Page 76 of 435 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 10859
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's one campaign promise Joe Biden isn't on track to keep. And the left is OK with it.

WASHINGTON — When President Barack Obama abandoned a public insurance option to win moderate support for the Affordable Care Act in 2009, progressives were enraged.

A decade later, Joe Biden campaigned on making the public option a reality, but so far, he's done little to get Congress to enact one. Instead of outrage, influential progressives seem to be OK watching the promise go unfilled, preferring to pursue universal health care through other means, like expanding Medicare eligibility.

Elected officials, health care activists and experts who spoke to NBC News said the issue has fallen off the national radar and will be difficult to revive without a major push by the White House.

Responding to the pandemic has consumed much of Biden's attention in his first months in office. And beyond that, he has a long list of agenda items to get to first, including many that are popular with progressives.

“I don’t think there’s a dynamic where we see it at the center of a political fight again,” said Alex Lawson, the executive director of the left-leaning group Social Security Works.
    'A green light'

Democratic supporters in Congress say they have not abandoned the fight. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., and Rep. Frank Pallone, D-N.J., who chair health care committees in their chambers, announced in a letter last month that they intend to craft a public option bill.

But even getting a bill to move in Congress could prove complicated.

Making a public option the law would require significant legislative work to flesh out. While the term was often used in 2020 as a catch-all for a system that preserved private insurance but also allowed people to get their coverage through the government, there’s a wide variety of competing versions.

Biden’s own campaign proposal for a “Medicare-like plan” was vague on details. His latest budget proposal, which is an aspirational do ent for how a president envisions government, acknowledged his support for a public option in accompanying materials, but didn't include it in the actual spending plan.

Biden’s acting budget director, Shalanda Young, told reporters last month that the White House would “work collaboratively with Congress” to find a more specific proposal.
    Patty Murray wearing a suit and tie: Image: Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. (Susan Walsh / AP file) © Susan Walsh Image: Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. (Susan Walsh / AP file)

Two Senate Democrats, Tim Kaine of Virginia and Michael Bennet of Colorado, have sponsored "Medicare X" legislation, which would create a relatively narrow public option, but they have not received an endorsement from the White House, despite it appearing similar to what Biden recommended on the campaign trail.

“We don't have a green light,” Kaine said. “I think they’re frankly so focused on infrastructure and voting rights for right now that it may be a bit.”

Ben Nelson, a former Democratic senator from Nebraska who was a key vote in 2009 to eliminate the public option from the final ACA legislation, doubts Democrats could even get all 50 of their members in the Senate to support a public option.

“It’s a bad idea,” Nelson, whose legal work touches on the insurance industry, said in an interview. “It’s Medicare for everybody disguised as a public option. It would become the single payer for everybody.”

There is little pressure on the White House from advocates to push for a public option. The lack of enthusiasm among advocates would make fighting opposition from business more difficult.

Much of the health care industry opposes a government plan because it would compete with private insurers for customers and pay out less to hospitals, doctors and drug manufacturers.

'No natural political cons uency'

Progressives have rallied behind abolishing private insurance to set up a "Medicare for All" system, and some see a public option as undermining their cause, rather than a stepping stone to single payer.

Many on the left, including Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and the Congressional Progressive Caucus, are coalescing around lowering the Medicare eligibility age below 65 and broadening the program’s benefits to include vision, dental and hearing. There are efforts in Congress to include such a provision in Biden’s infrastructure and jobs plan.

“During the Democratic presidential primaries, a public option emerged as the anti-Medicare for All approach,” Larry Levitt, executive vice president for health policy at the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation, said. “It’s difficult for Medicare for All advocates to now pivot and get behind a public option. That effectively left the public option with no natural political cons uency.”

Health care advocates see a better, if still difficult, shot at enacting drug pricing reform first, an issue long championed by Speaker Nancy Pelosi that enjoys strong bipartisan support in polls.

Senate Democratic aides working on a public option acknowledge that the drug issue has more momentum for now.

“It’s not that a public option isn’t a priority. It’s that it’s not ready for prime time,” Frederick Isasi, executive director of the health care advocacy group Families USA, said. “Drug prices are ready for prime time.”

Other top Democratic health care goals, like making the American Rescue Plan’s boost in subsidies for the Affordable Care Act permanent, face no industry opposition and enjoy seemingly universal support within the caucus.

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., who would be a critical swing vote on any health care bill, told NBC News that he was open to a public option, but that he supported “President Biden’s approach to fixing what we have right now” in the ACA, and wanted to get those repairs done before he would consider anything else.

