Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't do it... Don't give me hope.

On a more serious note, I'm not trusting this rumor right away. DeMar has already come out in the past to dismiss "insider rumors" that paint his stay or involvement with the Spurs in a negative way. Of course, where there's smoke, and all that jazz, but I'm still expecting a DeRozan tweet in a few hours with a few emojis and something like "smh who pays these guys to write that stuff" or "where do these guys get that stuff from" or something ambiguous like that.

E: LMAO it literally happened while I was writing the post . Expected, tbh. We'll see soon enough how much truth there is to all this...
    Also too, the fact that he always has to do some damage control is Durant level esque

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile,

My boy is ready to replace DeMar:

/Shameless plug

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the way he played in the bubble.
    Accepted his role, timely scoring. Good passing.

If senile Grandpa would not feature he and LMA in the 1990s offense he could continue to fit in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the way he played in the bubble.
    Accepted his role, timely scoring. Good passing.

If senile Grandpa would not feature he and LMA in the 1990s offense he could continue to fit in.
    I still have the same concerns that he came in with. Good scorer, but inefficient and shrinks when it matters most. Net negative on the defensive end.

DeMar was DeMar before Pop and he will be DeMar after Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have the same concerns that he came in with. Good scorer, but inefficient and shrinks when it matters most. Net negative on the defensive end.

Exactly.
    So needs to be role played as he was in the bubble.
    Not prior to bubble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dream scenario: DD opts out, SA and golden state complete LMA for Wiggins and #2, aaaaand we flip Wiggins to the attraction starved NYK for a future first rounder and maybe a smallish contract, if needed.
    I mean on one hand, dream scenarios are just that. They don't need to be realistic. On the other hand, if NYK wanted Wiggins right now, they and GS would probably already have a deal done. I also don't know how a dream scenario doesn't involve moving DMDR for value.

If you want 2, just deal with Wiggins. It'd cost at least 11 to get rid of him and get back a bad contract. I probably suggest going whole hog and trading Wiggins and Murray for Paul Wall. Wall's very well might be the worst contract in the NBA, but he's also a high-tier star/low-tier superstar when healthy. I don't know how appealing Wall for Wiggins and Murray would be, but it'd prevent the team from having to rebuild and leave them with an okay financial outlook.

Or they could just swing for the fences this year and go Gay, Mills and Murray for Wall. If they managed to put together a Wall/White/DeRozan/11/Aldridge lineup, it's probably top-four in the West. The PF drafted at 11 would definitely have to be a shooter, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also too, the fact that he always has to do some damage control is Durant level esque
    Yeah, that's the thing that irks me and why I wrote the original comment. He was so-very-obviously going to deny whatever rumor came his way, even when we're quite close to the date where he has to make a decision (what date is the deadline now, even?). I mean... If you're gonna stay, shut up and opt in; if you're gone, shut up and be gone. Why all this pretentious bull saying people don't have sources on you or whatever shtick? What does anyone gain from it? There's gonna be rumors either way and you haven't cleared up anything, it's not like he answered the Athletic article with an IG video wearing a "HE STAY" shirt or something like that. Weak from a weak guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thnk this is all his agent!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, why should he like San Antonio? Nobody wanted him here and that didn’t change. And he didn’t want to get traded to SA. In this stage of his career, I would look to go elsewhere and don’t care about the money, but winning. He’s good enough to be a 3rd man for a contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thnk this is all his agent!!
    That'd be funny. Taking the good cop/bad cop approach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notice there's no implicit denial. There's been too many rumors and it just makes sense anyway. It's not about the organization or probably even city per se, it's just logical that he wouldn't want to be here. No sentimental reasons, bad/ill-fitting roster, they appear disinterested in extending him and he's aging.

Let's hope he forces their hand because I don't trust them otherwise. The key is his opting in. If he doesn't, with their luck, Van Vleet will re-sign and the Pistons will sign him outright (if they don't draft Okongwu, they loom as a Poeltl offer sheet team too). If he opts in, there's the possibility of working the him + 11 for 7 angle, among other options.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    dude lived in a nice ass city where it was cold as to be traded to bum ass san antonio where its 100 degrees in October can you really blame him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spend a couple years in New York, Charlotte, or Detroit and he’ll be crying in bed holding pictures of Lowry and Keldon.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agent speak is worthless, but it probably is helpful in understanding a possible negotiating tactic. But I don’t think the agent realizes that most fans are ok with him leaving. Playing this card doesn’t help their cause.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even more Machiavellian would be if this was the spurs leaking it to establish motivation for his exit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another article says "anonymous agent"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar to Utah for Bogdanovic and a pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah don’t want nothin to do wit DDR

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wouldn't say that DeMar is inefficient, or at least he hasn't been with the Spurs, but that his favorite spots on the floor are low - efficiency shots for most.

