Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need to waste time on something that is clearly already decided.
    This. The NBA is nothing more than some WWE this year. I'll tune in next year when it isn't the ' Do it for Kobe!!! tour.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last time ratings were really bad was the '07 Finals. The ratings from '08-'19 were pretty good and were in the range from 14-20 million. Last year's finals averaged 15.14 million viewers. I'm not buying the reason for the ratings dropping this low as political. Sure there are some people who will stop watching because they hate the NBA's virtue signaling but if that's the case why were the ratings super high from '16-'19. During that time period is when players started speaking out and supporting BLM. By your logic the ratings during this period should be down because of the virtue signaling but they were actually high.

The common denominator from '16-'19 was the Warriors. With them being out and the Lakers-Heat not having an interesting story line is what has killed the ratings. Everybody knows the Lakers are going to win this series easily and that's why the tune out. Lebron is also a polarizing figure that is not liked. I know you will bring up politics but outside of that a lot of opposing fans have never really liked him. So what's the point of watching if you know a guy you hate is going to win.

Here are the ratings from previous years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Fi...vision_ratings
    The last time the ratings were this bad was never. Silver wishes he had 2007 Spurs v Cavs ratings. That was a series that was noncompe ive and super boring and yet it still outperformed this years finals. Bad story line? A Lakers franchise that was left for dead and huge nonfactor for nearly a decade. A team brought back to life from the ashes by Lebron James. That's a huge story line. It's the second biggest market in all of the NBA. Also Lebron gets the most votes for all star team out of every single player so clearly some people like him. You ain't passing the nose test with this bull.

Also the whole reason why Lebron is disliked to begin with (for the majority of his haters) is bc of his politics. The Bucks quit a playoff game in outrage of a shooting of a rapist and sex offender. Then the whole NBA sent out a referendum discussing how police need to do better and how racist we are. Then Silver allowed his league to honor a rapist, sex offender, and had a restraining order against him. This turned off a lot of people. And by my logic, yes the ratings were down last year for the NBA as a whole when they did get political. They were down by 23% if i remember correctly. The NBA finals were high bc of the Warriors for sure, you are right about that, people wanted the Raptors to beat them, but overall as a whole the league viewership was down 23% last year

This year they lost 40% viewership as a whole and 70% as a Finals. But politics have nothing to do with it

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More people watching professional wrestling than the NBA Finals
    Guilty!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOLakers not even as popular as pro wrestling.

LOLaker fans don't even get to enjoy the most obsolete, worthless and unwatched ty championship in all of sports.

The gots that stuck around still get no shine.

Imagine hanging around a site for 10+ years because of penis envy and you're waiting those ten years just to spray a fan board with emojis and this happens.

:LMAO 10 years for this??!?!?! ing sad you clowns. Biggest media market in the world with the biggest, most indentifable sports icon in the wold= LOWEST NBA FINALS RATINGS EVER.

LMAO.LMAO. I need you gots to win now so I can laugh even harder.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I know we got some bettors on ST. Anybody want in on this action?

This will increa$e rating$$

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last time the ratings were this bad was never. Silver wishes he had 2007 Spurs v Cavs ratings. That was a series that was noncompe ive and super boring and yet it still outperformed this years finals. Bad story line? A Lakers franchise that was left for dead and huge nonfactor for nearly a decade. A team brought back to life from the ashes by Lebron James. That's a huge story line. It's the second biggest market in all of the NBA. Also Lebron gets the most votes for all star team out of every single player so clearly some people like him. You ain't passing the nose test with this bull.

Also the whole reason why Lebron is disliked to begin with (for the majority of his haters) is bc of his politics. The Bucks quit a playoff game in outrage of a shooting of a rapist and sex offender. Then the whole NBA sent out a referendum discussing how police need to do better and how racist we are. Then Silver allowed his league to honor a rapist, sex offender, and had a restraining order against him. This turned off a lot of people. And by my logic, yes the ratings were down last year for the NBA as a whole when they did get political. They were down by 23% if i remember correctly. The NBA finals were high bc of the Warriors for sure, you are right about that, people wanted the Raptors to beat them, but overall as a whole the league viewership was down 23% last year

This year they lost 40% viewership as a whole and 70% as a Finals. But politics have nothing to do with it
    1.Hillary Clinton got more popular votes than Donald Trump but that doesn't make her well liked or loved. I apply the same rational to Lebron. Lebron to me is polarizing in the sense he can have a million hard core fans but he will also have a million hardcore haters. Ratings are reliant on both fanboys and haters tuning in. Haters are not going to watch if they know he's going to win which I think is contributing to the real low ratings.

