Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have yet to meet a person that said they didn’t watch whatever sports game because of the protests. Every single person I know who didn’t watched or watched significantly less sports is due to either the quality of product, lack of coverage and competing priorities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mUsT bE tHe PoLiTiCs!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dodgers-rays-world-series-game-2-ratings-record-233849711.html

For second game in a row, Dodgers-Rays World Series sets all-time record for low viewership
    All sports are suffering ratings drops due to Covid and maybe the upcoming election drawing eyeballs to the cable news networks and away from sports, but I find it interesting that the NBA Finals, which featured the biggest star in American sports and the NBA's marquee franchise, flamed out ratings wise as hard as it did. Their drop off has been significantly more than most other sports.

And yeah, I don't buy "the politics" argument. NBA fanbase skews heavily liberal anyway. Now obviously the virus situation is probably the main factor, but I think the subpar on-court product is losing fans more than NBA brass would probably like to admit. As I said, I think the sport is "too easy" for a handful of select NBA superstars to dominate, translating into Lebron and such being overrepresented in the Finals every year. The actual on-court playstyle looks like a glorified And-1 compe ion rather than a refined professional sport. Parity is non-existent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All sports are suffering ratings drops due to Covid and maybe the upcoming election drawing eyeballs to the cable news networks and away from sports, but I find it interesting that the NBA Finals, which featured the biggest star in American sports and the NBA's marquee franchise, flamed out ratings wise as hard as it did. Their drop off has been significantly more than most other sports.

And yeah, I don't buy "the politics" argument. NBA fanbase skews heavily liberal anyway. Now obviously the virus situation is probably the main factor, but I think the subpar on-court product is losing fans more than NBA brass would probably like to admit. As I said, I think the sport is "too easy" for a handful of select NBA superstars to dominate, translating into Lebron and such being overrepresented in the Finals every year. The actual on-court playstyle looks like a glorified And-1 compe ion rather than a refined professional sport. Parity is non-existent.
    Agreed and I would add to what you are saying that there was really no great match ups worth watching outside of Mavs-Clippers,Clipper-Nuggets. Those were the best series of the playoffs. Nugget-Laker had potential to be good but the Davis shot prevented that series from being a 7 game series. Across the board you had terrible match ups that weren't watching. I think the Warriors being back next year, and a healthy Nets team with Durant-Kyrie could make things more interesting across the board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed and I would add to what you are saying that there was really no great match ups worth watching outside of Mavs-Clippers,Clipper-Nuggets. Those were the best series of the playoffs. Nugget-Laker had potential to be good but the Davis shot prevented that series from being a 7 game series. Across the board you had terrible match ups that weren't watching. I think the Warriors being back next year, and a healthy Nets team with Durant-Kyrie could make things more interesting across the board.

I think there is gone to be a persistent effect to some effect - I just personally avoid the first part of games and tune in later. I have friends won’t watch at all anymore. I expect ratings will remain down to some extent for awhile. I for one am tired of LeBron especially but endure all the over hype for him anyway, cause I still truly love the game.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    NBA Revenue dropped 10%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Israel in shambles

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keepin' dem ratings down.

Sorry, don't care to find the real video.

Bot tone is fitting for these corn-holers anyhow.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many time, even recently, have lefty idiots came on here and gave MJ sh** for saying Republicans buy shoes too?

https://www.westernjournal.com/go-wo...ayer-salaries/

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also better than NBA Finals.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also better than the NBA Finals.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is sad but also better than the NBA Finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^
    Burn more calories than beisbol players

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me i is all about James (LeRoid) - cannot stand him and anyone he plays for - did watch a little of JV injured Heat taking them to 6 games but only for a few minutes. I also just tune out opening all games as just want to avoid all the kneegate drama from players who really in the end primarily are concerned with their financial interest (most).

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    today’s NBA

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^
    Better than 90s NBA tbh

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    ^
    Better than 90s NBA tbh
    Hero ball > Buddy ball

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sun...ip-1234793078/

And that's with the league's marquee team and player in the Finals. Covid to blame? Some people turned off by BLM? Combination of both?

I think it goes deeper than that. Using this forum as barometer, we've seen many of the usual NBA fans no longer post much about the sport. Mav Crew, HarlemHeat, among many others, despite them being active in the NFL forum, political forum and such. Lefty might've jokingly predicted it with today's NBA, but I think he was on to something. The modern game centered around 3 pointers and fouls is uninteresting, with the league doing everything and anything to accelerate pace even more, with re ed rules like a 14 second shot clock after an offensive rebound. It's obvious the league's strategy is to appeal to teenagers on twitter, since the modern product is producing more "highlights" than ever before, which are easily shared on social media. Not to mention their courting of "twitter drama," which also appeals to teenagers and man-children. The NBA is the only league I know of to have articles about "what storylines to watch out for this season."

Those factors have personally turned me off the NBA, but what's also accelerated my disinterest is how star-centric the sport is (or always was). Maybe I never fully realized it or admitted it, but the amount of in-game impact a single player has in the sport is ridiculous. Lebron in the Finals 10 times with 3 different teams. NBA team building philosophy is basically, "sign a couple of stars, make playoffs. Sign Lebron, make Finals." This makes team building and player development also uninteresting, and as fans, you're either hoping to make a splash by signing a top 5 player or pray the ping-pong balls bounce in your favor. If that doesn't happen, your team has no chance to do much of anything, and usually for decades. In other sports, you're not tied to stars this way. Patrick Mahomes still needs a line and a defense. Mike Trout will get about the same number of at bats as the 9 hitter. Hockey stars only play about 30 minutes out of 60.

The Covid and Black Lives Matter situations are partly to blame I'm sure, but I think the declining ratings might point to a larger issue with the sport/league that has turned off many core fans.
    Still higher than the 1999* Finals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still higher than the 1999* Finals
    still bitter about the Forum going out in shame

Thread Information