Page 182 of 435 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 4,526 to 4,550 of 10862
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    inflated cost of goods squeezing corporate profits? G M A F B

You know who's not hurting from inflation? Big business.

• A report from FactSet found that firms in the S&P 500 are on track for near-record high profit margins.
    • Corporate profits have been skyrocketing since the start of the pandemic, and margins keep getting fatter.
    • That is not what you'd expect to see from skyrocketing inflation, meaning inflation could be less of a problem than widely reported.

the companies in the S&P 500 are on track to post profit margins of 12.9% in the third quarter of this year,

this is the second-highest net profit margin for the index, following only the record-breaking 13.1% margins posted in the second quarter of this year.

Top executives have been well aware of their "pricing power" during this inflationary moment,

CEOs and CFOs of companies from PepsiCo to McCormick es have openly announced

likely price increases through the rest of this year, bolstering revenues even as costs increase.

"We've been very comfortable with our ability to pass on the increases that we've seen at this point,"

https://www.businessinsider.com/corp...rtages-2021-11

So people ing about the Fed, should be ing about extractive Capitalist greed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden/Dems the Keynesians

Biden's COVID-19 Relief Bill Created Millions Of Jobs

the American Rescue Plan — the $1.9 trillion spending bill passed by Democrats and signed into law by President Joe Biden in March — blunted some of the worst economic effects of COVID-19.

"There are many achievements to celebrate, from millions more jobs and higher wages to greater economic security and increased worker power,"

"And even better, we avoided the worst-case alternative: the weaker, slower recovery that was projected if the American Rescue Plan (ARP) had not passed, and deeper harm to those who've historically been left behind by past recoveries."

But after the American Rescue Plan went into effect, unemployment rates fell rapidly with the addition of more than 1.3 million jobs.

At present, the U.S. economy is rebounding roughly eight times faster than it did after 2008.

The American Rescue Plan has been especially crucial for younger and lower-income workers. Using data from the Atlanta Federal Reserve, the Roosevelt Ins ute found that workers aged 16 to 24 saw a 9.7 percent wage increase, while the bottom quarter of wage-earners saw a 5.1 percent increase — even when accounting for inflation.

https://www.nationalmemo.com/biden-economic-boom

The tax-evading oligarchy wants Biden + Dems gone, so their ATM, the Fed, will raise interest rates in 2022, in the middle of the mid-terms campaign, to kill 100Ks of jobs

https://www.nationalmemo.com/biden-economic-boom

" the U.S. economy is rebounding roughly eight times faster than it did after 2008."

The Repugs intentionally restricted the rebound to hurt Obama.

ing over their voters, increasing/maintaining their pain, was not in their calculation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn old Joe will be adding a million dead kids to his body count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn old Joe will be adding a million dead kids to his body count
    You want to reinvade Afghanistan?

Yes or no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Creepy Joe sniffs another one yesterday in Kentucky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumpster still blowing ol' Corn Pop?

He probably blows his heffer's 5 inch clit too tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch the whole thing. You can tell the little guy is wigged out by the old guy fondling him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't watch the signing on the right without thinking of the chick in houston who was faking it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch the whole thing. You can tell the little guy is wigged out by the old guy fondling him.
    Dems just can't keep their hands off the children, even those who haven't been born.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not going to adopt any kids, much less spawn. What's your problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was unaware of the Medicare premium hike.

Good luck in the midterms, Dems. Your window for getting done will be closing very soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not going to adopt any kids, much less spawn. What's your problem?
    nor will he support foster homes

about 25K people "age out" of foster care every year having spent their entire childhoods and teen years in an ins ution.

you, ACB and your extreme "Catholicism"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden Should Not Run Again — and He Should Say He Won’t

Dec. 14, 2021

Credit...Damon Winter/The New York Times

By Bret Stephens
    Opinion Columnist

Is it a good idea for Joe Biden to run for re-election in 2024? And, if he runs again and wins, would it be good for the United States to have a president who is 86 — the age Biden would be at the end of a second term?
    I put these questions bluntly because they need to be discussed candidly, not just whispered constantly.
    In the 1980s, it was fair game for reputable reporters to ask whether Ronald Reagan was too old for the presidency, at a time when he was several years younger than Biden is today. Donald Trump’s apparent difficulty holding a glass and his constricted vocabulary repeatedly prompted unflattering speculation about his health, mental and otherwise. And Joe Biden’s memory lapses were a source of mirth among his Democratic primary rivals, at least until he won the nomination.
    Yet it’s now considered horrible manners to raise concerns about Biden’s age and health. As if doing so can only play into Trump’s hands. As if the president’s well-being is nobody’s business but his own. As if it doesn’t much matter whether he has the for ude for the world’s most important job, so long as his aides can adroitly fill the gaps. As if accusations of ageism and a giant shushing sound from media elites can keep the issue off the public mind.

