Page 349 of 434 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,725 of 10830
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that the alleged crime happened inside an embassy makes this fall straight into sovereign immunity.

Look, the US shouldn't have looked the other way, that was de able, and if you have to ding Old Joe for something, it's the flip flop on MBS after the oil crisis.

But this was on shaky grounds to begin with.
    All good points, still, this was a choice, not a necessity. Khashoggi was a legal US resident, I guess that cuts no ice with the Biden administration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I feel the railroads need to modify their sick day policy (three days notice is ridiculous) and could have allowed for paid sick days on top of their three weeks of paid vacation (seven for managers) It's hard to shed too many crocodile tears for them. They already have a golden pay and benefit compensation package without the paid sick days.

https://raillaborfacts.org/total-compensation/

All the republicans claiming to "be for the workers" and criticizing Biden were just playing politics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All good points, still, this was a choice, not a necessity.
    Maybe, maybe not. The DOJ didn't force the judge's hand here, they just provided an opinion on how the administration saw MBS's status.

Ultimately Sovereign Immunity was going to be part of this case sooner or later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I feel the railroads need to modify their sick day policy (three days notice is ridiculous) and could have allowed for paid sick days on top of their three weeks of paid vacation (seven for managers) It's hard to shed too many crocodile tears for them. They already have a golden pay and benefit compensation package without the paid sick days.

https://raillaborfacts.org/total-compensation/

All the republicans claiming to "be for the workers" and criticizing Biden were just playing politics.
    As was Biden posing as a pro-labor hero, tbh. Politcal calculations win out over principle. A Christmas rail strike holding up the goodies is a loser, so Biden and the US Congress took it out on beleaguered railroaders instead of greedy bosses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (To be fair, the NLRB seems to have rediscovered its teeth under Joe Biden. It's not 100% lip service.)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    77 Percent of Young Voters Said Student Debt Relief Motivated Them to Vote

The poll found that 12 percent of young voters said student debt relief was the only reason they voted.

https://truthout.org/articles/77-per...-them-to-vote/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, maybe not. The DOJ didn't force the judge's hand here, they just provided an opinion on how the administration saw MBS's status.

Ultimately Sovereign Immunity was going to be part of this case sooner or later.
    does that work the same in Venezuela?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does that work the same in Venezuela?
    It should as long as we're talking about heads of states. Maduro can come to a UN meeting in the US and he won't be arrested, for example.

I understand that under Saudi law he wasn't technically head of state then, but for all intents and purposes the US saw him as that, and that's what the DOJ relayed.

Ultimately the decision is up to the judge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should as long as we're talking about heads of states. Maduro can come to a UN meeting in the US and he won't be arrested, for example.

I understand that under Saudi law he wasn't technically head of state then, but for all intents and purposes the US saw him as that, and that's what the DOJ relayed.

Ultimately the decision is up to the judge.
    understood, but the judge in this case felt moved to defer, for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As was Biden posing as a pro-labor hero, tbh. Politcal calculations win out over principle. A Christmas rail strike holding up the goodies is a loser, so Biden and the US Congress took it out on beleaguered railroaders instead of greedy bosses.
    How was he supposed to take out the bosses?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How was he supposed to take out the bosses?
    I didn't say he could.

Biden could have used the bully pulpit to describe the factual injustice of the bosses and fight for the railroaders. Instead he was content to let them get screwed because muh economy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    understood, but the judge in this case felt moved to defer, for some reason.
    Because my understanding is that the judge evaluates the likelihood of prevailing in the case.

What the plaintiffs can do now is sue to challenge that SI applies to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say he could.

Biden could have used the bully pulpit to describe the factual injustice of the bosses and fight for the railroaders. Instead he was content to let them get screwed because muh economy.
    Lol you left wing guys and your magical bully pulpit/Deus ex machina

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nation Shocked to Learn That Kyrsten Sinema Had Been a Democrat

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...een-a-democrat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol you left wing guys and your magical bully pulpit/Deus ex machina
    what presidents say matters. I don't think this belief is exclusive to left wingers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what presidents say matters. I don't think this belief is exclusive to left wingers.
    You guys understand politics about as well as koriwhat understands vagina

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at how LBJ and FDR used the billy pulpit, Biden should do that!!!*

*Narrator: their main advantage was actually having an extra 42 seats in the Senate tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at how LBJ and FDR used the billy pulpit, Biden should do that!!!*

*Narrator: their main advantage was actually having an extra 42 seats in the Senate tbh
    Sure, power is decisive, but what political leaders say still matters. It's absurd to suggest that what the leader of the most powerful country in the world says is inconsequential.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden does not decide which oil USA uses

Nor does he stop domestic oil and gas production from being exported at world/OPEC prices

The price of natural gas in Texas is about the highest in USA, while big oil builds LNG export terminals along the coast to sell natural gas at the world price

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beware of BLS monthly job estimates, Q2 just got adjusted down by 1.1 million jobs.

Estimates by the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia indicate that the employment changes from March through June 2022 were significantly different in 33 states and the District of Columbia compared with current state estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ (BLS) Current Employment Statistics (CES). Early benchmark estimates indicated higher changes in four states, lower changes in 29 states and the District of Columbia, and lesser changes in the remaining 17 states.
    In the aggregate, 10,500 net new jobs were added during the period rather than the 1,121,500 jobs estimated by the sum of the states; the U.S. CES estimated net growth of 1,047,000 jobs for the period. Payroll jobs in the nation remained essentially flat from March through June 2022 after adjusting for QCEW data.

Preliminary (not-yet-benchmarked) state employment estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) continue to be subject to significant revisions around turning points in the economy. These large revisions occur primarily because the preliminary state estimates are based on a small sample of firms, while subsequent annual benchmark revisions incorporate other BLS data based on a full count from nearly all firms.
    The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia has developed early benchmark estimates of monthly state payroll employment on a quarterly basis to predict the subsequent annual benchmark revisions by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Our process enhances the monthly Current Employment Survey (CES) payroll employment data with the more comprehensive Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (QCEW) payroll employment data. The CES provides a timely estimate of monthly state employment data, but the QCEW follows about five months later with a more complete picture, covering more than 95 percent of all employers.
    https://mishtalk.com/economics/the-p...million-for-q2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Omnibus bill passed with 18 Republican votes in the Senate. Filibuster proof.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You ok? You need a tissue?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most Christian president since Obama tbh

Thread Information