My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol self loathing

Or a mark of humility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see it. We all saw what happened in 2012 when the Rs tried running on a bland corporatist agenda. Their next move is to continue embracing Trump's pseudo-populism only with a candidate who's well spoken and looks presidential to suburban women.
    They will have the same kind of problem that outright terrorists tend to have: Finding someone competent who isn't a total whackadoodle.

That kind of pseudo-populism does not tend to attract people who aren't a tad off-kilter to begin with.

Sad!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing happens. Dems wear out their welcome, get overconfident and continue to trot out terrible candidates like Shillary or old Joe. The GOP keeps doing it's thing with gerrymandering, voter suppression and taking advantage of the dumb/uneducated voter.
    What would a good candidate be then?

Mostly agree with you here. Dems need to walk the walk when it comes to policies that benefit the black and brown voters taht are going to give them the keys.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying a corporate tax system that requires Amazon to pay higher corporate taxes every year wouldn't shrink the value of Amazon stock? Do you not know how stock is valued?

The "how do you tax stock" is a total strawman argument (you could actually impose a wealth tax on stock but that's not my point). Bezos stock is worth what it's worth because of how much surplus-value goes to the stockholder vs. other stakeholders. If more surplus-value was going towards workers, the government (via taxes), vendors, etc. the stock would inherently be worth less.
    lol that is just wrong

You are right that I am too lazy to explain to you what determines the value of a companies stock and how that value has little to do with how much their workers get paid or how much they paid in corporate taxes

It's also lazy of you to point at a rich guy and say it's not fair or things should be more fair. I mean if you have a specific tax proposal in regards to corporate taxes or capital gains taxes let's hear it.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    lol that is just wrong

You are right that I am too lazy to explain to you what determines the value of a companies stock and how that value has little to do with how much their workers get paid or how much they paid in corporate taxes

It's also lazy of you to point at a rich guy and say it's not fair or things should be more fair. I mean if you have a specific tax proposal in regards to corporate taxes or capital gains taxes let's hear it.
    lol just gliby saying "that's all wrong"

Stocks are valued off expected future free cash flow to equity (i.e., surplus-value). This is corporate finance 101. If workers need to be paid more and income is taxed at a higher rate, there's going to be less future cash flow to equity. Are you seriously saying that the cost of labor and corporate income taxes don't have any relationship with a company's market cap

Specific proposal - Tax capital gains at the ordinary tax rate and restore the tax rates we had back in the 1950s when the country actually had a middle class. Increase the estate tax to 75% on any estate value over $5 million since the only people who get hurt by an estate tax are trust fund babies who did nothing to earn it. Is that specific enough?
    Last edited by Will Hunting; 10-21-2020 at 05:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no looney tunes part of the GOP. They're just the GOP.
    I dunno about that. It is right now because Dear Leader. But once he's out of the picture (and he inevitably will be sooner or later), I'm not sure what that picture looks like.

Frankly, I can't see an ending to Trumpism that's not a complete flameout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what happens to the Republican Party if something happens to Mitch McConnell?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Cocaine Mitch is just a vessel for Charles Koch and the other industrialists who want to return the country to the 1920s. He's easily replaceable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These huge wealth gaps everyone loves to moan about are mostly entrepreneurs that built companies from zero and those billions they have are based on the appreciation of their stock in their companies. Its not dollars in their pocket its in the value of the companies they created. , Bezos started from nothing in his garage and built Amazon. Jobs and Woz started in their garage and built Apple. Google was a little startup going up against giant Yahoo and kicked their ass. Its something to respect, not resent.
    Bezos - graduate of Palmetto Senior High where my church group plays Ultimate Frisbee on Sunday evenings (pre-covid). A cousin of his works where I work.

It's amazing that these people can come from nothing and build up these gigantic companies. I remember when I used to order textbooks from Amazon - never dreamed it would take over retail the way it has.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bezos - graduate of Palmetto Senior High where my church group plays Ultimate Frisbee on Sunday evenings (pre-covid). A cousin of his works where I work.