It won’t do. From some of his public appearances, Biden seems … uneven. Often cogent, but sometimes alarmingly incoherent. What’s the reason? I have no idea. Do his appearances (including the good ones) inspire strong confidence that the president can go the distance in his current term, to say nothing of the next? No.
    And many people seem to know it. On Sunday, my colleagues Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns reported on the Democratic Party’s not-so-quiet murmurs about what to do if Biden decides not to run. Aspirants for the nomination appear in the story like sharks circling a raft, swimming slow.
    This is not healthy. Not for the president himself, not for the office he holds, not for the Democratic Party, not for the country.
    In 2019, the Biden campaign — cognizant of the candidate’s age — sold him to primary voters as a “transition figure,” the guy whose main purpose was to dethrone Trump and then smooth the way for a fresher Democratic face. Biden never made that promise explicit, but the expectation feels betrayed.
    Things might be different if the Biden presidency were off to a great start. It’s not. Blame Joe Manchin or Mitch McConnell or the antivaxxers, but Biden’s poll numbers have been deeply underwater since August. The man who once gave his party hope now weighs on his party’s fortunes like a pair of cement shoes.

Editors’ Picks

A Love Language Spoken With Hands

Could Oreo Cookies Solve New York’s Rat Problem?

Quiz: Do You Recognize These Notable People of 2021?

Continue reading the main story
    Things might also be different if it looked like the administration would soon turn the corner. That’s the administration’s hope for the mammoth Build Back Better legislation. But last month’s passage of the infrastructure bill didn’t really move the political needle for Biden, and that bill was genuinely popular. Now B.B.B. looms as another costly progressive distraction in a time of surging prices, ing homicides, resurgent disease, urban decay, a border crisis, a supply-chain crisis and the threat of Iran crossing the nuclear threshold and of Russia crossing the Ukrainian border.
    Oh, and Kamala Harris. Her supporters might decry the fact, but to an ever-growing number of Americans, the heir apparent seems lighter than air. Her poll numbers at this point in her term are the worst of those of any vice president in recent history, including Mike Pence’s. If she winds up as her party’s default nominee if Biden pulls out late, Democrats will have every reason to panic.
    So what’s the president to do? He should announce, much sooner than later, that he will not run for a second term.
    The argument against this is that it would instantly turn him into a lame-duck president, and that’s undoubtedly true.
    But, news flash: Right now he’s worse than a lame duck, because potential Democratic successors are prevented from making calls, finding their lanes and appealing for attention. That goes especially for people in the administration who should be powerful contenders: Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and infrastructure czar Mitch Landrieu.
    And what would that mean for the rest of the Biden presidency? Far from weakening him, it would instantly allow him to be statesmanlike. And it would be liberating. It would put an end to the endless media speculation. It would inject enthusiasm and interest into a listless Democratic Party. It would let him devote himself wholly to addressing the country’s immediate problems without worrying about re-election.
    And it needn’t diminish his presidency. George H.W. Bush accomplished more in four years than his successor accomplished in eight. Greatness is often easier to achieve when good policies aren’t en bered by clever politics. Biden should think on it — and act soon.

More on the Biden presidency

Opinion | Corey Robin
    Why the Biden Presidency Feels Like Such a Disappointment
    Dec. 9, 2021

Opinion | David Brooks
    Joe Biden Is Succeeding
    Nov. 18, 202

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram.

Bret Stephens has been an Opinion columnist with The Times since April 2017. He won a Pulitzer Prize for commentary at The Wall Street Journal in 2013 and was previously editor in chief of The Jerusalem Post. Facebook

A version of this article appears in print on Dec. 15, 2021, Section A, Page 26 of the New York edition with the headline: Biden Should Not Run Again, and He Should Say He Won’t. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe
    READ 2109 COMMENTS

You’re almost out of free articles.

Get unlimited article access

for $1 a week.

Subscribe nowLimited time offer. Cancel anytime.
    Suggested newsletters for you

Don't show me this again

WEEKLY
    Sunday Best

The most thought-provoking, funny and delightful stories from The New York Times Opinion section.

See the latest
    DAILY
    The Morning

Make sense of the day’s news and ideas. David Leonhardt and Times journalists guide you through what’s happening — and why it matters.

See the latest
    AS NEEDED
    Breaking News

Alerts when important news breaks around the world.

