Page 191 of 435 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201241291 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,775 of 10861
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now we’re worried about salaries not outpacing inflation?

From the same crowd ing about $15/hour???
    One has nothing to do with the other

Federal minimum wage is a fake issue, entry level work is payment within itself, you have to start somewhere, the minimum wage kills jobs, job creators avoid high minimum wage areas, when labor costs rise other prices rise too, the poor get priced out, we can negotiate our own deals, each state’s economy is different, the Cons ution says nothing about the minimum wage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One has nothing to do with the other

Federal minimum wage is a fake issue, entry level work is payment within itself, you have to start somewhere, the minimum wage kills jobs, job creators avoid high minimum wage areas, when labor costs rise other prices rise too, the poor get priced out, we can negotiate our own deals, each state’s economy is different, the Cons ution says nothing about the minimum wage.
    Of course they’re directly associated. The federal minimum wage has historically set the floor for wages. There’s still people today earning $7.25/hour and the outrage at the mere mention of an increase goes to show it does matter.

The last time it was updated was July 2009. It has been over 12 years since it’s last update, and we’ve had an average of 2%-3% yearly inflation rate. I only recall some people here mentioning wages (minimum and otherwise) have not kept up with inflation, but they were certainly not conservative. With the minimum wage specifically, the conservative opposition was certainly pretty clear.

But now is a problem? Really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minimum wage is an offer, it's part of a negotiation. Walk away if it doesn't meet your demands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minimum wage is an offer, it's part of a negotiation. Walk away if it doesn't meet your demands.
    Some people need the work and don’t have that option. But, regardless, I’m just pointing out the selective outrage, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people need the work and don’t have that option. But, regardless, I’m just pointing out the selective outrage, tbh
    True.

We say that frontline workers are great for doing their jobs in the midst of a pandemic but the pay of frontline service workers that cannot work from home (food production, retail, transportation, etc.) is not commensurate.

Who would take a minimum wage job now, as you say, unless they had no other option?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course they’re directly associated. The federal minimum wage has historically set the floor for wages. There’s still people today earning $7.25/hour and the outrage at the mere mention of an increase goes to show it does matter.

The last time it was updated was July 2009. It has been over 12 years since it’s last update, and we’ve had an average of 2%-3% yearly inflation rate. I only recall some people here mentioning wages (minimum and otherwise) have not kept up with inflation, but they were certainly not conservative. With the minimum wage specifically, the conservative opposition was certainly pretty clear.

But now is a problem? Really?
    For years you wouldn't bite, now all it takes is this

https://medium.com/@glenntv/10-simpl...e-d7509a7278cd

You're losing it man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For years you wouldn't bite, now all it takes is this

https://medium.com/@glenntv/10-simpl...e-d7509a7278cd

You're losing it man
    Lol that’s a terrible post and lacks basic economic fundamentals, not to mention that’s actually refuted by reality. I haven’t just started arguing about depreciated wages in this post or thread.

The reality is that the minimum wage (and NOT the maximum wage) ends up adjusting the entire salary scale. The guy that was making $15/hour, which wasn’t the minimum salary, but now it is, will also need his salary adjusted. And this moves up the chain. This is unlike top salaries, which don’t uniformly scale up (or ‘lifts all boats’) the same. That’s why we have CEOs with golden parachutes making 1000x more than their immediate subordinates.

Some of these other arguments answer themselves. If such a small amount of people are working at the federal minimum, then why do we even have pushback or articles like that? The answer is what’s explained above, a raise of the federal minimum doesn’t just impact workers making the minimum, but the entire wage chain. This is especially the case when the increase is fairly drastic (like it would be duplicating it to $15 in one fell swoop).

If you wanted to make a better economic argument about the increase, you would actually say it’s easier to go from 7.25 to 15 in Seattle, WA (which, BTW, s all over that post and it’s claims) than in South Bend. That makes a lot more economic sense, because Seattle is a wealthier city with a fairly compe ive market in many areas, so you end up with two things: 1) Companies willing to eat the difference instead of passing the cost in order to remain compe ive in a strong market and 2) even if some costs are passed, it’s a city better equipped to deal with the increase. South Bend, on the other hand, is SOL.

