My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

The Spurs announced that Mitch Johnson will fill the spot on Gregg Popovich's staff vacated by Tim Duncan and have elevated Darius Songaila to assistant coach
    1:21pm · 12 Nov 2020 · Twitter for Android

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who is Mitch Johnson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn it, Manu, stop biking with TD and be on the coaching staff.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    In August 2018, Darius Songaila became a quality assurance assistant in the video department for the San Antonio Spurs of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky as lead assistant? Hope Mitch and Darius do well.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky as lead assistant? Hope Mitch and Darius do well.

You remember when Pop got kicked out of a game, and they didn't seem sure who was actually in charge? They asked Pop after the game, and he said unequivocally that it was Tim. So if Mitch Johnson is taking the spot vacated by Tim, it would mean that he's the lead assistant. But Pop obviously can't bring in a guy from Austin and put him over Becky.

Songaila was one of those guys that the media people try to make into more than what he really is. He was pretty much a non-en y as a player, and I didn't even know he was in the Spurs organization. Now he's going to have a clipboard. At least Pop won't be threatened by him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In August 2018, Darius Songaila became a quality assurance assistant in the video department for the San Antonio Spurs of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
    That’s where Joe Prunty started out, and he’s been an interim HC already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the guy. He is the one who helped develop KJ into the star and savior of the franchise that he is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You remember when Pop got kicked out of a game, and they didn't seem sure who was actually in charge? They asked Pop after the game, and he said unequivocally that it was Tim. So if Mitch Johnson is taking the spot vacated by Tim, it would mean that he's the lead assistant. But Pop obviously can't bring in a guy from Austin and put him over Becky.

Songaila was one of those guys that the media people try to make into more than what he really is. He was pretty much a non-en y as a player, and I didn't even know he was in the Spurs organization. Now he's going to have a clipboard. At least Pop won't be threatened by him.
    I think Becky is the clear lead assistant now. Overall I wouldn't say this is the strongest group of assistants Pop has assembled.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA coaching 101: For obvious reasons, never have an all white staff. That's why it wasn't going to be someone like Brown (who'd also cost significantly more). Johnson can fill the role of token black (mixed, in his case)/third assistant for a relative pittance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tim and Becky were basically equals last year, both Tim and Becky were in charge of scouting different teams. If the team they faced was one of the teams they were assigned to scout then that person would be the head coach of that game if pop was ejected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I remember that game. Afterwards Pop explained the assistants rotate the lead scouting duties for each games and that game happened to be Duncan’s. It was a coincidence. Or. Pop CIAing into giving Timmy head coaching duties for the night incase he starts liking it. Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope that was just Poop being an ass and your right this is the worse group of assistants we have had in a long while no one will dare question any stupid move Pop makes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop again can not seem to make a woman a head assistant coach

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember that game. Afterwards Pop explained the assistants rotate the lead scouting duties for each games and that game happened to be Duncan’s. It was a coincidence. Or. Pop CIAing into giving Timmy head coaching duties for the night incase he starts liking it. Lol

I missed that explanation. I just saw him that night and he was all pissy and barked out that it had been Tim. I don't see how he could blame people for not knowing his lead assistant rotation.

I agree with some others that it's pretty obvious that Becky is the lead assistant now. I also agree with Spur e that this doesn't look like the strongest group of clipboards ever. As much as we give Pop, you can't deny that other organizations are eager to get their hands on people from the system.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only bright spot he will definitely help us tank one more year so cheers to him being a good soldier his final year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Becky is the clear lead assistant now. Overall I wouldn't say this is the strongest group of assistants Pop has assembled.
    Agree. I think the only reason Becky wasn't promoted to HC when Pop got thrown out of that game last season, was because Tim was on the coaching staff. Pop probably felt he didn't want Tim to feel slighted if he chose Becky over Tim as a interim HC that game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago Splitter just randomly tweeted about Pop just now. I wonder why???

Thread Information