Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    October 24, 2020

The NBA, which was the first pro league to suspend play amid the COVID-19 pandemic, made $1.5 billion less than it projected last season due to the pandemic and other factors, according to an Associated Press report.

The league shut down March 11, then returned to finish a shortened season at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex near Orlando.

That restricted access, all-inclusive bubble, which was run at an estimated cost of $200 million, was one of the factors that hit the NBA’s bottom line.

Other factors were the initial shutdown, the loss of 171 regular-season games, the lack of attendance for games in the bubble and China’s decision to not show games after an October tweet by former Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey in support of Hong Kong.

The league’s Board of Governors is currently meeting to discuss the start date for the 2020-21 season, potential fan attendance and possibly a shortened schedule., with a push to start the 2020-21 NBA season by Christmas apparently gaining momentum.

The Athletic reported Friday that the NBA is targeting a Dec. 22 start date and a 72-game regular season that would finish before the start of the 2021 Summer Olympics, which are set to begin on July 23 in Tokyo.

–Field Level Media

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other factor was the NBA got it in their heads that their customers were buying sanctimony rather than sports entertainment.

They ran the bubble pretty well, but that sanctimony alienated many fans rather than financially maximizing a locked down population starved for sports, normalcy, and unity.

Get a clue Silver: sports have unified this country for decades by simply allowing people of all backgrounds to get together and compete at something they all enjoy. Get back to that.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not going to get involved in the causes. There will be enough -slinging from both sides without my input.

The league and the union are going to try to smooth this out, so that it doesn't hit the salary cap (BRI) the way it normally would. But it's got to have an effect on salary cap for at least several years. I started to make a thread about it a while back. The teams that handle personnel well for the next couple of years will have a leg up on the rest. It should be a factor in all draft/FA decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next year won’t be much better. They were going to try to wait until MLK day, so they could have fans back in the arenas, but it doesn’t look like that’s a player, which is why they want to start earlier, and get those lucrative Christmas games played, and do 70-72 games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah see zero chances of them playing in December.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other factor was the NBA got it in their heads that their customers were buying sanctimony rather than sports entertainment.

They ran the bubble pretty well, but that sanctimony alienated many fans rather than financially maximizing a locked down population starved for sports, normalcy, and unity.

Get a clue Silver: sports have unified this country for decades by simply allowing people of all backgrounds to get together and compete at something they all enjoy. Get back to that.
    Don't buy that tbh, the NBA knows its fan base pretty well. I highly doubt they lost "many" fans because of words on a court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah see zero chances of them playing in December.
    Yeah, that's an incredibly tight timeline. The draft is November 18th, the draft, free agency, training camp, and the pre-season would have to happen in like 32 days.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's an incredibly tight timeline. The draft is November 18th, the draft, free agency, training camp, and the pre-season would have to happen in like 32 days.
    Plus you'd have to start quarantining again considering this nation is probably going to be getting completely raped by COVID again by Christmas. No way we're not going to ramp up big after Thanksgiving with everyone meeting indoors in large groups.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not going to get involved in the causes. There will be enough -slinging from both sides without my input.

The league and the union are going to try to smooth this out, so that it doesn't hit the salary cap (BRI) the way it normally would. But it's got to have an effect on salary cap for at least several years. I started to make a thread about it a while back. The teams that handle personnel well for the next couple of years will have a leg up on the rest. It should be a factor in all draft/FA decisions.
    Agreed. Salary cap flexibility is going to be much more important in the next 2-3 years than it has been for a while. I bet the tax formula gets adjusted at some point too, otherwise at least a few owners will be in some huge trouble. Especially because it's all but guaranteed that revenue won't recover to 2019 levels in 2021. Perhaps not ever.

In fact, one thing the owners might push for in the next CBA is to have all salaries defined in terms of percentages of the cap rather than dollars. I think this would 100% cause a another lockout, but the owners seem to always have all the leverage in these situations. Probably because they can last a year without income much more easily than most members of the NBPA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus you'd have to start quarantining again considering this nation is probably going to be getting completely raped by COVID again by Christmas. No way we're not going to ramp up big after Thanksgiving with everyone meeting indoors in large groups.
    Likelihood is vaccines start going out by Christmas. It will take a few months though to really get them out to the public. 4-6 months is my guess.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Likelihood is vaccines start going out by Christmas. It will take a few months though to really get them out to the public. 4-6 months is my guess.
    optimism

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The vaccine still takes a month and a half to be effective and god if the first batch goes to pro athletes instead of doctors, nurses, and EMTs and then the next batch doesn't go to people 65+ with risk factors and / or lots of exposure (eg through working). And a vaccine by Christmas is a real stretch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could be off by a few months but I don't think I'm way off. But maybe a little optimistic, yes.