And lastly, nothing on that post refutes what we’ve been discussing at all, it’s just another goalpost move (poor at that, tbh 3/10) that doesn’t address the newlyfound fake outrage of wages not keeping up with inflation…

But I’m the one losing it…

Not sure when the BDS got into you, but damn if it doesn’t look tougher than COVID

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minimum wage will always be minimum wage. If the jobs that pay it now doubled their pay due to increase in the MW, the cost of living would make the increase pointless and unless the entire pay scale shifted to compensate, you've got people who actually worked a few years to get to 15 an hour and now they are at minimum wage

That said, it wouldn't bother me other than the fact it's just for show. It doesn't close the financial gap nor make these down and out people better off when the cost of living for them doubles as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minimum wage will always be minimum wage. If the jobs that pay it now doubled their pay due to increase in the MW, the cost of living would make the increase pointless and unless the entire pay scale shifted to compensate, you've got people who actually worked a few years to get to 15 an hour and now they are at minimum wage

That said, it wouldn't bother me other than the fact it's just for show. It doesn't close the financial gap nor make these down and out people better off when the cost of living for them doubles as well.
    But that’s the thing. Seemingly only wages are not indexed by inflation (and predominantly is the lower wages) despite that for a business it’s a cost no different than any other cost of doing business. If your raw materials raise 3%, the business is going to raise prices by 3%, but generally try to pocket the different on wages. Again, this is not always the case, but it’s much more prevalent on lower wages since the expectation is that such a person can be easily replaced.

Again, this spilled over into an argument about the minimum wage, but that was just a clear example of what I’m talking about selective outrage. The minimum wage has been lapped up and destroyed by inflation for over a decade, but now it’s a problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This somewhat also dovetails into the new ‘outrage’ about workers being more picky about the jobs they want to take and under what conditions (remote, flex work, low wage, etc) in a high worker demand economy. No company has a ‘right’ to workers, they have to bid in a compe ive market.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that’s why they keeping the border open companies need cheap day labors to do the work in the fields/house keeping/Gardening/Meat factories/Fast food, etc.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Left can't meme.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But that’s the thing. Seemingly only wages are not indexed by inflation (and predominantly is the lower wages) despite that for a business it’s a cost no different than any other cost of doing business. If your raw materials raise 3%, the business is going to raise prices by 3%, but generally try to pocket the different on wages. Again, this is not always the case, but it’s much more prevalent on lower wages since the expectation is that such a person can be easily replaced.

Again, this spilled over into an argument about the minimum wage, but that was just a clear example of what I’m talking about selective outrage. The minimum wage has been lapped up and destroyed by inflation for over a decade, but now it’s a problem?
    But who stays at entry level income for years? Even the government says that the net outcome of 15 dollars an hour MW would be more families without income due to people being let go for cost reasons. Sure some would make more, but some would simply not be hired or would be let go. You're saying the stairs keep getting extended but that bottom step is always at the same height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But who stays at entry level income for years? Even the government says that the net outcome of 15 dollars an hour MW would be more families without income due to people being let go for cost reasons. Sure some would make more, but some would simply not be hired or would be let go. You're saying the stairs keep getting extended but that bottom step is always at the same height.
    No, extending the stairs would mean that they grow at the very least on par with inflation, but they do not.
    Plenty of people work for low wages (or used to before the pandemic made the job market much tighter). Don’t we hear often enough how half the country don’t make enough to even pay taxes? Lots of people on part time jobs as well.

I get that an indexed MW will never happen. It should, but it’s unlikely it ever will.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, extending the stairs would mean that they grow at the very least on par with inflation, but they do not.
    Plenty of people work for low wages (or used to before the pandemic made the job market much tighter). Don’t we hear often enough how half the country don’t make enough to even pay taxes? Lots of people on part time jobs as well.

I get that an indexed MW will never happen. It should, but it’s unlikely it ever will.
    a free-running indexed minimum wage won't happen because it's too useful to the Repugs as an extortionate political football, like the debt limit

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a free-running indexed minimum wage won't happen because it's too useful to the Repugs as an extortionate political football, like the debt limit
    Dems out of power "We have a great idea!"

Dems in power "but what will Repugs say"

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans out of power: We have a plan to replace Obamacare!

Republicans in power:

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Republicans in power:
    Trump in power: 400,000 dead of the COVIDPERIOD
    Trump out of the power: 448,000 dead of the COVID.
    & counting, kids.

Just shows to go ya.
    &
    Let us proceed...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Biden’s bruising first year as US President leaves White House despondent over sliding approval ratings
    https://inews.co.uk/news/world/joe-b...atings-1357884

Despondent Joe

Poor fella

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Biden’s bruising first year as US President leaves White House despondent over sliding approval ratings
    https://inews.co.uk/news/world/joe-b...atings-1357884

Despondent Joe

Poor fella
    He kicked the ever living of the big loser, his job was done November 2020.

Time for him to pass the torch to Kamala, tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kamala is done, Buttplug is the heir apparent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Republicans in power:
    2020: Democrats in power

2022/2024: Democrats out of power

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information