See the latest
    Bret Stephens

Foreign policy and domestic politics.Capacity for Surprise

Dec. 7

Games

Nov. 30

Progressivism

Chandan Khanna/AFP, via Getty Images

Dec. 15

Continue reading the main

Special offer. Subscribe for $4.25 $1 a week.

Thanks for reading The Times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pasting an entire web page

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    holy thats some real old man energy there, how the you copy the entire webpage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pasting an entire web page
    holy thats some real old man energy there, how the you copy the entire webpage

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Build Back Better’s freeze puts the bow on Biden’s very bad year

By John Podhoretz

December 15, 2021 6:46pm Updated

If President Joe Biden had a blackboard and drew a line down the middle with his achievements on one side and failures on the other, the positive list has maybe two things on it while the negative list is staggeringly long.AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

MORE FROM:JOHN PODHORETZ

Is President Joe Biden doing anything — and I mean anything — right? The news that his mul rillion-dollar swing for the historical fences, the Build Back Better bill, is being shelved just put a bow on his mostly horrible first year in office.
    If Biden had a blackboard and drew a line down the middle with his achievements on one side and failures on the other, the positive list has maybe two things on it while the negative list is staggeringly long.
    Negative: Inflation. Rising crime. More COVID deaths than in 2020. The mishandling of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. A border crisis to dwarf any we’ve seen. The ever-shifting line on school closures.
    More in the negative column: Getting dinged by courts on efforts to continue a national eviction moratorium through the Centers for Disease Control and on the national vaccine mandate. The disastrous pullout from Afghanistan. Bad off-year election results.
    Positive: Early on he got a COVID relief bill. Later in the year he got an infrastructure bill. These were real legislative accomplishments, there’s no denying that. They sailed through the Scylla and Charybdis of hyperpartisanship and made it into law.
    The problem for Biden is that it’s far too early to claim any results from infrastructure spending. The even greater issue is that the COVID relief may have created more problems than it solved.
    SEE ALSO

Manchin opposition forces Schumer to push spending bill to 2022

Months and months of extraordinarily generous unemployment insurance had the unintended consequence of allowing millions to stay out of a workforce desperate for their return because the private sector couldn’t compete on price with . . . unemployment.
    That kind of weird compe ive pressure on the private sector from the public sector has also played a role in the supply-chain crises and the inflationary spiral. So his success here is also responsible for what may be the most damaging policy failure of his presidency so far.
    The last time Washington gave off these particular vibes — an out-of-control economy with top-down policy solutions that only made things worse and a depressed and withdrawn foreign policy that only emboldened our adversaries — I had a full Jewfro atop my head and was watching “The Love Boat” and “Fantasy Island” at home on Saturday nights because I couldn’t get a date to go to the disco with me.
    I’m getting old, is what I’m saying, and “West Side Story” isn’t the only convincing remake I’ve seen. All this hearkens directly back to 1979-1981, the late Carter years and the peculiar emotional combination of confusion, powerlessness and rage that seemed to emanate from the liberal ruling class when its off-the-shelf answers to pressing questions just didn’t assure anyone that they knew what they were doing.
    Biden’s championing of a bill initially designed to spend $6 trillion ate up his party’s legislative attention for nearly six months. Build Back Better declined in size but never ascended in approval, no matter the propagandistic efforts to claim its provisions were popular — just so long as nobody was asked how much the provisions they liked would actually cost.
    It doesn’t really matter why Biden went down this stupid path. It doesn’t matter whether he had an idea about solidifying his party’s progressive base in the way Donald Trump solidified his party’s conservative base. Or maybe it was because third-rate newsmagazine historians and bestselling pop biography toadies came to the White House sucking their “PBS NewsHour” thumbs and swelling his head with comparisons to FDR and LBJ and whatever other three-initialed liberal gods they might have invoked to cloud what little reason Biden might have left.
    What matters is the results.
    He didn’t “fix” COVID. The country is experiencing inflation at a level 170 million people in this country (all those under the age of 40) have never lived through before. Cities are returning to the state of nature. And Biden’s party is going to have to go out there next year and see whether it can do anything to stave off the tsunami that will sweep it away 11 months from now on midterm Election Day.
    [email protected]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I was looking for the official Joe Manchin is doing awesome thread. Do we have one of those for the real POTUS from WV?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash cut such funds which were already stupidly low.

EPA directing $1 billion in infrastructure money to Superfund sites

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...bill-funds-for

Superfund sites: business dumps its external costs on taxpayers (along with disease and death)

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-17-2021 at 06:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking for the official Joe Manchin is doing awesome thread. Do we have one of those for the real POTUS from WV?

Thread Information