The vaccine still takes a month and a half to be effective and god if the first batch goes to pro athletes instead of doctors, nurses, and EMTs and then the next batch doesn't go to people 65+ with risk factors and / or lots of exposure (eg through working). And a vaccine by Christmas is a real stretch.
    I don't think a vaccine by Christmas is a stretch but that doesn't mean it's a guarantee either. But yes you're correct I was just throwing that out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A December start is not going to happen. Yesterday was the biggest day of infections yet and things are not improving with all the rallies and crowds of people. If they try to push it before a vaccine is working they'll be refunding billions of dollars of tickets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't buy that tbh, the NBA knows its fan base pretty well. I highly doubt they lost "many" fans because of words on a court.
    Based on what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, the NBA is a joke anyhow, about at the level of Storage Wars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The post I responded to claimed that the NBA alienated their fan base due to political message, there isn't any evidence of that. In fact ratings seem to be down in other sports, as well as revenue.

Ratings were down , in the NBA, for a number of reasons including random start times and more compe ion with other big live events. In fact ratings seem to be down in other sports, as well as revenue.

Revenue is down because hundreds of games had to be cancelled and remaining games had to be played without fans, that alone is 40% of revenue down the drain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They dealt with a similar situation after the 2011 lockout, didn't they?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They dealt with a similar situation after the 2011 lockout, didn't they?
    I think the draft was as usual. Them pushing back the draft actually makes this time seem much closer. If they did not move the draft back they could still do FA starting on the 9th and have it after the draft as usual. Since they waited on the draft if they want FA to start after then cant start till the 10th. I am thinking there will be no waiting period this year though. I bet as soon as a player agrees to a deal he will be able to sign since they will have the "cap" for next year already figured out.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy to see it. They sold out to communists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the draft was as usual. Them pushing back the draft actually makes this time seem much closer. If they did not move the draft back they could still do FA starting on the 9th and have it after the draft as usual. Since they waited on the draft if they want FA to start after then cant start till the 10th. I am thinking there will be no waiting period this year though. I bet as soon as a player agrees to a deal he will be able to sign since they will have the "cap" for next year already figured out.
    Good point. Fitting in draft + free agency + training camp + preseason in essentially 5-6 weeks would be...crazy to say the least.

Granted, I feel like free agency is stretched out longer than it needs to be, and preseason could stand to be shortened...so that's the low-hanging fruit in my opinion.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Happy to see it. They sold out to communists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. Fitting in draft + free agency + training camp + preseason in essentially 5-6 weeks would be...crazy to say the least.

Granted, I feel like free agency is stretched out longer than it needs to be, and preseason could stand to be shortened...so that's the low-hanging fruit in my opinion.
    Draft takes a day, free agents can sign as quickly or slowly as they want, and I’m guessing no pre-season.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like numbers. I don't think the $1.5 billion "short fall" is accurate and its probably much worse. EVERY TEAM was put $46.9 million in the red on average. Last years soft cap was $115 million. Lets lop that off the WOKE PLAYA's Salaray, they are 100% responsible for the BLM implosion,(also didn't the whole lock down start with that moron Rudy Gobert?). If the PLAYA's had any loyalty they would all take a pay cut and drop that cap to $68.1 million next year JUST TO INSURE THEY HAVE A FUTURE.

We all know Da WOKE PLAYA's and "Bout Dat" and will Cut off their noses to spite their faces and feet EN LED to the "OWNERS"(member that woke controversy lol) to EAT another $50 million to KEEP THEM IN the PENTHOUSE.......

If the NBPA was a REAL UNION they'd already have convened an Emergency Meeting and been talking to The League. If Adam Silver weren't a Puppet of the CCP he'd be demanding they do it. If POOP was a WISE, Intelligent and "IN WE TRUSTLY" he'd be piping up about it.

Can't wait.

They should all just say THE MASK, WE SELLING TICKETS.... Come ONE COM ALL to the Arena.......

but they spent the ENTIRE BUBBLE doing REMOTE interviews with ING MASKED ON...............

OH !!! its like Christmas MOURNING for me.........

Almost everything you post is rooted in your inability to rationalize and view things without extreme political bias.

Half the you spew is born out that alternative view. Anyone living in an extreme political perspective can find references that speak to what they want to hear.

I can dig up an article that speaks to the benefit of eating feces. Can I count on you to eat or would you dismiss it because it’s not what you want to hear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The billion with a b and prolly under stated.
    I do watch the spurs but that’s about it

Thread Information