Page 203 of 363 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,075 of 9051
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people should vote out these demagogues...
    The demogogues are beloved. Worshipped even. Fealty to Trump is their bona fides. What if they're not voted out?

The next coup attempt might be successful. Four years of Senate obstruction, disinformation, Democratic inep ude and gerrymandering in GOP majority states could make it even more likely.

I don't like not seating elected representatives, but doing nothing also seems like a really bad idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They shouldn't expel anybody for it, IMO. There's a point where this touches on the 1st Amendment. But the dems should campaign on this.
    I agree. But I also have doubts there will be any electoral solution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The demogogues are beloved. Worshipped even. Fealty to Trump is their bona fides. What if they're not voted out?

The next coup attempt might be successful. Four years of Senate obstruction, disinformation, Democratic inep ude and gerrymandering in GOP majority states could make it even more likely.

I don't like not seating elected representatives, but doing nothing also seems like a really bad idea.
    The problem is that anything that comes directly from the Dems side will look like retaliation, and there's a base fairly inflamed. In a way, I think it's playing into their hands. If there's anything well oiled in the Dennison playbook is playing victim.

What needs to happen is running Ross Perot type of candidates in their races, highlight the demagoguery, bring up McCain, etc... need to prop up that alternative to Trumpism which we all know exists in the GOP.

The fealty to Trump is valuable for them right now because is expedient to them. He's the kingmaker right now, and in the odd case he was successful with this coup you didn't want to make the dictator's enemy list.

But, I think Dennison free TV/Interweb time will be up pretty soon, and if he doesn't get as much reach, we'll see what the impact is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that anything that comes directly from the Dems side will look like retaliation, and there's a base fairly inflamed. In a way, I think it's playing into their hands. If there's anything well oiled in the Dennison playbook is playing victim.

What needs to happen is running Ross Perot type of candidates in their races, highlight the demagoguery, bring up McCain, etc... need to prop up that alternative to Trumpism which we all know exists in the GOP.

The fealty to Trump is valuable for them right now because is expedient to them. He's the kingmaker right now, and in the odd case he was successful with this coup you didn't want to make the dictator's enemy list.

But, I think Dennison free TV/Interweb time will be up pretty soon, and if he doesn't get as much reach, we'll see what the impact is.
    I think there's a possible political solution to the Trumpian threat, but it requires the Dems winning the Senate and going big on goodies for regular people. I can see the first thing happening but I can't see the Dems doing the second.

Shorter: if the Dems don't get the people strongly on their side inside of four years, we might had our last free election in the USA as presently cons uted. The GOP will to power already relies on anti-democratic aims and means. It's not going to put itself back in the cage.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-12-2020 at 02:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there's a possible political solution to the Trumpian threat, but it requires the Dems winning the Senate and going big on goodies for regular people. I can see the first thing happening but I can't see the Dems doing the second.

Shorter: if the Dems don't get the people strongly on their side inside of four years, we might had our last free election in the USA as presently cons uted. The GOP will to power already relies on anti-democratic aims and means. It's not going to put itself back in the cage.
    Any type of coup will require the military, IMO. At least we know the judiciary still applies the law. Frankly, I don't see it.

That said, there's some elements that came out of the closet during Trumpism that will need to be put back in, be it through social shaming, or whatever else works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    O. I was busy all day. China won? You seem excited, congrats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    O. I was busy all day. China won? You seem excited, congrats.
    Yep, along with Dominion, The big media, the Big tech, Chavez, Iran, DOJ, the FBI, and corrupt, rep governors and judges (including SCOTUS ones).

Mission accomplished: operation "steal the election" is a success. That was too easy tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That gif never stops being funny, even better with a crying #DiaperDon
    He looks like Chuck McGill

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Germany before 1933, jurist Carl Schmitt urged the republic to outlaw two dangerous parties, the Communist and the Nazis. The Weimar Republic did neither and was taken over from within by the Nazis.

The situation is somewhat analogous now. One of two major parties has essentially abandoned democratic norms by supporting Trump's attempted judicial coup. If they face no adverse political consequence for doing so they'll almost surely try to do it again.

Seems to me the question is, how does one protect democracy from a fascist party (i.e., the GOP) without falling afoul of normative democracy in the process? Refusing to seat or otherwise expelling 106 duly elected members of the US House would be construed as disenfranchisement, and the incoming administration would be obliged to deal harshly with any resulting civil disorder. But not doing so could portend the end of democracy in the USA.

Do you outlaw the Republican Party? Make Reps who signed a bad amicus brief swear an pledge not to discredit or undermine elections in the future? It's not easy to see how to stop fascism from taking power without resembling it in certain ways.
    tolerating the intolerant is not a solution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I had in the back of my mind, but that usually leads to more or less irrelevant philosophical squabbles about what intolerance is and which side has more of it. The more pertinent question for me is practical, not philosophical. How does democracy protect itself from an anti-democratic political party, without wrecking democracy?

Just wait 'til the next election is a naive slogan, given twenty years of Republican gerrymandering, voter suppression and the Electoral College -- plus Trump's brazen attempt to steal this election in court, which was supported by 90%+ of the GOP.

Maybe El Nono's right that social opprobrium and demagoguing fascist Republicans will suffice, I have a hard time seeing it.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-12-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Banned
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he lost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in a landslide

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    an historic landslide

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    an historic landslide
    Biden with the biggest electoral margin since Reagan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden with the biggest electoral margin since Reagan
    the likes of which we've never seen

biden won big time, fairly. i know it, you know it, and everyone knows it

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the new plan, derp?

Step up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I had in the back of my mind, but that usually leads to more or less irrelevant philosophical squabbles about what intolerance is and which side has more of it. The more pertinent question for me is practical, not philosophical. How does democracy protect itself from an anti-democratic political party, without wrecking democracy?

Just wait 'til the next election is a naive slogan, given twenty years of Republican gerrymandering, voter suppression and the Electoral College -- plus Trump's brazen attempt to steal this election in court, which was supported by 90%+ of the GOP.

Maybe El Nono's right that social opprobrium and demagoguing fascist Republicans will suffice, I have a hard time seeing it.

The only real solution is to prosecute Trump for his crimes asap. This will take trumps platform away and like an obedient cult

they will be lost when Trump is prosecuted and loses his ability to spew bull for a solid two years or more-

this will calm the “fever” of idiots like hater/derp/dmc/qhris/tsa/

once dear leader is put in a jumpsuit and treated like the criminal he truly is

the cult will eventually wake up from their spell and the business of repairing the damage and strengthening the loopholes that allowed trump to get away with his crimes for years can also be plugged.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

The Arizona Republican Party might now outrank the Florida Democratic Party in terms of most incompetent state party operation. The AZ GOP has gone full MAGA in a state with only a small rural population and a large suburbanite population that's historically favored more vanilla Republicans.

Thread Information