2. I"m talking about Finals ratings. To me there are a better reflection of how popular the NBA is versus regular season. Regular season ratings have been going down for years so that's not a phenomenon. Final ratings were pretty good from the last 12 years up until this year. Sorry I just can't believe suddenly because politics the league became this unpopular considering the super majority of NBA fans are liberals. I remember reading a Wall Street Journal article 10 years ago about how the NBA had given up on conservative america and it wasn't their base for making money anymore. So conservatives not watching really should not harm them since they were not making the league money anyways.

3. Ratings are down because this a match up. Only one team has star power while the under doesn't have any. Nobody wants to watch this. It's a wake up call to the league in the sense they can't just rely on big market teams to carry them for ratings. There has to be great match ups. If they are not then people are not going to watch.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Well its the most meaningless finals in NBA history so it only makes sense its the least watched as well

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well its the most meaningless finals in NBA history so it only makes sense its the least watched as well
    I think there were series earlier in the playoffs that got good ratings like Nuggets-Clippers, Mavs-Clippers. People are more aware today due to social media if these match up are worth watching. It's much harder for the league to sell garbage which they are finding out right now.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    people keep mentioning ratings but don't mention views via internet...

i have seen a lot of playoffs games via stream. haven't tuned to abc, espn, tnt once.

they can't measure streams that aren't legal. and they're more readily available than ever before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1.Hillary Clinton got more popular votes than Donald Trump but that doesn't make her well liked or loved. I apply the same rational to Lebron. Lebron to me is polarizing in the sense he can have a million hard core fans but he will also have a million hardcore haters. Ratings are reliant on both fanboys and haters tuning in. Haters are not going to watch if they know he's going to win which I think is contributing to the real low ratings.

2. I"m talking about Finals ratings. To me there are a better reflection of how popular the NBA is versus regular season. Regular season ratings have been going down for years so that's not a phenomenon. Final ratings were pretty good from the last 12 years up until this year. Sorry I just can't believe suddenly because politics the league became this unpopular considering the super majority of NBA fans are liberals. I remember reading a Wall Street Journal article 10 years ago about how the NBA had given up on conservative america and it wasn't their base for making money anymore. So conservatives not watching really should not harm them since they were not making the league money anyways.

3. Ratings are down because this a match up. Only one team has star power while the under doesn't have any. Nobody wants to watch this. It's a wake up call to the league in the sense they can't just rely on big market teams to carry them for ratings. There has to be great match ups. If they are not then people are not going to watch.
    I think that this year was an exception. The league never cancelled a game before in the middle of the playoffs for such a stupid reason. The league never had BLM on their court. The league never had names on the back of the jersey that wasn't the last names of the players. The league never had coverage before the games talking about social justice and racism in America. The league never had players vote to cancel the playoffs. The league never wore wore the name's of rapists on the back of their jersey or honored them. It's not just republicans they have lost it's also middle America. The league didn't remind us every day about white privilege.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still pretending human rights and science are politics because the disgrace you people elected as president has tried to politicize virtually everything and his ignorant base laps it up because they've been brainwashed and kept in the dark their entire lives and are incapable of thinking for themselves. Dumbest country on earth.

This. The NBA is nothing more than some WWE this year. I'll tune in next year when it isn't the ' Do it for Kobe!!! tour.
    As predictable and annoying as that is, what did you want them to do about the Clippers and Bucks unexpectedly being eliminated early?

You can quibble about the officiating here and there, but there's been no '02 Kings massacre here and none of the Lakers' series have been close enough to claim they were decided in large part due to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still pretending human rights and science are politics because the disgrace you people elected as president has tried to politicize virtually everything and his blind base laps it up because they've been brainwashed and kept in the dark their entire lives and are incapable of thinking for themselves. Dumbest country on earth.

As predictable and annoying as that is, what did you want them to do about the Clippers and Bucks unexpectedly being eliminated early?

You can quibble about the officiating here and there, but there's been no '02 Kings massacre here and none of the Lakers' series have been close enough to claim they were decided in large part due to it.