So, basically Tony Parker without a Tim Duncan & Manu Ginobili to playoff of & minimize his weaknesses.

Well, those two guys aren't on the Spurs anymore, the definitely don't exist in today's NBA & the Spurs have too many young guards/swing men they hope can partially replace his offensive production.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't say that DeMar is inefficient, or at least he hasn't been with the Spurs, but that his favorite spots on the floor are low - efficiency shots for most.

So, basically Tony Parker without a Tim Duncan & Manu Ginobili to playoff of & minimize his weaknesses.

Well, those two guys aren't on the Spurs anymore, the definitely don't exist in today's NBA & the Spurs have too many young guards/swing men they hope can partially replace his offensive production.
    I'd argue that Tony was better getting to the rim and finishing early in his career, and later he at least developed a serviceable three-point shot (even if he didn't use it a whole lot). Tony knew when to shoot from range, and hit a lot of big 3-balls even if he wasn't a volume shooter.

The same can't be said for DeMar. He has a great mid-range game...but it mostly consists of difficult shots that "efficient" players would save for a last-case scenario.

The only other thing that DeMar has going for him is his ability to get to the free-throw line, but as we know that can't always be counted on...especially in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Dex; 10-21-2020 at 06:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I like Derozan’s game more than most and agree like others have suggested that his “bubble” play - Offensively - is the best we can hope for going forward.

My biggest concerns though stem from Miami’s bubble and playoff success - and as a result the offensive similarities between Butler and Derozan’s game and utilisation of such for our Spurs team.

The Spurs Key BTS personnel may feel they are closer to contending than most media/fans/peers would lead you to believe, with Derozan leading the attack surrounded by great shooters and 3 and D role players.

This, needless to say would be a huge mistake but it’s closer to reality than many would like to admit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd argue that Tony was better getting to the rim and finishing early in his career, and later he at least developed a serviceable three-point shot (even if he didn't use it a whole lot). Tony knew when to shoot from range, and hit a lot of big 3-balls even if he wasn't a volume shooter.

The same can't be said for DeMar.

The only other thing that DeMar has going for him is his ability to get to the free-throw line, but as we know that can't always be counted on...especially in the playoffs.
    Right, Tony was special with his first step & ability to get into the paint. And he had insane touch, that signature floater & spin move that were nearly unstoppable at his best.

DeMar's best move(s) seems to be that fadeaway & step back jumper(s) at the elbow area.

I'd be more than happy with moving him & acquiring a SF/PF or PF/C prospect that can grow with the young guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I like Derozan’s game more than most and agree like others have suggested that his “bubble” play - Offensively - is the best we can hope for going forward.

My biggest concerns though stem from Miami’s bubble and playoff success - and as a result the offensive similarities between Butler and Derozan’s game and utilisation of such for our Spurs team.

The Spurs Key BTS personnel may feel they are closer to contending than most media/fans/peers would lead you to believe, with Derozan leading the attack surrounded by great shooters and 3 and D role players.

This, needless to say would be a huge mistake but it’s closer to reality than many would like to admit.
    That might be true, but would mean that the team needs to acquire a two - way, rim running PF/C & a volume, three - point shooting wing to better compliment him.

Which would mean he'd (hopefully) slide back to SG full-time & then would really obstruct the playing time & growth of Johnson, Walker IV, White and/or Murray.

Plus, he's no where near the defensive stalwart that Butler has been his entire career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This supports the ATL insider info that his agent is telling teams (contenders) that he is going to opt out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That might be true, but would mean that the team needs to acquire a two - way, rim running PF/C & a volume, three - point shooting wing to better compliment him.

Which would mean he'd (hopefully) slide back to SG full-time & then would really obstruct the playing time & growth of Johnson, Walker IV, White and/or Murray.

Plus, he's no where near the defensive stalwart that Butler has been his entire career.
    Without question and the dissimilarities with mental toughness, playing through contact w/o a whistle etc.

I’m not necessarily saying the Spurs are going for a 1 to 1 build like Miami, but it does give credence to the rumours of Spurs looking for that type of C in the draft- either through trade or pick #11.

Thread Information