Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., announced Friday that she will formally deliver the article of impeachment against Donald Trump to the Senate on Monday.

That will set into motion the unprecedent trial proceedings against the former president on a charge of incitement of insurrection over the January 6 deadly Capitol riot.

There was initial talk the trial might not take place for months. However, both Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, have agreed to beginning the Senate trial the week of February 8.

John Roberts, the chief justice of the United States, would normally preside over any Senate trial of the president.

But despite such niceties and trappings, a Senate trial would amount to more of a political sideshow than a legal proceeding.

Washington insiders say much of the effort is about Democratic revenge against Trump, and payback from establishment Republicans like McConnell. They never liked the outsider Trump and don't want to see him back in the White House come 2024.

Despite McConnell's effort to re-cast himself as an opponent of Trump's electoral challenge – "the mob was fed lies" – the record shows he strongly supported Trump's post-election voter efforts.

Shortly after the election, McConnell said from the Senate floor that Trump was "a hundred percent within his rights to look into allegations of irregularities and weigh his legal options."

McConnell added: "Let's not have any lectures about how the president should immediately, cheerfully accept preliminary election results from the same characters who just spent four years refusing to accept the validity of the last election."

In the end, McConnell refused to call Biden president-elect until December 15, and only spoke out against Trump in recent weeks.

Here's why:

1. The Impeachment itself was a sham.

A House impeachment is meant to be a deliberative process, one in which witnesses are heard and subjected to cross-examination, and the issues are fully debated, first in committee, then on the House floor.

What happened instead was what Rep. Ronny Jackson, R-Texas, called, "a stain on our nation."

Professor and cons utional law expert Alan Dershowitz was more specific. He told Newsmax TV that when the House voted to impeach, it "committed six independent violations of the Cons ution."

Knowing they were immune from prosecution for anything they say or do on the House floor, House members "violated the free speech provision. They violated the impeachment criteria. They violated the bill of attainder. They violated due process, on and on and on."

In addition, the president was denied the fundamental Sixth Amendment right to counsel, which should void his impeachment altogether.

2. A trial violates the very purpose of impeachment.

A president or other federal official, is impeached for one reason alone — to remove this person from office.

In this case President Trump vacated his office on January 20. More than that, when the Joint Session of Congress certified the electoral vote on January 6, it gave the election to Joe Biden.

Article II Section 4 of the Cons ution provides that "The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment" and a Senate conviction.

On that point William Jacobson, Cornell Law School professor of law, observed that "the premise of impeachment is that it is against someone who is the president, not someone who once was the president."

That view is shared by former federal appellate Judge J. Michael Luttig in a Washington Post article when he opined that a post-departure "Senate trial would be uncons utional."

And imagine opening this Pandora's box. With the cancel culture, will there be demands that every president who served during slavery be removed?

3. Who presides over the Senate trial?

As mentioned earlier, the chief justice normally presides over the impeachment of the president.

However, Trump is no longer the president — he is a former president.

Politico reported that Chief Justice John Roberts may bow out this time in an effort to keep the court as apolitical as possible.

Although a Roberts spokesman declined to comment on the issue, another Hill source told the publication, "He wants no further part of this."

And in that event Vice President Kamala Harris may end up presiding, given that for impeachments other than the president, either the vice president or a senator serves as presiding officer. That would make the process totally political and unseemly — the current administration going after its predecessor.

4. A Senate trial is shaping up to be a kangaroo court.

Senate Republicans urged their Democratic colleagues to begin trial sometime in mid-February, in order to give the Trump legal defense team a chance to adequately prepare.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., rejected that suggestion and called for a speedy trial beginning February 8, adding that there will be "a full trial, it will be a fair trial."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican, said that an impeachment trial on a president no longer in office would be uncons utional. He added that he predicts victory even if the case is heard on the merits.

"On the facts, they'll be able to mount a defense, so the main thing is to give him a chance to prepare and run the trial orderly, and hopefully the Senate will reject the idea of pursuing presidents after they leave office," Graham said.

