Page 183 of 435 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233283 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 10859
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden Should Not Run Again — and He Should Say He Won’t

Dec. 14, 2021

Credit...Damon Winter/The New York Times

By Bret Stephens
    Opinion Columnist

Is it a good idea for Joe Biden to run for re-election in 2024? And, if he runs again and wins, would it be good for the United States to have a president who is 86 — the age Biden would be at the end of a second term?
    I put these questions bluntly because they need to be discussed candidly, not just whispered constantly.
    In the 1980s, it was fair game for reputable reporters to ask whether Ronald Reagan was too old for the presidency, at a time when he was several years younger than Biden is today. Donald Trump’s apparent difficulty holding a glass and his constricted vocabulary repeatedly prompted unflattering speculation about his health, mental and otherwise. And Joe Biden’s memory lapses were a source of mirth among his Democratic primary rivals, at least until he won the nomination.
    Yet it’s now considered horrible manners to raise concerns about Biden’s age and health. As if doing so can only play into Trump’s hands. As if the president’s well-being is nobody’s business but his own. As if it doesn’t much matter whether he has the for ude for the world’s most important job, so long as his aides can adroitly fill the gaps. As if accusations of ageism and a giant shushing sound from media elites can keep the issue off the public mind.

It won’t do. From some of his public appearances, Biden seems … uneven. Often cogent, but sometimes alarmingly incoherent. What’s the reason? I have no idea. Do his appearances (including the good ones) inspire strong confidence that the president can go the distance in his current term, to say nothing of the next? No.
    And many people seem to know it. On Sunday, my colleagues Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns reported on the Democratic Party’s not-so-quiet murmurs about what to do if Biden decides not to run. Aspirants for the nomination appear in the story like sharks circling a raft, swimming slow.
    This is not healthy. Not for the president himself, not for the office he holds, not for the Democratic Party, not for the country.
    In 2019, the Biden campaign — cognizant of the candidate’s age — sold him to primary voters as a “transition figure,” the guy whose main purpose was to dethrone Trump and then smooth the way for a fresher Democratic face. Biden never made that promise explicit, but the expectation feels betrayed.
    Things might be different if the Biden presidency were off to a great start. It’s not. Blame Joe Manchin or Mitch McConnell or the antivaxxers, but Biden’s poll numbers have been deeply underwater since August. The man who once gave his party hope now weighs on his party’s fortunes like a pair of cement shoes.

Editors’ Picks

A Love Language Spoken With Hands

Could Oreo Cookies Solve New York’s Rat Problem?

Quiz: Do You Recognize These Notable People of 2021?

Continue reading the main story
    Things might also be different if it looked like the administration would soon turn the corner. That’s the administration’s hope for the mammoth Build Back Better legislation. But last month’s passage of the infrastructure bill didn’t really move the political needle for Biden, and that bill was genuinely popular. Now B.B.B. looms as another costly progressive distraction in a time of surging prices, ing homicides, resurgent disease, urban decay, a border crisis, a supply-chain crisis and the threat of Iran crossing the nuclear threshold and of Russia crossing the Ukrainian border.
    Oh, and Kamala Harris. Her supporters might decry the fact, but to an ever-growing number of Americans, the heir apparent seems lighter than air. Her poll numbers at this point in her term are the worst of those of any vice president in recent history, including Mike Pence’s. If she winds up as her party’s default nominee if Biden pulls out late, Democrats will have every reason to panic.
    So what’s the president to do? He should announce, much sooner than later, that he will not run for a second term.
    The argument against this is that it would instantly turn him into a lame-duck president, and that’s undoubtedly true.
    But, news flash: Right now he’s worse than a lame duck, because potential Democratic successors are prevented from making calls, finding their lanes and appealing for attention. That goes especially for people in the administration who should be powerful contenders: Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and infrastructure czar Mitch Landrieu.
    And what would that mean for the rest of the Biden presidency? Far from weakening him, it would instantly allow him to be statesmanlike. And it would be liberating. It would put an end to the endless media speculation. It would inject enthusiasm and interest into a listless Democratic Party. It would let him devote himself wholly to addressing the country’s immediate problems without worrying about re-election.
    And it needn’t diminish his presidency. George H.W. Bush accomplished more in four years than his successor accomplished in eight. Greatness is often easier to achieve when good policies aren’t en bered by clever politics. Biden should think on it — and act soon.

More on the Biden presidency

Opinion | Corey Robin
    Why the Biden Presidency Feels Like Such a Disappointment
    Dec. 9, 2021

Opinion | David Brooks
    Joe Biden Is Succeeding
    Nov. 18, 202

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram.

