Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count

Didn't think it was even a yellow card in real time.
    But then they zoom in on a e nicking a flopper's sock and it's a red.

My apologies for this being MLS sheeot; but I thought it was interesting.
    It's Nani anyhow.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    es up right to the ankle of the rival, textbook red card. Maybe you can consider the fact he touched the ball first and settle it with a yellow, but the red card is perfectly understandable. I don't know what the the commentators are on.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Unless Nani can defy the laws of physics, exactly how was he supposed to stop his forward momentum halfway through a sliding tackle to prevent contact?

That was just follow through and natural motion. Tackles like this happen literally every game and it always comes down to if the player cleared the ball first, which Nani clearly did.

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    A yellow (at most) and move on.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    There was no intent from Nani, he wanted to go for the ball, but if you replay it in very slow motion, you can see the referee was right

As DAF86 said that's the rule and it's a textbook red card

but , only one camera angle? between this and the election count cluster America is losing its lipstick

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    es up right to the ankle of the rival, textbook red card. Maybe you can consider the fact he touched the ball first and settle it with a yellow, but the red card is perfectly understandable. I don't know what the the commentators are on.
    I consider whether it was truly violent conduct as the law states. A nick on a player looking to draw the card does not rise to that level for me. Some refs might interpret that as the send-off offense of serious foul play; but I believe that intent and severity must be factored in.

I'm not making excuses for Nani's poor play. He's a vet and should know better frankly. Most times a e to the ankle is worthy of the red. I think some refs even call that automatically; which is why he shouldn't be so stupid. But that is yellow card for unsporting behavior at worst for me.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Unless Nani can defy the laws of physics, exactly how was he supposed to stop his forward momentum halfway through a sliding tackle to prevent contact?

That was just follow through and natural motion. Tackles like this happen literally every game and it always comes down to if the player cleared the ball first, which Nani clearly did.
    As far as it being a foul / card offense goes, they changed the law a couple years back so that it doesn't matter if you get the ball first if you're being reckless. But I gave my explanation in the above post for why I don't see it as a red card offense nonetheless.

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    VAR is cancer

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    VAR is cancer
    It's done more harm than good, tbh.

They should make any PK that isn't called in real time an indirect kick instead. That's how bad it is.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    It's done more harm than good, tbh.
    That's just not true. For any bad call from VAR, I can name you 10 others that VAR got right. The thing is that the bad calls get a lot more press.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    That's just not true. For any bad call from VAR, I can name you 10 others that VAR got right. The thing is that the bad calls get a lot more press.
    Maybe if you're counting the confirmation calls, you can almost sort of make that case. But if we're counting non calls resulting in PK's upon review, then no. It's been disastrous. Too much ticky tack sh** getting called because a referee is trying to be averse to controversy or is otherwise just favoring a side in other cases.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Legit PK for WB overturned by VAR. A su ious PK call for MU not overturned by VAR.

1-0 MU victory.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Second goal. Another nick to a shinguard called for a PK.

If they're going to use VAR, they need to gauge real impact. This sh** is ruining the game.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    SMH.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Liverpool getting charity.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    No VAR, huh...

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    Could have been a foul
    Henderson was slick in his nefarious way

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Could have been a foul
    Henderson was slick in his nefarious way
    It's hard to tell the intensity.
    But H did appear to lower his shoulder and floor D.

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    My DAF86 got a nice fat serving of VAR tonight tbh

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    My DAF86 got a nice fat serving of VAR tonight tbh
    Hopefully this will quiet all the sports media in Argentina (all Bosta Juniors fans) about the Rivar story they made up, tbh. I guess they accomplished what they wanted.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    That's the second final River got robbed off being on, tbh. After 2017 vs Lanus. Still the best team in the Americas, tbh.

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    That's the second final River got robbed off being on, tbh. After 2017 vs Lanus. Still the best team in the Americas, tbh.
    Wouldn't have mattered, Grêmio would've still made easy work out of anyone that year tbh

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Wouldn't have mattered, Grêmio would've still made easy work out of anyone that year tbh
    Maybe, still doesn't change the fact that we got royally screwed that year, tbh.

Veteran
    Post Count
    I saw the second half, how did you get robbed last night? According to you those fine offsides should be called, suarez was diving all night, ref was giving out cheap yellows to everyone... Only bad call was the goalie / diaz crash at the end but even then they had to make the penalty, play another 30 minutes and go to a shootout assuming no more goals.. or did something happen in the first leg that I didn't see?

IMO the Montiel goal should have stood because it was slight and no advantage was gained but whenever we've argued these situations you have always sided with a strict interpretation of offside, what is different now?

Thread Information