My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just as an FYI you cannot have cap space and MLE
    My bad Room Exception.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs get the 2nd overall pick and keep the 11th pick, that's pretty damn good tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a specific one but it was reported that Brooklyn is interested in DeRozan
    They are focused on Jrue at the moment maybe if they whiff on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs do this deal (esp without any pics involved) -- I will have lost all respect for them and Brian Wright. And cements that our team will probably be stuck in mediocrity while we employ Wright.
    I wouldn't be so dramatic, but it would definitely cast a negative light on his GM duties. Trading a "star" for LA's trash and a box of cookies isn't exactly good GM'ing.

We've all been hyped that the Spurs are involved in so many trade rumors, but have little contemplation that they could make bad trades all around. Could be a long few seasons...

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FiveThirtyEight Raptor

DeMar DeRozan +2.8 Offense, -2.7 Defense, Net +0.1, WAR 3.3

Kyle Kuzma -2.1 Offense, -0.2 Defense, Net -0.5, WAR 0.5

Danny Green +0.9 Offense, +2.1 Defense, Net +3.0, WAR 6.6

Offense and Defense are compared against NBA average.
    Wins Above Replacement is compared against the 391st best player. Chimezie Metu is one of the 39 players tied for 391.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kuzma is a below average player that puts up empty stats. He couldn’t even be efficient surrounded by Lebron and Davis.

Hard pass.
    He’s also one of the worst defenders in the league. Hard ing pass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs get the 2nd overall pick and keep the 11th pick, that's pretty damn good tbh.
    I’m warming up to this a bit. And position themselves for another lottery pick next year, which should be the goal. Demar and LMA will help the team win enough games to not have a great pick in 2021.

Goal should be to identify the foundation for the next 5+ years. You have to look at each guy on the roster and think about how they fit in. It can’t just be about picking up pieces, it has to be about finding the critical pieces and getting future value for the rest.

1.) Get value for LMA/DDR/Gay/Mills. These guys will help you win more games, which they shouldn’t be doing now. Other teams place positive value on them, and you can get more value by taking on unwanted contracts (especially if forgoing 2021 flexibility)

2.) If bringing back guys like Kuzma/Green/Richardson/others that have been mentioned that are not viewed as long-term pieces, you can flip them back out to other teams for value. Lots of buyers, not many sellers.

3.) Identify the must haves in the draft and go get them. You have the chips to do it - solid vets + young guys.

4.) Identify your own younger guys that are must keeps, and ones that are nice to haves but could get value by trading (and also reset rookie scale contracts). Example I always point to is Murray. And if a team blows you away for White ... and I mean blows you away ... you can consider it if you’re comfortable with Murray long-term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you still a hard ing pass if they can flip him for low 1st? Although the man love between Pop and Kuzma at Team USA BB gives me pause.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Spurs get any great asset or pick for Derozan. The trade let’s the Spurs kick the tires on Kuzma for a year. Bring back a Spurs org guy to help the locker room and can sell the players on the org. Spurs can get out of both of them after one year and have cap space. Not a great trade, but it’s also not horrible. If Kuzma is terrible, he will help us in draft position.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing people also need to think about in these trade is we can only have 15 on the roster. We would have to either waive some of these players coming in or some of our current players if we are getting many more players then we send out. I think we have 3 open spots right now. Can get 4 more that I know in DDR/Potel/Lyles/Metu. these are people that could be cut at cheap prices. If DDR picks up his option then he would disappear from this list. We also have our first to fit in the 1st 3 picks. If we pick up another 1st then we would only have 1 open spot without losing someone from the second list. This would also limit us in FA though I dont know if there is anyone they are looking at in the open market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs do this trade thinking it makes the team a contender. But they're not a contender with DeRozan either, and he expects to be paid like a star. It would be a chess move, looking multiple moves ahead.

1. DeRozan's gone: more minutes for KJ and Walker to develop. Defense and spacing improve.
    2. Green is the shooter off the bench, so no reason to sign Forbes. Defense improves.
    3. Spurs are taking on no contracts beyond 2021. They have a ton of money to use after this season.
    4. Kuzma is easier to trade mid season than DeRozen due to his cheap expiring contract. Any team can easily trade for him, unlike DeRozan.
    5.#28 draft pick from Lakers could net another D White or KJ type of player, or be used in trade.
    6. Not taking on future salary from Taurean Prince, as they'd likely have to in a Brooklyn trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be so dramatic, but it would definitely cast a negative light on his GM duties. Trading a "star" for LA's trash and a box of cookies isn't exactly good GM'ing.

We've all been hyped that the Spurs are involved in so many trade rumors, but have little contemplation that they could make bad trades all around. Could be a long few seasons...

You're telling me, you would be ok with this trade as rumor'd? On top of all the other lousy trades/signings that have happened recently? His resume here hasn't been stellar...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're telling me, you would be ok with this trade as rumor'd? On top of all the other lousy trades/signings that have happened recently? His resume here hasn't been stellar...
    Nah, just that I'm not going to "lose all respect" for a first-year GM based on a bad deal. Besides, I don't think "no picks" being involved is realistic (way too obviously stupid), and as DeMurre pointed out, there's some positives to be had off this hypothetical trade. I still wouldn't do it, but it's not the kind of thing that would make me lose all hope.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can call Demar’s bluff. Where is he going to go that has space (i.e., cannot get a sign and trade at the very least, or opt-in and trade)?

