Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I've never seen so much "white trash" in my life until I come here. Buyer's remorse for sure. The place is flooded with nothing but stoners, smokers and overall dilapidation. Everything looks like it was last updated in the 1950s and falling apart. Ugh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Meanwhile the sports teams all have new stadiums

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I've never seen so much "white trash" in my life until I come here. Buyer's remorse for sure. The place is flooded with nothing but stoners, smokers and overall dilapidation. Everything looks like it was last updated in the 1950s and falling apart. Ugh.
    It's not like it is some big secret.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...us/3476269001/

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    As I’m sure is the case with most states, even most cities, it depends where you go that will form your opinion.

There are certainly some less than ideal places to visit. And many parts of Detroit, particularly neighborhoods close to the city but on the outer edge that are run down, broken down, and falling apart. But within the city district, especially midtown, things are vastly nicer and getting better, from new buildings and new businesses to upgraded communities and neighborhoods. And if you’re talking about the suburban outskirts around metropolitan Detroit, there are some very nice, well kept, updated towns that are not only beautiful but very affluent. From Novi up to Beverly Hills and Rochester Hills to the Grosse Pointes, there are some suburban cities that are nothing like what you describe and compare favorably to the some of the other richest cities in the country. And there is some suburban Detroit nightlife that’s quite good. It’s no NYC nightlife or the craziness of Las Vegas or Bourbon Street. But also far from a dump.

Depending where you are in the state, you can get a drastically different experiences. Visiting Detroit is nothing like visiting the western part of the state around the Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo areas, which would be very different from visiting up north by Traverse City or Mackinaw. Now I’m not saying Michigan is a Midwest paradise. It’s not. And it’s not for everyone. And we got our share of problems. But it really depends where you’re at.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    As I’m sure is the case with most states, even most cities, it depends where you go that will form your opinion.

There are certainly some less than ideal places to visit. And many parts of Detroit, particularly neighborhoods close to the city but on the outer edge that are run down, broken down, and falling apart. But within the city district, especially midtown, things are vastly nicer and getting better, from new buildings and new businesses to upgraded communities and neighborhoods. And if you’re talking about the suburban outskirts around metropolitan Detroit, there are some very nice, well kept, updated towns that are not only beautiful but very affluent. From Novi up to Beverly Hills and Rochester Hills to the Grosse Pointes, there are some suburban cities that are nothing like what you describe and compare favorably to the some of the other richest cities in the country. And there is some suburban Detroit nightlife that’s quite good. It’s no NYC nightlife or the craziness of Las Vegas or Bourbon Street. But also far from a dump.

Depending where you are in the state, you can get a drastically different experiences. Visiting Detroit is nothing like visiting the western part of the state around the Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo areas, which would be very different from visiting up north by Traverse City or Mackinaw. Now I’m not saying Michigan is a Midwest paradise. It’s not. And it’s not for everyone. And we got our share of problems. But it really depends where you’re at.
    Nowhere near Detroit. I'm staying in Grand Rapids and I spent most of last weekend in Muskegon, and I'm going back there today to hang out with this chick I met in October in Grand Rapids. But she lives in Muskegon though she occasionally goes to GR and got her bachelor's degree there (!!). It seems like a very low educated state, especially the large middle aged population. At least I got a $7.99 haircut in Grand Haven (near Muskegon) on Sunday.

Almost nothing open for dine-in. Drive thru is lame. #DitchWhitmer22

I'll probably drive back to Texas this weekend if I can.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I've been in Detroit 2 times in my life. Once at an airport in May 2003 and then again last October when I slept in my car in West Detroit around the Southfield area. I was actually supposed to be staying at a Ramada hotel there but it was shut down, I guess due to covid. So I slept in the parking lot in my car.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    Only been to the Grand Rapids area a handful of times, and not recently. But you can say that a lot of the southwestern part of Michigan is considered the sticks. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek. All kinds of boonie with not much going on, also the Bible Belt area of Michigan, a lot of middle class, lower middle class white midwesterners, with rebellious teenage kids who probably would fit your OP description. 20+ years ago I had a high school friend who went to Grand Valley University and I went to visit one summer weekend. Absolutely nothing to do there, so we basically drank, smoked weed, and played euchre for 40 hours straight, then I left. So I kind of understand where you’re coming from if things haven’t changed too much.

