Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only watch this as totally despise LAL and hope by some miracle they will lose again but if game not close off to bed - games start too late for us on EC

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nuggets had the guard play to give the Lakers problems on top of better three point shooting. I figured their lack of experience would do them in, but in this case it was the league letting the Lakers punch them in the head unimpeded. Didn't give the Heat much of a chance to begin with due to the lack of a superstar like you said, but that bull hit to Adebayo's neck was ridiculous.
    They only had Murray, who was due to regress to the mean, on fumes and by the end banged up too (could have really used Barton to give them a third creator).

They're a low volume, average 3-point shooting team that seemed better in the playoffs because of unsustainable shooting from Murray and Jokic.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup - not buying that politics are not affecting the ratings. They clearly are. Just start posting political sh1t on FB and watch real life friends and sometimes even family unfriend you People don't want to be told how to vote or even what's the most important issues to vote on, they want to figure it out themselves. And any long time fan knows that Lebron's finger prints are all over this which makes even more repulsive...and I think the fact that both LA teams were trying to make even more political statements by quitting the bubble season after the Kenosha incident may have done irreparable damage. They should have tried to keep that information in house.

Pretty much guarantee the networks will demand no more politics next year or we pull the chair out from you, NBA.

To think that when Jordan was LBJ's age he was drawing 35 million views in the Finals vs small market and very boring UTAH...in comparison to this year's finals which get's the same ratings as a Lifetime re-run
    Disney Sports / Turner Disney initiate all that. They don't have to publicize it if they don't want to.
    And I think they're trying to play a long game frankly. But they may not have the stomach for it if people are turning away in droves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I refuse personally as a former deployed doctor and Veteran to watch first part of game and anthem and just join in later. I do think some of decrease is reactionary to league and Disney actions and I admire personally Pop for standing and will leave it at that. I can see the other side as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, it has become 100% star player basketball as opposed to franchise baskeball. It does not matter anymore if it is the Lakers or Milwaukee or what have you. It is Lebron and AD versus Kawhi and PG wearing a random inter changeable shirt...as a fan, I enjoy seeing club basketball with loyal stars supporting a team first approach and not the other way around. It is becoming totally meaningless as a compe ion in a true sporting sense.
    Totally agree. This is what the NBA wanted, to prop up stars so casuals would have something to be opinionated about. This is also why USA does poorly in international play now. No fake ass star calls and bull fouls to help LeRoids, etc. Just basic team basketball. Shooting, defense, cutting, strategy. Something today's players lack experience with. This is why teams that stay together have a lot of success in international play, like Spain. The only way the US can beat teams like that is with overwhelming amounts of talent, like 08 and 2012/2016. Otherwise (like last year) they get clapped by everybody who plays like a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm honestly kinda shocked, it's lebron and the lakers in the finals. something is up.
    i'm conservative as but i've never really cared about the nba being pozzed, it's been pozzed a long time - just the nature of helmetless star driven sport. i dont even notice or care about the hypocrisy im just interested in the hoops. i enjoy watching basketball for its own sake - i love the sport even if i dont really follow it as analytically as many fans.
    the game has definitely changed in many ways for the worse - it's like when my son would turn the game to the easiest setting and just breeze through stuff and rack up tons of easy kills; is this really fun? an empty stat that means nothing because it's without real challenge or accomplishment (russ and his trip dubs). it's the difficulty and overcoming it; that's what made suffocating defense and low scoring games tense. each bucket was was a huge deal. a 30 point highlight was unbelievable.
    blah blah, kids today. if the finals suck after covid then you might be onto something but im not convinced its political; at any rate im one of the people that should turn it off bc of the sjw stuff but it's not that, it's just boring to watch most of the time.
    ill catch the game tonight probably

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    it's 2020. using cable TV ratings to determine popularity isnt really a great measure when most of the NBAs demo doesnt pay for cable. all sports are taking a huge hit right now. and i know people like to blame BLM terrorists for the downturn but the stanley cup finals numbers were ing putrid and they are the most white, least political league there is.

the injuries to Miami and some lebron fatigue is probably factoring into it as well, but let's be real here. NBA isnt going anywhere any time soon