5. The evidence doesn't support the article of impeachment.

The impeachment article accuses President Trump of "willfully inciting violence against the Government of the United States" with a speech he delivered to supporters on January 6 "that encouraged — and foreseeably resulted in — imminent lawless action at the Capitol."

However the evidence simply doesn't support the article for at least three reasons.

First, the riot was apparently pre-planned: The president could not have incited something planned well-ahead by others without his involvement. There is clear evidence a crowd began building before Trump even spoke. And The Washington Times reported that "initial court do ents show that at least two suspects arrived on or before Jan. 6 armed with explosives, tactical gear and caches of weapons. Facebook has come under fire for failing to remove "Stop the Steal" pages allegedly used by organizers weeks and even months ahead of the rally."

Second, Trump specifically called for peace: The president predicted that "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard." He said of the unconvinced Republicans, "If they don't fight, we have to primary the out of the ones that don't fight. You primary them. We're going to let you know who they are."

Third, authorities failed to protect the Capitol with the most basic of security. Security of the Capitol is the responsibility of the Congress, not the president. On the very day of the riot, questions arose over the Capitol building's lack of security: "How did so many rioters get into this building from so many directions? How was it breached?" Rep. Karen Bass, a California Democrat and House Judiciary Committee member, told ABC News. "You saw people with ropes scaling the building. You [normally] can't even get into this building with a purse." Capitol security and police failed to do the most basic thing as the crowd moved toward the building: lock the doors!

6. A Senate trial would be a colossal waste of time.

Although the House can impeach on a simple majority vote, it takes a two-thirds vote of the Senate to convict. The Senate is currently divided evenly at 50 members each (with independent Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders caucusing with Democrats).

Even in the event the Democratic caucus holds firm to convict, and GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, and Ben Sasse of Nebraska also vote to convict, they would still be 13 votes shy of what would be needed to convict.

Accordingly, the trial would be just for show, with all the participants knowing full-well what the result would be.

This could very well be their undoing in the long run. Ballotpedia reported that as of January 21, the Congressional approval rating was 13%. Using its time for something that's doomed from the start, and a move that looks more like political payback rather than serious judicial action, may well send those dismal ratings further south.

7. A trial would further divide a very polarized country.

President Biden campaigned for "the soul of the nation," and frequently delivered a message of unity — of bringing the country together. And he mentioned it again during his inaugural address Wednesday.

"On this January day, my whole soul is in this, bringing America together, uniting our people, uniting our nation. And I asked every American to join me in this cause," Biden said. "With unity, we can do great things, important things."

Despite the media spin about Trump's electoral challenge and the riot, President Trump remains very popular, and Rasmussen reported this week that his approval rating rose to 51%. The Rasmussen poll was one of the most accurate polls of the 2020 election.

Continuing with a charade of an impeachment trial would only further divide the country, a fact not lost on the Rev. Franklin Graham.

In an open letter he posted on his Facebook page, Graham asked Biden to call the impeachment off for the good of the nation and in appreciation of the new president's "conciliatory words" that asked "both parties to work together."

"If the Democrats go ahead with pushing for the impeachment of a president who has left office, it would only further divide our nation," Graham wrote

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden Stops Trump Order To Slash Price Of Insulin, EpiPen

Awesome way to help people with medical conditions
    USA USA USA USA !
    Biden is a POS and everyone knows it even the losers who voted his sorry ass in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden agrees with Trump State Department on one issue: China committed genocide against Uyghurs
    The Trump administration accused China of genocide this week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden agrees with Trump State Department on one issue: China committed genocide against Uyghurs
    The Trump administration accused China of genocide this week.
    Our society, on the left, is so brainwashed with their cries of nazis, racists, xenophobes, transphobes, phobes, etc that they're pointing fingers at other Americans when we should all collectively point fingers at China. They're everything left claims other Americans who differ in opinion are. It's bizarro world tbh.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our society, on the left, is so brainwashed with their cries of nazis, racists, xenophobes, transphobes, phobes, etc that they're pointing fingers at other Americans when we should all collectively point fingers at China. They're everything left claims other Americans who differ in opinion are. It's bizarro world tbh.
    American fascists are bad because they're in America.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are the 30 executive orders and actions Biden signed in his first three days

