Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. It's just a disjointed unit. Murray and his inability to create or run the offense just magnified it this year.
    Somehow we have become the opposite of the 2014 team.

Went from having a defensive PF with a PG who could score and run offense and a SG who could create and shoot threes....to an offensive PF with a PG who can't pass or shoot and a SG who is allergic to defense and the threeball. Oh, and our bench which can't defend and, for the most part, can't shoot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    between 2012-2015 it was between him, Blake Griffin, and Kevin Love. I don't think anything was a consensus and all had legit arguments. All 3 were really good at this time and in their respective physical primes. Looking back I would probably take Aldridge knowing what I know now. He was just the more consistent offensive and defensive threat while Love and Griffin were ridiculous athletes. Love with the rebounding and Griffin with the alley oops.
    They were generally regarded as better in terms of consensus rankings, though Aldridge was voted tied for 1st with Griffin, with 25% of the vote, for best PF in the '14-'15 GM survey.

https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/topi...nba-gm-survey/

Peak: Love (athletically deficient)
    Prime: Griffin
    Longevity: Aldridge

He was always going age best though given that he wasn't athletically reliant and possessed measurements that would allow him to transition to C.

LMA was the only defender in the bunch. Tips the scales to him, IMO.
    Griffin was probably better in space, but it's always difficult comparing C/hybrid bigs with true PF's. Griffin and Love didn't have the length to be adequate rim protectors and the latter didn't have the lateral quicks to defend in space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember him throwing up some big numbers against Timmy and the Spurs. I always likened it a bit to Amar'e Stoudemire with the Suns. He'd put up big numbers only to have Timmy beat him.

I was pretty psyched when he became a Spur. I think his legacy here would be different if he wasn't walking in Duncan's huge shadow.
    He’s done some of his best work in silver and black. His best two FG% seasons were here, and his best defense was played here, IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember him throwing up some big numbers against Timmy and the Spurs. I always likened it a bit to Amar'e Stoudemire with the Suns. He'd put up big numbers only to have Timmy beat him.

I was pretty psyched when he became a Spur. I think his legacy here would be different if he wasn't walking in Duncan's huge shadow.
    He got hated on a lot here when the Spurs were winning back to back 60 plus win seasons. I always thought that was stupid because without him the Spurs don't reach 60 wins like they did. As good as Kawhi is the Spurs are not winning 60 with just having Kawhi and a bunch of role players. I also think Kawhi screwed things up by pulling his shenanigans and bolting. If he stayed the Spurs would have won atleast 1 le with LMA/Kawhi combo. Had the Spurs won a le with that combo I think people here would look at LMA differently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somehow we have become the opposite of the 2014 team.

Went from having a defensive PF with a PG who could score and run offense and a SG who could create and shoot threes....to an offensive PF with a PG who can't pass or shoot and a SG who is allergic to defense and the threeball. Oh, and our bench which can't defend and, for the most part, can't shoot.
    The Spurs created the blueprint for the modern game back in 2014, and for some reason we threw it in the trash. Even when Kawhi wanted to leave, the Spurs still had some pretty decent pieces to build around had they leveraged his trade for a couple of prospects who met requirements of the modern game, but now they have a group that is incredibly disjointed, and too many holes to fill to be compe ive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. I'd say he could be considered one of in the top 3 at any time. But, not the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think LMA is a HOFer. If he is then so is Antonio McDyess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think LMA is a HOFer. If he is then so is Antonio McDyess.
    McDyess had too many injuries to put up the career resume that LMA has. He’ll hit the 20K points mark this season. BBREF has him at about 50/50 in their tracker, but if he plays 3/4 more seasons, and hits maybe 24K points, he’ll probably get in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    problem is Aldridge never played here with a good PG. His PGs were over the hill Tony Parker, 50 Mills, Dejounte Murray and Derrick White in his 1st NBA season which was the best PG he ever played with on the Spurs. Meanwhile Love played with Kyrie and LeBron, Blake with prime CP3

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him or Blake, Griffin is more reliant on Paul though being a rim rolling big. LA doesn't need a good pick and roll point guard just some sets to get him the ball in the post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    problem is Aldridge never played here with a good PG. His PGs were over the hill Tony Parker, 50 Mills, Dejounte Murray and Derrick White in his 1st NBA season which was the best PG he ever played with on the Spurs. Meanwhile Love played with Kyrie and LeBron, Blake with prime CP3
    I’ll take “who is Damien Lillard?” For 500, Alex...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok but what about Damian

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, the quote said "Aldridge never played here with a good PG." Still, Lillard is definitely on the level of Kyrie and CP3 so if that's your point then it is valid.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , LMA beasted his first year here playing WITH Tim.

He was also better playing beside Damian Lillard. It's almost like he needs... nah.

Aldridge was never first team All-NBA. That selection is made real-time, and not in retrospect (like this thread), and it's not made solely by fans like the All Star selections were until recently. It's not infallible, but it's kind of hard making the case for him ever being the best in the league at his position when the All NBA selection panel put him on the third team three times, and second team two times. By comparison, TD was first team All-NBA something like 10 times.

Thread Information