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that this year was an exception. The league never cancelled a game before in the middle of the playoffs for such a stupid reason. The league never had BLM on their court. The league never had names on the back of the jersey that wasn't the last names of the players. The league never had coverage before the games talking about social justice and racism in America. The league never had players vote to cancel the playoffs. The league never wore wore the name's of rapists on the back of their jersey or honored them. It's not just republicans they have lost it's also middle America. The league didn't remind us every day about white privilege.
    Middle America is basically people who are republicans that vote republican 90 percent of the time and democrats about 10 percent of time. In other words they are just republicans but scared to admit it. At best if you combine middle america and conservative viewership I would say it would range 30-40 percent of NBA viewers and I'm being very generous with that number. Lets say that whole entire demographic decides to not watch the playoff games it still doesn't explain the 70 percent drop off in final ratings considering those 60-70 percent of NBA fans would be liberal. You have to ask yourself why those fans are not watching? I would say it has to do with a crappy match up, NFL, Covid causing some of them to lose interest in sports.

Also you are bringing up people getting offended by Jacob Blake and the players boycotting. If that was the case then why did Nuggets-Clippers game 7 get high ratings considering it happened right after the boycott?

I'm sure politics can play a factor in ratings drop but it doesn't tell the whole entire story of other factors that could have also impacted the ratings.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Nuggets had the guard play to give the Lakers problems on top of better three point shooting. I figured their lack of experience would do them in, but in this case it was the league letting the Lakers punch them in the head unimpeded. Didn't give the Heat much of a chance to begin with due to the lack of a superstar like you said, but that bull hit to Adebayo's neck was ridiculous.
    You farmers have no room

And then this happened in 2009

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's 2020. using cable TV ratings to determine popularity isnt really a great measure when most of the NBAs demo doesnt pay for cable. all sports are taking a huge hit right now. and i know people like to blame BLM terrorists for the downturn but the stanley cup finals numbers were ing putrid and they are the most white, least political league there is.

the injuries to Miami and some lebron fatigue is probably factoring into it as well, but let's be real here. NBA isnt going anywhere any time soon
    Agreed that's what I think it is. Ratings were high for the last 5 years the Warriors were in the finals. They didn't drop despite Warriors speaking out against Trump and being down for BLM. The only thing the ratings really reveal to me is the NBA can now longer rely solely on a big market to carry it's ratings. They need a great match up to generate good ratings.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also have one of the greatest duos of all time and avoided the two teams who seemed equipped to beat them (I thought the Rockets had a miniscule chance), but I'll admit I'm surprised a team of their build is in this position and it's not like they eked their way to it.
    The Rockets with Capella, CP3, and Ariza would've killed it this year.
    This year's iteration was a shadow of that team.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You farmers have no room
    I think it's more likely than not that that that was an accident.

But I don't blame anyone for thinking otherwise with Bowen's history / reputation.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed that's what I think it is. Ratings were high for the last 5 years the Warriors were in the finals. They didn't drop despite Warriors speaking out against Trump and being down for BLM. The only thing the ratings really reveal to me is the NBA can now longer rely solely on a big market to carry it's ratings. They need a great match up to generate good ratings.
    There weren't riots in the street and mass people losing their jobs because of a scamdemic.
    Sh** got real; people had enough of these re s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've yet to see anyone flop better
    he was good tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of viewers are also streaming free these days which might skew ratings a little bit. But yeah, it's all becoming boring and predictable somehow. That said, I'm actually enjoying watching this Heat team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I didnt even watch 2017 and 2018 Finals tbh
    todays nba

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People really trying to tow the "people don't have or pay for cable" line on this massive pile of bad news???

The Finals are on basic, FREE TV.

AND everyone is generally at home by and by.