But there are some nicer areas out there too, if the state were opened up. A little north of Muskegon is a town called Ludington right off the water that has a cool strip of bars. And East Grand Rapids is supposedly one of the most affluent small (non metropolitan) cities in America. So once again, it probably has to do with where you go. And it certainly doesn’t help that much of the state is either shut down or still heavily restricted.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Only been to the Grand Rapids area a handful of times, and not recently. But you can say that a lot of the southwestern part of Michigan is considered the sticks. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek. All kinds of boonie with not much going on, also the Bible Belt area of Michigan, a lot of middle class, lower middle class white midwesterners, with rebellious teenage kids who probably would fit your OP description. 20+ years ago I had a high school friend who went to Grand Valley University and I went to visit one summer weekend. Absolutely nothing to do there, so we basically drank, smoked weed, and played euchre for 40 hours straight, then I left. SO I kind of understand where you’re coming from ifnthings haven’t changed too much.

But there are some nicer areas out there too, if the state were opened up. A little north of Muskegon is a town called Ludington right off the water that has a cool strip of bars. And East Grand Rapids is supposedly one of the most affluent small (non metropolitan) cities in America. So once again, it probably has to do with where you go. And it certainly doesn’t help that much of the state is either shut down or still heavily restricted.
    Yeah our governor (Whitmer) has taken a heavy toll on the state and the fun opportunity. I'd say the women are more attractive in Michigan than in Texas but the weed use has become a rampant problem like Colorado since they voted for statewide legalization in '18. The girl I'm seeing is nice and all, but she smokes pot... ugh. She's 30, definitely not a teenager, but she lives her life like a teenager... plays video games, goes bowling, snowboarding, boating, homebody, works a 16/hour wage job... barely above minimum wage... etc.

It's like it's this dead end life place that is off the beaten path (the state literally is geographically tucked up north in the midst of a series of great lakes and off the major highways so it'll never be a target of attack in say, a nuclear warfare) of the rest of the mainland USA. It's a completely different culture from places like the coasts or even Chicago or Texas or Florida or Atlanta or North Carolina. There is no real long term goal of bettering yourself in life in Michigan. Life is just slow and ....dead-end.

It's also very humid which is nice for a guy with dry skin issues like me, I don't have those skin psoriasis issues in Michigan like I do in a dry state like Texas. (Colorado was AWFUL! My entire face was literally a peeling tomato when I visited CO in 2017.) But I imagine the summers here are insufferable. 80-90+ with suffocating great lakes humidity, and the hotels already have questionable A/C. Doesn't sound fun.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Largest Arab community in the USA. They replaced the white migration out.

Detroit is rebounding but unlikely it ever regains its Global status.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Largest Arab community in the USA. They replaced the white migration out.

Detroit is rebounding but unlikely it ever regains it's Global status.
    Dearborn? Yeah, they moved in a couple generations ago to build cars, because ya know, capitalism... compe ion? The whites didn't want to build cars for $7.25 an hour, so the Lebanese, Jordanians, Emiratis, etc. did. and they came in with good experience so Ford/GM/Chrysler hired them... why not?

"Dearbornistan" is actually a nice little place to visit if you go in with an open mind eager to experience a new culture instead of xenophobia. I went there 1 time and had a good time trying out the various falafel, schwarma, gyros, y lamb and rice etc. places and nothing was overpriced there. Most of the younger women there don't even wear headscarfs in public, they're quite liberal / American, and 2nd / 3rd gen and not ethnocentric to their own culture... they even date/marry outside their race/religion. They're not some scary jihadis wearing mosque attire 24/7 and saying allahu akhbar death to america nonstop like you think.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Dearborn? Yeah, they moved in a couple generations ago to build cars, because ya know, capitalism... compe ion? The whites didn't want to build cars for $7.25 an hour, so the Lebanese, Jordanians, Emiratis, etc. did. and they came in with good experience so Ford/GM/Chrysler hired them... why not?

