Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This was pretty good. I didn't really like the main character at first but she grew on me pretty quickly.
    Decent story and the cast is generally great. Different enough from anything else that it seems new.

7.5/10

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10/10 - very well done. One of my favorite Netflix shows in recent memory.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My old lady and I just started watching it. Good so far

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Concur, good one

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    I enjoyed it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Yep it was a good one tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A bit creepy early with the sexual references with the 9 year old. The chess part was ok.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A bit creepy early with the sexual references with the 9 year old. The chess part was ok.
    That's how you broke the series down?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's how you broke the series down?
    So far, not done yet.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I got the same feel. Compelling enough but weird dynamic between main kid, second black kid, chess guy and that smoking outsider dude.

It’s one episode though so hopefully they got their kink out of the way and it’s all good from here.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I got the same feel. Compelling enough but weird dynamic between main kid, second black kid, chess guy and that smoking outsider dude.

It’s one episode though so hopefully they got their kink out of the way and it’s all good from here.
    I feel like they'll go to the same well as others, she has to start smoking, has to have a Gay affair, has to become a drug addict (even moreso). Good thing it's not a seasonal type series, no telling what magical they'd pull to keep it going but so far it's ok.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The last 2 episodes got so terrible and cringey. They went all in on feminism.

All of a sudden it turned into a lifetime show.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I liked it.

Basically a social invalid due to cir stance but brilliant in a game finds her place.
    But because the game is respected and her eyes are so far apart... pretty cool deal.
    The facials shots back and forth at the chess table were good. None of the other characters were given much of a chance imo. Just centered around her so we did not get to feel much contrast through all the fleeting non established secondary parts. Her "piano mom" could have supplied more of a contrast. Ahh I dont know. It was captivating just by way of the quest of a very flawed personality I guess.

Note: I almost stopped watching the last episode with the Kentucky reporter making a comeback bid. If she ended up with him, instead of playing chess with old men in Russia... then I would have been severely disappointed. I seriously stopped it and thought holy , I just watched a fckn romance.

Oh and Reck, it gave a big nod to communism (derp take) as well so you go that going on too. God forbid a feminist movie in these times, Wonder Women had already filled those cups. She was as wild as any male could possibly be so it was horrifying. Oh she also got some decent counseling by a black woman who went total afro instead of attempting to straighten her hair, so that part was as well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Wife and I just wrapped up the series last night. Really great show. 9.43875/10

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Wife and I just wrapped up the series last night. Really great show. 9.43875/10
    My wife watched it per my request and really liked it.
    And we really have very different tastes.

Name
    Dick
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Finally got around to this one. It was aight, but incredibly overhyped.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    I really enjoyed it. They made a show about chess entertaining. Chess is a fun game to play, but is quite boring of you are just watching it, unless you are a chess nerd. Kudos for making it a good watch.

I actually liked the main character. What I didn't like was the janitor dying before she could go back and see him one last time......but I guess that added one more negative aspect to her life's struggle

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I actually liked the main character. What I didn't like was the janitor dying before she could go back and see him one last time......but I guess that added one more negative aspect to her life's struggle
    I thought he'd play a bigger role but he literally got the short end of the stick. Chick didn't even bother to get his 10 dollars back.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    watched it with the wife a few weeks ago. i enjoyed it. she didnt like it as much because it did get pretty jargon-y with the chess talk. she thought the actual chess would be more of the backdrop than the main story.

wife doesnt play/understand chess so it was kinda like hearing sci-fi mumbo jumbo talk to her

the main thing that bothered me was opponents offering draws when they had clearly lost. that never happens.

i think it was a good show but im also glad it was just a miniseries and not something that we were going to get several seasons of. i thought it would have been more interesting if they used actual historical players on the era and just planted the fictional beth harmon in there, instead of making all the players fictional (borgov, watts, etc), or at least just replace borgov with botvinnik/karpov (us champ around that era would have been fischer, and i dont think you could in good faith portray him in this show. maybe larry evans)
    Last edited by spurraider21; 03-11-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Thread Information