It's amazing that these people can come from nothing and build up these gigantic companies. I remember when I used to order textbooks from Amazon - never dreamed it would take over retail the way it has.
    if they had nothing where did his parents come up with 250000?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blaming your failure on your mother. That's pathetic.
    there’s a whole lot of irony here. Maybe more irony than any single post on this site.

so where’s your big boy answer about what should make anyone support the Republican Party?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol that is just wrong

just say you’re too frightened and not intelligent enough to answer the question. It would save time.

and just like the other “self made” success on here, you don’t understand economics either.

jesus

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't really get the joke. My mom is a lawyer (now a judge) and gave me every opportunity in the world. I'm by no means saying I'm personally hard done by.

impossible, they never did anything to help you at all. You’re a self made success, and you didn’t inherit anything, and did every single thing to achieve your success.

at least that’s what all the truly truly successful people on spurstalk did.

jesus

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "you just don't think it's fair" argument can be applied to literally any discussion where one side is advocating for changing something. It's lazy.
    it’s actually a pretty common tactic by what have devolved into trumpers.

they think that trying to shame people into silence and acceptance as the people that use their wealth to buy the people that make the rules to favor them.

Because they think they’ll have that kind of money some day, and they are naturally ty people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mostly agree with you here. Dems need to walk the walk when it comes to policies that benefit the black and brown voters taht are going to give them the keys.
    Mic e Obama would be a good, appealing candidate, but apparently doesn't want to run. Keep looking in that mold.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    andrew yang
    aoc
    sherrod brown

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    andrew yang
    aoc
    sherrod brown
    Sherrod was my #1 choice this year but in hindsight I'm glad he didn't run, his senate seat is too important.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Donald Trump Jr. could crush Republican senators — and take over the GOP from his father

Wilson told The Guardian,

“What I tell all these Republicans who think they’re going to run in ’24 for president — Ben Sasse and Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz — is they’re not going anywhere.

They should stop right now.

They’re wasting their time and everyone else’s,

because the nominee in 2024 is going to be Donald Trump, Jr.

He will come in, he will have his father’s endorsement, and

he will promise great feats of lib ownership.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/how-donald-trump-jr-could-crush-republican-senators-and-take-over-the-gop-from-his-father

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    andrew yang
    aoc
    sherrod brown
    Wow that's a ty take

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I don’t even think AOC intends to run in 2024. She’s got her eye on Schumer’s seat in 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t even think AOC intends to run in 2024. She’s got her eye on Schumer’s seat in 2022.
    She can try but she'll lose

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    She can try but she'll lose
    I’m not sure about that. She got the celebrity status and name recognition most upstart progressive candidates struggle to get.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stocks are valued off expected future free cash flow to equity (i.e., surplus-value). This is corporate finance 101. If workers need to be paid more and income is taxed at a higher rate, there's going to be less future cash flow to equity. Are you seriously saying that the cost of labor and corporate income taxes don't have any relationship with a company's market cap
    Sounds like you got the stock market all figured out. You should open a RobinHood account asap.

Specific proposal - Tax capital gains at the ordinary tax rate and restore the tax rates we had back in the 1950s when the country actually had a middle class. Increase the estate tax to 75% on any estate value over $5 million since the only people who get hurt by an estate tax are trust fund babies who did nothing to earn it. Is that specific enough?
    Yeah that's specific. Good luck with that platform.

I think the middle class is under taxed but those rates seem excessive even to me.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Sounds like you got the stock market all figured out. You should open a RobinHood account asap.

Yeah that's specific. Good luck with that platform.

I think the middle class is under taxed but those rates seem excessive even to me.
    Goes without saying that you’d be adjusting for inflation.

I already have a Robinhood account but glad you’re once again resorting to sarcasm because you have no response.

Thread Information