"Dearbornistan" is actually a nice little place to visit if you go in with an open mind eager to experience a new culture instead of xenophobia. I went there 1 time and had a good time trying out the various falafel, schwarma, gyros, y lamb and rice etc. places and nothing was overpriced there. Most of the younger women there don't even wear headscarfs in public, they're quite liberal / American, and 2nd / 3rd gen and not ethnocentric to their own culture... they even date/marry outside their race/religion. They're not some scary jihadis wearing mosque attire 24/7 and saying allahu akhbar death to america nonstop like you think.

I've visited Arab nations. I'm conservative they don't scare me. My admiration for their culture also recognizes how popular and powerful it can be. I have an extended family member that practices Islam and has told me about occassional radical voices within the mosques. They must hold their own community in check.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'd have no problem living close to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, it's beautiful.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I've been in Detroit 2 times in my life. Once at an airport in May 2003 and then again last October when I slept in my car in West Detroit around the Southfield area. I was actually supposed to be staying at a Ramada hotel there but it was shut down, I guess due to covid. So I slept in the parking lot in my car.
    I think Detroit was the forerunner for an area like Northern Minneapolis, which had its factories mostly shut down and a lot of black influx and white flight. But Detroit was on a much larger scale and ultimately decades ahead of their curve. I imagine much similarities between it and Baltimore. J-Stone is right that both surely have their newly remodeled areas; but both are failures on the whole.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I'd have no problem living close to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, it's beautiful.
    lol, the UP is basically another state. If Wisconsin or Canada annexed it nobody would notice.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    It's a good area from everything I hear. I wish I went there when I had the chance.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    It's a good area from everything I hear. I wish I went there when I had the chance.
    I thought you lived in Minneapolis, not the Iron Range / Duluth area

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I thought you lived in Minneapolis, not the Iron Range / Duluth area
    I visited North Shore though.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I visited North Shore though.
    I got to visit lake Michigan with my new girlfriend this evening. It was cold and windy on the pier but otherwise a very warm night in West Michigan

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I got to visit lake Michigan with my new girlfriend this evening. It was cold and windy on the pier but otherwise a very warm night in West Michigan
    I much prefer the fresh water of Lake Superior. Been to Green Bay or Milwaukee? That salt smell is pretty strong.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I much prefer the fresh water of Lake Superior. Been to Green Bay or Milwaukee? That salt smell is pretty strong.
    I've been to Kenosha (but not by the water), Chicago close enough to the water to smell the salt, Lake Geneva, and Madison, Wisconsin. And now the Michigan side of it in west Muskegon. Wasn't too salty smelling last night but there was still ice and it was windy. Never been to GB or MIL. Might go to GB at some point in the next few years if the Cowboys play there in like a September or October game.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Disappointed. I really thought the music would turn more ominous as the white % went down. Like a metallica song.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I've been to Kenosha (but not by the water), Chicago close enough to the water to smell the salt, Lake Geneva, and Madison, Wisconsin. And now the Michigan side of it in west Muskegon. Wasn't too salty smelling last night but there was still ice and it was windy. Never been to GB or MIL. Might go to GB at some point in the next few years if the Cowboys play there in like a September or October game.
    Lambeau Field is the holy cathedral of football.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    It’s no place for Andy

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Disappointed. I really thought the music would turn more ominous as the white % went down. Like a metallica song.
    True. I've seen enough sh** on Liveleak, the sh** that YT takes down to know that certain hoods in Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, you don't want to just hang out. It wasn't always that way though. So, this stuff about well, downtowns are doing good; well, yea, they usually do. The block around Staples Center in LA doing good; but a good chunk of the sh** in the outer reaches is horrendous.

Thread Information