Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already have a Robinhood account

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Snakebiy has gone from advocating for trickle down economics to laughing about Robinhood Accounts since he ran out of arguments to make

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like you got the stock market all figured out. You should open a RobinHood account asap.

Yeah that's specific. Good luck with that platform.

I think the middle class is under taxed but those rates seem excessive even to me.
    Middle Class? Middle class... What middle class?

Bottom 50 % income of the taxpayers in the US pay 3% of our Federal tax
    Top 50% income of the taxpayers in the US pay 97% of our Federal tax

Can you please explain to me where there is a middle class?

The joke is that people actually think they are in it. Both those who make a bunch of money and those who make very little, think they are in it. The top 1% are considered those with a net worth of about 12 million dollars. Im not there, but I still deserve to be taxed much more heavily than the "middle class". Even if it takes having to pay for some nonsense Wall, thats what I get for being a citizen in the US. I pay for things I dont want to pay for.

Red team totally does not get this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like you got the stock market all figured out. You should open a RobinHood account asap.
    I could be wrong and he might not want to say it, but IIRC, he works in the financial industry

Just a heads up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think the middle class is under taxed but those rates seem excessive even to me.
    Yet, the US had historical growth during that period, thus why it was called the Decade of Prosperity.

One could argue it was also coming off WWII, however, the government was the biggest employer during the war, and dumped money in like crazy into the economy at that time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could be wrong and he might not want to say it, but IIRC, he works in the financial industry

Just a heads up.
    If he thinks labor costs & taxes = market cap then that is sad

Yet, the US had historical growth during that period, thus why it was called the Decade of Prosperity.

One could argue it was also coming off WWII, however, the government was the biggest employer during the war, and dumped money in like crazy into the economy at that time.
    Didn't hurt that the US was the only winner of WWII

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soviets won pretty big too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You’re a stain generally, but those brackets are insane. Someone making 32k should not be paying 6,400 in taxes. The 30% at 100k and 50% at 260k thresholds are also insane.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re a stain generally, but those brackets are insane. Someone making 32k should not be paying 6,400 in taxes. The 30% at 100k and 50% at 260k thresholds are also insane.
    Makes sense when they had to pay for the war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he thinks labor costs & taxes = market cap then that is sad
    I don't think that's what he said. He said labor costs & taxes have an inference on the overall market value of a company. That's not unreasonable, and actually fairly easy to support.

I don't know about only winner, but it certainly didn't hurt the government dropped over 100% of the GDP in debt into the local economy (to pay for the war).

Obviously, it also didn't hurt that back then we had the currency pegged on gold, which meant there was a physical backing to the debt. Difficult to replicate now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes sense when they had to pay for the war.
    Very likely maybe but it sure as doesn’t make sense now. That sort of bracket would actually validate the impoverished trump narrative of being taxed too much and drive young professionals to the GOP if every dollar over 100k earned was taxed at nearly 50%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should also really point out that things like sales tax were generally smaller back then and about 1/3 of the US didn't have sales taxes at all. I also suspect city/state taxes were probably less of a burden.

Furthermore, Medicare didn't pan out until the 60s and Social Security started at 2% back then.

Those brackets certainly look way less appealing when you add up all the extra taxation that goes on top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see it. We all saw what happened in 2012 when the Rs tried running on a bland corporatist agenda.
    They lost to Obama who Trump would also have gotten curb stomped by except even by an even bigger margin? Not sure what your point here is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should also really point out that things like sales tax were generally smaller back then and about 1/3 of the US didn't have sales taxes at all. I also suspect city/state taxes were probably less of a burden.

Furthermore, Medicare didn't pan out until the 60s and Social Security started at 2% back then.

Those brackets certainly look way less appealing when you add up all the extra taxation that goes on top.
    I’d also be curious to see what property taxes looked like back then, if anything, but good points

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who knows how many write-offs for the poor we had back then too, you used to be able to write off credit card interest. But we have to lose those to pay for the tax cuts to the rich

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soviets won pretty big too
    but USSR lost 20M in the war and then Stalin killed another 20M, and the USSR was excluded from the world economy by USA.

1945 - 1975 is considered by Western countries as a Golden Age when rapidly increasing wealth was shared up and down the economic classes. The victors helped Germany and Japan rebuild after WWII, having learned how disastrous (rise of Hitler) the punishment was after WWI.

Then in early 1970s, spurred by godfather Lewis Powell, the oligarchy/VRWC/BigCorp got organized to influence politics, founded rightwing stink tanks to crank out propaganda, to suppress wages, bust unions, cut taxes on themselves, capture politicians and govt.

During the next 45 years, GAMEOVER for the non-oligarchy.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-22-2020 at 05:19 AM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They lost to Obama who Trump would also have gotten curb stomped by except even by an even bigger margin? Not sure what your point here is
    Their base had bad turnout in 2012. Romney won with centrist voters in 2012 but lost because of poor base turnout. Not saying Obama was a bad candidate but he was vulnerable in 2012. Slow economic recovery (not his fault but the average voter is too stupid to know that) and approval rating in the 40s right up until the election.

The GOP's only path forward where they avoid having to change their platform is doubling down on the Trump populism only with a candidate who looks more presidential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Those tax rates were an illusion. No one paid those rates. There were a million ways to avoid them. The average person was still paying 12-18% The tax code has changed since then.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    biggest pool of untapped voters is the youth vote, but im not sure theres a way to get them engaged tbh
    Make it a social media "challenge".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make it a social media "challenge".
    extend vote by mail to vote by tweet

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if the GOP splits with MAGA then MAGA will eventually beat the GOP and the GOP will fold into MAGA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still Trumps party. Hes got all the marbles. They will try to convince and bribe him to go in the background and stay a repug. Tough task

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the GOP splits with MAGA then MAGA will eventually beat the GOP and the GOP will fold into MAGA.
    See brexit party.

Similar thing will happen.

GOP will have to go more extreme or they be eaten alive

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will still be relevant. A 2 party system ensures they will always be around. They will unfortunately comeback stronger from this.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i've been thinking maga will grow and continue to be a threat.

but maybe it dies out. can trump really con those people for four more years while not being president?

i mean, maybe...

Thread Information