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/polit...eek/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden’s executive order will put ‘a huge dent’ in America’s food crisis

https://www.yahoo.com/money/biden-ex...211337677.html

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden’s executive order will put ‘a huge dent’ in America’s food crisis

https://www.yahoo.com/money/biden-ex...211337677.html
    Fantastic news!

Thanks for highlighting Biden's bold action during this emergency, ducks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Retired Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz railed against the scheduled impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump on Newsmax TV on Friday, calling it political theater and saying any conviction would be ''null and void.''

''If the Senate tries him, and convicts him, and disqualifies him, I believe it will be null and void, that it should be ignored,'' the 82-year-old Dershowitz said on ''Stinchfield.'' ''The Senate has no power to try and convict a private citizen, which is what Citizen Trump now is.

''They can go through the motions. It’s political theater. The reason I’m not participating in this directly is I’m neither a politician nor an actor. And so there is no role for me, as a real lawyer, as there was in the first impeachment.''

Dershowitz questioned how U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts could preside over the trial, who he says, according to the U.S. Cons ution, presides over the impeachment trial of a president, which Trump isn’t anymore. He said Vice President Kamala Harris has a conflict of interest since she would be presiding over a trial that could potentially disqualify an opponent in the 2024 presidential election.

''The framers never intended a former president to be placed on trial,'' Dershowitz said. ''We are not a country that recriminates against people who have been defeated for office, unlike other countries in the world.''

Dershowitz also excoriated what Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said were ''hundreds of cons utional lawyers'' who he said have claimed that Dershowitz’s interpretation has been ''debunked, repudiated.''

''These are partisans who use the cover of scholarship to come to the conclusion they want to on partisan grounds,'' Dershowitz said. ''What they do is come to their conclusions first, based on partisan considerations, and then hide behind their pretended scholarship to try to come up with arguments that will justify their political conclusions. They should not be taken seriously.''

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ posting from a known pedo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does Ducks always post tl;dr stuff nobody actually read?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden Cabinet nominee hired convicted domestic abuser who punched woman for refusing sex
    Biden nominated Boston Mayor Martin Walsh to be his Labor Secretary

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden Cabinet nominee hired convicted domestic abuser who punched woman for refusing sex
    Biden nominated Boston Mayor Martin Walsh to be his Labor Secretary
    you losers didn't give a about any of that on Trumps end for 4 years. You don't get to claim the high road now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you losers didn't give a about any of that on Trumps end for 4 years. You don't get to claim the high road now
    But having everything both ways is the beauty part of being a hypocrite.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derp how was your flight to Georgia? Did Callesto actually paid for it and all the amenities or did he leave you holding the bag?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    appointees can be blocked at committee level, not voted on by full Senate

Moscow Mitch refusing to yield Senate control to Dems unless Dems promise to keep the filibuster, means the Repugs remain in control of the Senate committees.
    So? It's a losing game. At some point Dems will bring a vote on the floor to take the reins, and that's a vote Mitch can't win.

Mitch is just stalling, and playing the tough guy card can only piss Dems off more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden Admin Already Caught Lying About the COVID https://conservativesjournal.com/bid...UdWbETnUfEwJKM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow a president who is telling you the truth.
    Its a sad day in the USA...

Did he say it would just go away? All he can do is try to get a helter skelter vaccination program done by local en ies more organized at this point.
    He wont tell you this is over right after the next corner? Poor you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anything from a couple of months let alone 8 months ago doesn’t remotely apply to now. Any plans from 8 months ago wouldn’t work today. The numbers are different, the situation is different etc. Kind of an easy concept to grasp if you ask me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drain the Swamp!

Thread Information