris muscle in their legs which helps with those things. But, it can also be a disadvantage, especially when covering the slot. Why do those sub-6 foot white guys (and a couple 6-footers like Cooper Kupp) always get open, and why are they so impossible to cover?

(The only white guys you see in the secondary on teams today are usually box safeties like Harrison Smith [best example], Daniel Sorensen, Jeff Heath... there are a good handful.)

IMO, the answer is to start considering more smaller, shiftier white guys at that position whose sole purpose is to cover the slot, cover the Edelman's and Beasley's of the league, cover anything in the shallow middle of the field, and occasionally blitz. Those guys would be much better than the generally terrible nickel corner play we see around the league today.

Thoughts?

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Ins utional racism

My buddy played a couple episodes of 'Hard Knocks' couple months ago and the secondary goofs off the entire practice. Practically no technique talk. Just goofing and trash talk. The coaches are like grade school teachers

Secondary unit is like NBA locker room. You have to fit culturally. Coaches aren't willing to put their reputation on the line by sticking up for a non-black.

Richard Sherman is still an adequate corner in this league and he has little long distance speed. It is racism. Plain and simple.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Harrison Smith would be good in the nickel probably, though a little undersized. But he's great at safety, so. He's been my favorite defensive player to watch maybe ever, tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Harrison Smith would be good in the nickel probably, though a little undersized. But he's great at safety, so. He's been my favorite defensive player to watch maybe ever, tbh.
    Yeah, you don't rob peter to pay paul, and Harrison Smith is a likely future HOF strong safety, basically the OG version of Jamal Adams/Derwin James, so you don't with that. But he's also a taller, bigger dude. I'm talking about more of a shifty 5'10" 185 type of guy who might only run a 4.5 40 but has excellent cone drill/agility times and can lock down a Cole Beasley so the Rams don't give up a 3rd and 24 to him or the Jags don't give up a 3rd & 19 to Edelman with a Super Bowl ticket on the line.

lol @ Harrison Smith being undersized... he's 6'2 220. Basically the exact same size as Jamal Adams.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Yeah, you don't rob peter to pay paul, and Harrison Smith is a likely future HOF strong safety, basically the OG version of Jamal Adams/Derwin James, so you don't with that. But he's also a taller, bigger dude. I'm talking about more of a shifty 5'10" 185 type of guy who might only run a 4.5 40 but has excellent cone drill/agility times and can lock down a Cole Beasley so the Rams don't give up a 3rd and 24 to him or the Jags don't give up a 3rd & 19 to Edelman with a Super Bowl ticket on the line.

lol @ Harrison Smith being undersized... he's 6'2 220. Basically the exact same size as Jamal Adams.
    I guarantee that's enhanced numbers.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Ins utional racism

My buddy played a couple episodes of 'Hard Knocks' couple months ago and the secondary goofs off the entire practice. Practically no technique talk. Just goofing and trash talk. The coaches are like grade school teachers

Secondary unit is like NBA locker room. You have to fit culturally. Coaches aren't willing to put their reputation on the line by sticking up for a non-black.

Richard Sherman is still an adequate corner in this league and he has little long distance speed. It is racism. Plain and simple.

Alright...say we fix the "racism" part you still need to find the players. It's not like there's an abundance of white cornerbacks coming out of college that magically don't get drafted by NFL teams

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Alright...say we fix the "racism" part you still need to find the players. It's not like there's an abundance of white cornerbacks coming out of college that magically don't get drafted by NFL teams
    Exactly. The racism is fundamental. Just like the QB position 20 years ago. The change needs to occur at the grassroots level.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Chris Harris is the best slot CB if the last decade

its not about being white or black tbh, its being good at your job

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Chris Harris is the best slot CB if the last decade

its not about being white or black tbh, its being good at your job
    he played outside quite often though, when the broncos won the super bowl, roby was the slot for the most part.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    he played outside quite often though, when the broncos won the super bowl, roby was the slot for the most part.
    he played outside in base and moved into the slot in nickel. that was his role on denver most of his career

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    One of most overrated positions. Difference between starters and depth is marginal. Usually based on health and effectiveness of teammates infront

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    yeah, they always convert them to offense (usually slot receiver/punt returner) in the NFL for some reason. There is some inherent racial anti-white bias on defense. Well, the Cowboys are 100% black on defense and all I know is, they just gave up 49 points to the laughingstock franchise of sports.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Whoops, looks like Edelman can't catch. Should have played defense.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count

yeah I'm sure Bemidji State University is just a hotbed of untapped NFL potential. I mean this guy is such a stud, that he went to a school that you and I never heard of until we googled his name. If anything the Patriots were doing him a favor by creating a position for him when he certainly wouldn't see the field as a cornerback tbh

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

Thread Information