Bret Stephens has been an Opinion columnist with The Times since April 2017. He won a Pulitzer Prize for commentary at The Wall Street Journal in 2013 and was previously editor in chief of The Jerusalem Post. Facebook

A version of this article appears in print on Dec. 15, 2021, Section A, Page 26 of the New York edition with the headline: Biden Should Not Run Again, and He Should Say He Won’t. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe
    READ 2109 COMMENTS

You’re almost out of free articles.

Get unlimited article access

for $1 a week.

Subscribe nowLimited time offer. Cancel anytime.
    Suggested newsletters for you

Don't show me this again

WEEKLY
    Sunday Best

The most thought-provoking, funny and delightful stories from The New York Times Opinion section.

See the latest
    DAILY
    The Morning

Make sense of the day’s news and ideas. David Leonhardt and Times journalists guide you through what’s happening — and why it matters.

See the latest
    AS NEEDED
    Breaking News

Alerts when important news breaks around the world.

See the latest
    Bret Stephens

Foreign policy and domestic politics.Capacity for Surprise

Dec. 7

Games

Nov. 30

Progressivism

Chandan Khanna/AFP, via Getty Images

Dec. 15

Continue reading the main

Special offer. Subscribe for $4.25 $1 a week.

Thanks for reading The Times.

LOL boomer copypasta. Actually wouldn't be bad to use it as such tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Half of the Medicare premium increase is just for that bogus Alzheimer's drug which 10 out of 11 experts rejected

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this is golden

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL boomer copypasta. Actually wouldn't be bad to use it as such tbh.
    No kidding that was low level boomer copypasta.

Grandkid must have been frustrated repeating things and talking them through the process.

I can hear the conversation, “sure, just highlight, wait what, no it will not turn yellow, ok, just press the left mouse button and scroll down until you get to end of items you want and select copy, the thingy that looks like tv, remember, then hit the paste, the scissors picture thingy I told you about a couple of times, where you want to post the items you copied. What, no, you have to toggle to the other site. Use alt-tab, alt-tab are keys on the keyboard. No, both kets at once. Wait one grandpa, recess is over and I have to go to my second period class. We are learning to color within the lines today. I have to go now grandpa, byyyyeeee.”

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

this is golden
    Democrat's ridiculous iden y politics choice for VP has been the greatest gift ever handed to the Republican party. The GOP does not even have to campaign on anything, just watch the existing group of (D) failures inevitably self destruct. Here's an idea, next time pick someone based on merit, not skin color or gender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this is golden

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Democrat's ridiculous iden y politics choice for VP has been the greatest gift ever handed to the Republican party. The GOP does not even have to campaign on anything, just watch the existing group of (D) failures inevitably self destruct. Here's an idea, next time pick someone based on merit, not skin color or gender.
    & I'll be honest, I never thought she'd the bed like she has. A total calamity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's had more on her shoulders as a VP than anyone in recent memory, save for Pence on Jan 6th tbh. This is because she can speak clearly and the POTUS cannot, and so the MSM ignores Joe mostly and focuses on Harris.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this is golden
    "and Im vice president...."

Kagala. One of the worst piece of humans to ever grace this green earth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did

Me

I called it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WH crying on twitter

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

I kinda saw it coming because she polled so poorly in the Dems primary.

What I did not see coming was Joe handing her that sh1t sandwich of a border that he created...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Is build back badly now officially dead?

I'm inclined to think that it isn't. I think Manchin wants something and this was a power play move.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect they'll get something passed and call it a win

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Is build back badly now officially dead?

I'm inclined to think that it isn't. I think Manchin wants something and this was a power play move.
    I expect they'll get something passed and call it a win
    Sad, but true.

It was nice though watching Jim Acosta/CNN suffer over this today. He couldn't even set still...He-was-livid.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Sad, but true.

It was nice though watching Jim Acosta/CNN suffer over this today. He couldn't even set still...He-was-livid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any guesses on how low Failing Joe's poll numbers will go over the Winter Of Death?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    President Joe Biden has experienced a tremendous drop in support among the younger demographic those under the age of 30 since taking office, a YouGov/Economist survey found.

According to the Economist's analysis of the data, "Mr Biden's failure to impress the young now threatens his presidency," as he has lost significant support since January. Currently, just 29 percent of adults under the age of 30 approve of Biden's job performance, while half disapprove.

"The net rating of -21 points is the worst for any age group," the Economist found. However, his net approval is underwater with other age groups as well. Adults 65 and older give Biden an approval of -8, while those 45 to 64 give him -5. Adults 30 to 45 give Biden a negative rating in the double digits -17.

Overall, Biden has experienced a -50 point drop-off in support among young Americans since taking office.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Manchin Privately Told Colleagues Parents Use Child Tax Credit Money On Drugs
    https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...104509135.html

Let the hit pieces start rolling

The commies are so mad

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Desperate WH resorting to straight up lies now

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sorry you're suffering in this economy.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

ouch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess he saw the Ghost of Christmas Future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team