- Hawks
    - Knicks
    - Pistons
    - Kings
    - Pelicans
    - Hornets

The only teams with any real space that could be of interest are Miami and Phoenix, and those are not max slots. Miami could create the space by moving Iggy, but that requires renouncing Dragic. Does swapping out Dragic for Demar improve chances? Phoenix would need to renounce Saric and the great Baynes. Demar-Booker is a huge improvement to Rubio.

Then next is Toronto, which also requires renouncing everyone.

Long story short, this isn’t a year where there is a massive amount of available cap space especially on teams that would draw free agents. Spurs will almost certainly have the opportunity to work through something with Demar and get him where he wants to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want no parts of Kuzma, but these are some excellent defensive sequences

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs do this trade thinking it makes the team a contender. But they're not a contender with DeRozan either, and he expects to be paid like a star. It would be a chess move, looking multiple moves ahead.

1. DeRozan's gone: more minutes for KJ and Walker to develop. Defense and spacing improve.
    2. Green is the shooter off the bench, so no reason to sign Forbes. Defense improves.
    3. Spurs are taking on no contracts beyond 2021. They have a ton of money to use after this season.
    4. Kuzma is easier to trade mid season than DeRozen due to his cheap expiring contract. Any team can easily trade for him, unlike DeRozan.
    5.#28 draft pick from Lakers could net another D White or KJ type of player, or be used in trade.
    6. Not taking on future salary from Taurean Prince, as they'd likely have to in a Brooklyn trade.
    -What's been report seems to be the framework of a trade an not an offer. I think Kuzma, KCP, Green and the 28th pick would be the actual offer. If that's the case, I think the Spurs do that deal.

-The Spurs liked Kuzma and would get a season of him to assess before RFA, more importantly, they get a first for DeMar which is decent return for a player who seems to be on his way out anyways.

-I think Green is unlikely to play for the Spurs again, I think the Spurs try and move him again for another first rounder. There's also the possibility of a trade including a third team (Dallas?) which could net the Spurs another first.

- I think Forbes is gone either way, I don't see minutes for him with Murray, White, Walker, KJ likely all getting big minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -What's been report seems to be the framework of a trade an not an offer. I think Kuzma, KCP, Green and the 28th pick would be the actual offer. If that's the case, I think the Spurs do that deal.

-The Spurs liked Kuzma and would get a season of him to assess before RFA, more importantly, they get a first for DeMar which is decent return for a player who seems to be on his way out anyways.

-I think Green is unlikely to play for the Spurs again, I think the Spurs try and move him again for another first rounder. There's also the possibility of a trade including a third team (Dallas?) which could net the Spurs another first.

- I think Forbes is gone either way, I don't see minutes for him with Murray, White, Walker, KJ likely all getting big minutes.
    You lost me at Forbes is gone either way. Unless someone throws more money at him, he is coming back. Pop still referred to him as a starter in the bubble. If they trade Mills, he is 100% coming back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You lost me at Forbes is gone either way. Unless someone throws more money at him, he is coming back. Pop still referred to him as a starter in the bubble. If they trade Mills, he is 100% coming back.
    I don't think I buy that. I they'll move on from him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK
    Five pages. Any chance this really happens?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Interesting...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ship him out already. Draft day can't come soon enough.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was Originally against the laker trade but now fuk it ... might as well take Danny green and Kuzma .. throw in Lakers 28th pick and I say let’s do it ...better than losing Derozan for nothing ... I’m okay with this being our core group next season ... hopefully we can trade Aldridge for #2 pick and hopefully we can get something for Patty and Rudy Gay...

Lonnie Walker
    Derrick White
    Keldon Johnson
    Dejounte Murray
    Jacob Poetl
    Luka Samanic
    Kyle Kuzma
    Danny Green

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was Originally against the laker trade but now fuk it ... might as well take Danny green and Kuzma .. throw in Lakers 28th pick and I say let’s do it ...better than losing Derozan for nothing ... I’m okay with this being our core group next season ... hopefully we can trade Aldridge for #2 pick and hopefully we can get something for Patty and Rudy Gay...

Lonnie Walker
    Derrick White
    Keldon Johnson
    Dejounte Murray
    Jacob Poetl
    Luka Samanic
    Kyle Kuzma
    Danny Green
    same here, if kuz and pop still have this man love relationship i can see him becoming a significantly better player in spurs. plus this late 1st which can give us another young prospect. it will be very hard to find a better return for ddr tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    same here, if kuz and pop still have this man love relationship i can see him becoming a significantly better player in spurs. plus this late 1st which can give us another young prospect. it will be very hard to find a better return for ddr tbh.
    total Kawhi return is Poetl, Kuzma, KCP and 2 1st round picks.

Thread Information