San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mason Jones

College: Arkansas
    Position: SG
    Combine Height: 6-foot-6 - Source
    Weight: Roughly 200 lbs - Body fat down to 6.9% at the NBA Combine - Source
    Combine Wingspan: 6-foot-8 - Source

Why: His offensive feel is unlike any other prospect. His physical measurements match Devin Booker's. He will relentlessly attack the basket with great speed and deceleration and gets fouled on frequently because opposing teams don't know how to stop him. His skill level is high for someone who started basketball at a very late age -- his dribbling isn't fancy, it's effective - similar to Steve Nash. Oh, and he also says he models his game after Manu Ginobili.

Why Not: Defense is not his strong suit. Defensive principles need work.

Spurs Fit: If the Spurs draft him, they obtain an engine for their offense and we will no longer see our players pass the ball like a hot potato because they're afraid to score. Mason is a top flight scorer and was born for today's league.

NBA Comparison - Ceiling: Luka Doncic / James Harden

NBA Comparison - Floor: Eric Gordon

Statistics
    Scouting Video
    Interview

The thread had to be made.

I have a strong feeling we'll be drafting him. I am the captain of this ship!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you are overestimating his floor and ceiling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mean in the first round? Or the second?

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that is indeed his floor and ceiling... does that make put him in the top 10?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mean in the first round? Or the second?
    Second. Though I probably can see him moving up in the late 1st or early second round. We'd need to trade for a late pick, probably. Or fingers crossed, he'll just fall into our laps with our current second round pick.

If that is indeed his floor and ceiling... does that make put him in the top 10?
    Mason isn't rising to the top 10. But he is one of those picks where everyone will wonder why they let him slip. The NBA hasn't seen a 2nd round pick become an all-star lately. Mason will be that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the work Dejounte. Thread was almost if timvp created it himself. You using a burner account?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other, less optimistic, reviews raise concerns about his poor athleticism translating. Being 22 years old may hurt his stock ss well. But I’m tired of drafting players so young and green that by the time they’re developed they move onto another team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other, less optimistic, reviews raise concerns about his poor athleticism translating. Being 22 years old may hurt his stock ss well. But I’m tired of drafting players so young and green that by the time they’re developed they move onto another team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, I looked at this @DSamangy 's model,
    https://twitter.com/DSamangy/status/1318279497729396737

He's comparing Luka's Euroleague stat's at 19, vs men, to Mason Jones vs NCAA at 22. I wouldn't put too much stock into it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, I looked at this @DSamangy 's model,
    https://twitter.com/DSamangy/status/1318279497729396737

He's comparing Luka's Euroleague stat's at 19, vs men, to Mason Jones vs NCAA at 22. I wouldn't put too much stock into it...
    Meh, people put too much emphasis on age. When there's evident positive growth trajectory (year to year) in a player AND if that player started basketball late, age is irrelevant. See: Derrick White, Tim Duncan.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without PG vision and instincts , his iso scoring skills would be useless. He would be used mainly as a spot up shooter and defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without PG vision and instincts , his iso scoring skills would be useless. He would be used mainly as a spot up shooter and defender.
    He's got great passing skills. Watch the video in the initial post. Some of the passes were great timing and vision. Arkansas deployed a guard heavy offense with plenty of secondary ball handlers--similar to the Spurs. Mason's job wasn't to distribute only, hence it's not reflected in his assists. Watch his tape and you'll see some eye popping passes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got great passing skills. Watch the video in the initial post. Some of the passes were great timing and vision. Arkansas deployed a guard heavy offense with plenty of secondary ball handlers--similar to the Spurs. Mason's job wasn't to distribute only, hence it's not reflected in his assists. Watch his tape and you'll see some eye popping passes.

Basing it on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, the video highlighted a couple risky passes that didn't work out. Not sure how this indicates bad overall passing and vision. Manu had some terrible passes in his career where if they were singled out, he would look like he didn't belong in the league.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, the video highlighted a couple risky passes that didn't work out. Not sure how this indicates bad overall passing and vision. Manu had some terrible passes in his career where if they were singled out, he would look like he didn't belong in the league.
    How is it different from your argument that he has great passing skills based on some great passes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it different from your argument that he has great passing skills based on some great passes.
    Because it's important how those passes were executed, with creativity, vision, and timing, versus simple passes out on the perimeter and the player still ends up turning it over. Mason's turnovers comes from a great idea in his mind, but it just didn't come to fruition. Contrast with DJ where I'm not sure I've seen a brilliant pass, and most of his turnovers (outside of being pick pocketed from poor ball handling) on his passes were straight up simple passes.

Plus, I'd rather work with a player who has great ISO skill and teach him to pass (not that Mason doesn't know how) rather than work with a limited spot up shooter and hope he can learn to dribble, make space from the defender, and so forth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've never seen Murray perform a pass like this. If Murray is the baseline, Mason is a couple notches above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mason is a maestro at drawing fouls, almost Hardenesque. Great video displaying that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Mason Jones and Isaiah Joe! I love their upside! would love both on the Spurs...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he even run the pick and roll?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he even run the pick and roll?
    He can shoot. He can drive. I don't see why not?

Thread Information