They let the Lakers do whatever they wanted on defense in the Nuggets series on top of shooting 25 foodstamps in one quarter of game 1, albeit I couldn't see Denver winning after that shot by AD. The dirty foul on Adebayo to knock him out of the Finals was ridiculous too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that this year was an exception. The league never cancelled a game before in the middle of the playoffs for such a stupid reason. The league never had BLM on their court. The league never had names on the back of the jersey that wasn't the last names of the players. The league never had coverage before the games talking about social justice and racism in America. The league never had players vote to cancel the playoffs. The league never wore wore the name's of rapists on the back of their jersey or honored them. It's not just republicans they have lost it's also middle America. The league didn't remind us every day about white privilege.
    Yes I just tune in for the games themselves and ignore all pre and post game stuff now, it is bad. I just watch the games still because I’m a huge basketball fan, but most people aren’t so I imagine they just aren’t watching at all now tbh. And who can blame them tbh? The entire broadcast basically revolves over calling them racist. Who wants to watch that per par?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They let the Lakers do whatever they wanted on defense in the Nuggets series on top of shooting 25 foodstamps in one quarter of game 1, albeit I couldn't see Denver winning after that shot by AD. The dirty foul on Adebayo to knock him out of the Finals was ridiculous too.
    I'm not even going to bother debating that. Setting that aside, do you really think anyone but a healthy Clippers or Bucks was beating the Lakers in a series? If the answer is no, again I ask, what did you want the league to do? And if you think the league is "WWE ", then why bother following it in the first place?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didnt even watch 2017 and 2018 Finals tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not even going to bother debating that. Setting that aside, do you really think anyone but a healthy Clippers or Bucks was beating the Lakers in a series? If the answer is no, again I ask, what did you want the league to do? And if you think the league is "WWE ", then why bother following it in the first place?

The Lakers are an extremely flawed team that lacks the volume three point shooting you've been vaunting as a must-have in order to win. All it would've taken is a team with said shooting getting hot (which both Denver and Miami were coming into their respective series'). Instead the Lakers were able to play physical defense that the league hasn't allowed since the mid-00s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are an extremely flawed team that lacks the volume three point shooting you've been vaunting as a must-have in order to win. All it would've taken is a team with said shooting getting hot (which both Denver and Miami were coming into their respective series'). Instead the Lakers were able to play physical defense that the league hasn't allowed since the mid-00s.
    The can get by because they have the best player in the league and one of the best big men

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The can get by because they have the best player in the league and one of the best big men

True, but the league allowing them to play 90s-style defense sure made it easier. Like I said, it's the Kirby tour this year since the season was ed by the Rona.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but the league allowing them to play 90s-style defense sure made it easier. Like I said, it's the Kirby tour this year since the season was ed by the Rona.
    that too

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol flopping as already a thing in the 80s-90s - : Jordan (defensive flops), Mahorn, Rodman, Vlade, Reggie, Magic etc
    And then you have Kobe with his verbal flopping and D Fish
    I've yet to see anyone flop better

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might not even tune in next year. NBA will still be picking winners and losers next year.
    I was tuning in to stay loyal to the Spurs dynastic run. But that's over.
    Now, they're even robbing me of watching Lebron eat sh**.
    I think that was probably the other thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also have one of the greatest duos of all time and avoided the two teams who seemed equipped to beat them (I thought the Rockets had a miniscule chance), but I'll admit I'm surprised a team of their build is in this position and it's not like they eked their way to it.

"Getting hot" oversimplifies it and makes it sound like the game comes down to chance or luck. There's no league where that's less of a case. The Nuggets didn't have the defense or experience and the Heat don't have a certified superstar, but do have too many one way players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might not even tune in next year. NBA will still be picking winners and losers next year.
    I was tuning in to stay loyal to the Spurs dynastic run. But that's over.
    Now, they're even robbing me of watching Lebron eat sh**.
    I think that was probably the other thing.
    Next year should be better since there'll be more top-tier teams (Dubs will be back, Mavs and Celtics prolly take a step forward with Doncic and Tatum getting better, Denver getting another year of experience), but we'll have to see.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yup - not buying that politics are not affecting the ratings. They clearly are. Just start posting political sh1t on FB and watch real life friends and sometimes even family unfriend you People don't want to be told how to vote or even what's the most important issues to vote on, they want to figure it out themselves. And any long time fan knows that Lebron's finger prints are all over this which makes even more repulsive...and I think the fact that both LA teams were trying to make even more political statements by quitting the bubble season after the Kenosha incident may have done irreparable damage. They should have tried to keep that information in house.

Pretty much guarantee the networks will demand no more politics next year or we pull the chair out from you, NBA.

To think that when Jordan was LBJ's age he was drawing 35 million views in the Finals vs small market and very boring UTAH...in comparison to this year's finals which get's the same ratings as a Lifetime re-run

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also have one of the greatest duos of all time and avoided the two teams who seemed equipped to beat them (I thought the Rockets had a miniscule chance), but I'll admit I'm surprised a team of their build is in this position and it's not like they eked their way to it.

"Getting hot" oversimplifies it and makes it sound like the game comes down to chance or luck. There's no league where that's less of a case. The Nuggets didn't have the defense or experience and the Heat don't have a certified superstar, but do have too many one way players.
    The Nuggets had the guard play to give the Lakers problems on top of better three point shooting. I figured their lack of experience would do them in, but in this case it was the league letting the Lakers punch them in the head unimpeded. Didn't give the Heat much of a chance to begin with due to the lack of a superstar like you said, but that bull hit to Adebayo's neck was ridiculous.

Thread Information