There is some movement on a public option at the state level, where Nevada is set to create a new government insurance plan. But given the many obstacles in Washington, it may be difficult for Congress to follow their lead.

“I mean, there’s a million things going on right now,” Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., who co-sponsored a bill that would allow Americans to buy into Medicare, told NBC News. “I know folks would like the Biden administration to deal with every important thing all at once, but that’s impossible.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw that.

Awesomeness.

Yet another action that stands in stark contrast to his predecessor.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet we were already on the hook for those and he knows the won't be used here. Also giving pfizer vaccine to the poorer countries because they should be getting the oxford/johnson and johnson. How you keeping them -30C in those backwards ass places

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Big Pharma Biden says fuk yo discount.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Big Pharma Biden says fuk yo discount.
    They're evil s. Exploiting people with severe medical issues.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 06-09-2021 at 10:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're evil s. Exploiting people with severe medical issues.
    We need the extra money to fight climate change. Joe says it is the biggest threat to the United States.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox is as bad as gab.

Most who live in extreme poverty, or less than 200% of the federal poverty level — an equation that works out to $34,840 for a family of two — already receive free or discounted prescription drugs.

U.S. Rep. Cindy Axne, D-Iowa, who opposed the Trump administration's executive order, said in a news release that “by targeting the centers providing these medications to those without insurance or the means to get the care instead of big pharmaceutical companies, HHS risks making things worse for a community already in need. Community Health Centers provide critical lifelines in our communities. They aren’t the reason why drug costs, especially insulin costs, are too high in this country.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/4254921001/

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We need the extra money to fight climate change. Joe says it is the biggest threat to the United States.
    The 215k of dead Americans who have died at the hands of mother er Biden during his installed presidency beg to differ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 215k of dead Americans who have died at the hands of mother er Biden during his installed presidency beg to differ.
    Anyone over 12 y.o.a. dying since May 11, 2021 had opportunity to get the vaccine.

They are up creek and on their own for not getting vaccine.

Let us proceed.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Anyone over 12 y.o.a. dying since May 11, 2021 had opportunity to get the vaccine.

Let us proceed.
    Yeah vaccines have been available to basically everyone since mid-April. People who weren't vaccinated but died from a case of COVID they caught after May 1 have themselves to blame for being dumbass anti-vaxxers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    215k rotting carcasses under your belt is no picnic

And Fall is coming. Biden going for the Silver at least. As most murderous president ever.

It is what it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    far left, Marxist, communism, etc..

the silver lining that there's approximately zero chance Rs do a deal with him

Biden offers to keep 2017 Trump tax cuts intact in infrastructure counteroffer to GOP
    If the D's were smart they would be playing up the "Trump tax hike" buried in the 2017 giveaway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Source?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mother er Biden

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let us proceed.
    I read some insurance companies aren't paying now if a customer has refused vaccine and then got covid-19 sick or dead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read some insurance companies aren't paying now if a customer has refused vaccine and then got covid-19 sick or dead.
    Hitting fools in pocket where it really hurts.

Surprised that the insurance companies are not being more vocal about this.

Let those objecting for religious reasons to take their business elsewhere.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I ain't divulging my source, RG. Not for money, marbles, nor chalk.

ha, ha!!!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hitting fools in pocket where it really hurts.

Surprised that the insurance companies are not being more vocal about this.

Let those objecting for religious reasons to take their business elsewhere.
    Because they don't want one of those hundreds of judges that President Trump jammed thru make them pay + damages. That won't save the bas s.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Tell it, boomster.

Testify!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they don't want one of those hundreds of judges that President Trump jammed thru make them pay + damages. That won't save the bas s.
    True, you do not get vaccinated and die, prayers did not help the dead bas s or their families.

Maybe you should offer them thoughts and prayers?

And so it goes.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    True, you do not get vaccinated and die, prayers did not help the dead bas s or their families.

Maybe you should offer them thoughts and prayers?

And so it goes.
    Have that Biden get in front of a microphone and apologize to us Trump voters for calling us "chumps" and I'll abide. Let that crawl to us, belly draggin'...crawl mother er, crawl!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ain't divulging my source, RG. Not for money, marbles, nor chalk.

ha, ha!!!
    Ah. So your source is your ass.

Understood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have that Biden get in front of a microphone and apologize to us Trump voters for calling us "chumps" and I'll abide. Let that crawl to us, belly draggin'...crawl mother er, crawl!
    eat a , traitor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information