Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James has certainly not surpassed Duncan. Tim is simply underrated. And this is because the Spurs did not repeat.

I still have Duncan above James, Kobe, and Shaq. Lebron still has opportunity to overtake though.
    But he was sooooo close to repeating on two occasions ('05/'06 and '13/'14), I don't think that should factor into the discussion at all.

Duncan was two bad breaks away from 5-peating from '03-'07.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he was sooooo close to repeating on two occasions ('05/'06 and '13/'14), I don't think that should factor into the discussion at all.

Spurs would've gotten annihilated by the Pistons in 2004, but I have no doubt that they would've won in 2006 if not for that Manu foul. Still hurts to this day :'(

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No repeats, no GOAT discussion for backdoor timmy tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would've gotten annihilated by the Pistons in 2004, but I have no doubt that they would've won in 2006 if not for that Manu foul. Still hurts to this day :'(
    I don't see any reason to believe they would have been "annihilated" by the '04 Pistons when they beat the '05 Pistons a year later. Maybe the Pistons were better in '04 and the Spurs were better in '05, but it still would have been a good series with both teams having a chance.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

one could also argue they were 3 good breaks away from 0 championships from 03-07

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one said a thing about the "Spurs organization" until after his arrival and now suddently after the fact pople want to pretend he walked into what they became under him?

He dispelled this notion before it even began by doing what he did from '97-'04 (early 00s in particular). He carried teams offensively ranging from aging to in transition, with zero reliable perimeter creation throughout and eventually no second superstar/star period, to 2 championships and perennial contender status.

For some reason his prime is seemingly forgotten by non Spurs fans, who remember him as the old, one legged version from the "beautiful game" years and think the team always played that style.
    Very well said......spot on!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan didn't chase rings, and ultimately trusted the process and the coaching. Duncan is on the same level that I would rate Lebron as an ultimate teammate, making players better. However, Duncan is a bigger winner. Lebron James is one of the best all around talents the game has ever seen, however to me he's a ring chaser and not even in the shadow of Jordan. They are completely different players. He's a top 5 player all time, but in a different avenue. His greatness is in his own category. There really isn't much to compare Duncan and James in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan didn't chase rings, and ultimately trusted the process and the coaching. Duncan is on the same level that I would rate Lebron as an ultimate teammate, making players better. However, Duncan is a bigger winner. Lebron James is one of the best all around talents the game has ever seen, however to me he's a ring chaser and not even in the shadow of Jordan. They are completely different players. He's a top 5 player all time, but in a different avenue. His greatness is in his own category. There really isn't much to compare Duncan and James in.
    Context matters; Duncan had Robinson when he joned the league and (at the time) a competent FO and head coach
    Jordan would have bolted if he could have, he publicly threw his FO under the bus many times, but moving and teaming wasn't as easy as it is today, then Pippen and Phil arrived so of course he stayed
    LeBron wasn't going to win if he stayed in Cleveland, his dragged that sorry ass team to the 07 Finals, but his ty owner and GM did nothing to improve the team

Blame the media for judging players on rInGz, that puts pressure on every star

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context matters; Duncan had Robinson when he joned the league and (at the time) a competent FO and head coach
    Jordan would have bolted if he could have, he publicly threw his FO under the bus many times, but moving and teaming wasn't as easy as it is today, then Pippen and Phil arrived so of course he stayed
    LeBron wasn't going to win if he stayed in Cleveland, his dragged that sorry ass team to the 07 Finals, but his ty owner and GM did nothing to improve the team

You can definitely say Duncan lucked out with Robinson at the start of his career. Robinson was still a superstar from '97-'00. Tim benefited from that tremendously in the sense it allowed him to win his first ring at a very young age. After '00 Robinson declined at a high rate. In '01 he was barely an all-star but no longer a superstar and after '01 he became just a good role player. You gotta give Tim credit for staying here after '00 and taking his lumps from the Lakers in '01 and '02 with no hope in sight of overcoming them. It could have been easy for Tim to give up after those 2 years of losing to the Lakers. I'm not sure if Lebron would have had the mental for ude to overcome the Kobe-Shaq Lakers like Duncan did in '03.
    Last edited by daslicer; 11-18-2020 at 03:55 PM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

truth nukes

Thread Information