Some of it is politics. Most of it is because no one cares about either team and the sport finishing its season when it usually is ramping up for the opening of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James fatigue and oversell as pseudo GOAT and his quitting side kick Davis not likeable

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not committing the time to reading this. But here is the NBA's PR release through their Yahoo Sports division.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mark-cuban-...175832808.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm honestly kinda shocked, it's lebron and the lakers in the finals. something is up.
    i'm conservative as but i've never really cared about the nba being pozzed, it's been pozzed a long time - just the nature of helmetless star driven sport. i dont even notice or care about the hypocrisy im just interested in the hoops. i enjoy watching basketball for its own sake - i love the sport even if i dont really follow it as analytically as many fans.
    the game has definitely changed in many ways for the worse - it's like when my son would turn the game to the easiest setting and just breeze through stuff and rack up tons of easy kills; is this really fun? an empty stat that means nothing because it's without real challenge or accomplishment (russ and his trip dubs). it's the difficulty and overcoming it; that's what made suffocating defense and low scoring games tense. each bucket was was a huge deal. a 30 point highlight was unbelievable.
    blah blah, kids today. if the finals suck after covid then you might be onto something but im not convinced its political; at any rate im one of the people that should turn it off bc of the sjw stuff but it's not that, it's just boring to watch most of the time.
    ill catch the game tonight probably
    This is the best take I have heard. I'm progressive but I didn't stop watching the Spurs after David Robinson supported George W Bush on the Iraq War. I disagreed with Dave and thought it was wrong for him to call people not patriotic for not supporting the war. I still watched the Spurs '03 run and didn't blink an eye about Dave's comments. So I can relate to what you are saying about loving the game regardless of political views of the players. I also agree with you take about how the game has just become boring with the rules making it easy for offensive players to score. I felt defensive slug fest really showed you what certain guys were made of and it tested them mentally/physically.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The Rockets with Capella, CP3, and Ariza would've killed it this year.
    This year's iteration was a shadow of that team.
    Yeah I agree. That team would have been nice this year...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not committing the time to reading this. But here is the NBA's PR release through their Yahoo Sports division.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mark-cuban-...175832808.html
    Glance at it. Pretty much framing the argument as don't blame us for being woke as they try to hinge the debate on Ted Cruz who doesn't have anything to do with the outlook of 99.999999 percent of people. Radio silence on the rigging too. Of course, there is no real story presented because woke Yahoo turned their comments off.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the best take I have heard. I'm progressive but I didn't stop watching the Spurs after David Robinson supported George W Bush on the Iraq War. I disagreed with Dave and thought it was wrong for him to call people not patriotic for not supporting the war. I still watched the Spurs '03 run and didn't blink an eye about Dave's comments. So I can relate to what you are saying about loving the game regardless of political views of the players. I also agree with you take about how the game has just become boring with the rules making it easy for offensive players to score. I felt defensive slug fest really showed you what certain guys were made of and it tested them mentally/physically.
    David was fooled. A lot of of conservatives were for a period of 3-10 years or so. Some snapped out of it sooner than others. I wouldn't be surprised if he feels much differently about it now. The irony was seeing liberals support all the sh** they railed about during the Bush years for Obama/Hillary. One side woke up. The other side does whatever they're told. I know this is a polarizing take; but it's pretty much the truth of the matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middle America is basically people who are republicans that vote republican 90 percent of the time and democrats about 10 percent of time. In other words they are just republicans but scared to admit it. At best if you combine middle america and conservative viewership I would say it would range 30-40 percent of NBA viewers and I'm being very generous with that number. Lets say that whole entire demographic decides to not watch the playoff games it still doesn't explain the 70 percent drop off in final ratings considering those 60-70 percent of NBA fans would be liberal. You have to ask yourself why those fans are not watching? I would say it has to do with a crappy match up, NFL, Covid causing some of them to lose interest in sports.

Also you are bringing up people getting offended by Jacob Blake and the players boycotting. If that was the case then why did Nuggets-Clippers game 7 get high ratings considering it happened right after the boycott?

I'm sure politics can play a factor in ratings drop but it doesn't tell the whole entire story of other factors that could have also impacted the ratings.
    Only 5.6 million people watched game 7 of the Clippers Nuggets series. High ratings. Today’s NBA
    Also only 1.6 million people watched game 6 so yes once again politics are playing a huge part. Did you just wake up to this or something? Bc there was a stat showing that NBA had the lowest rating conference finals, lowest rating second round match ups. I guess you say 5.6 million people for one game counts as a “win” for your argument but I say the 1.6 million people the game before, the lowest rated conference finals and the lowest rated NBA finals in history says that people aren’t liking the whole politics thing. It also blows out the notion that the majority of the NBAs fans are left. Maybe it was more even than you would like to admit.

Thread Information