Page 284 of 433 FirstFirst ... 184234274280281282283284285286287288294334384 ... LastLast
Results 7,076 to 7,100 of 10825
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally a president that gets it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    explain what, Qhris? What's your conspiracy here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incels don't have to worry about having sex, with or without clothes on...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clown World

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incels don't have to worry about having sex, with or without clothes on...

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good job to Biden and Pelosi for helping NRA cuck, pro-life Cuellar beat Cisneros

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That bike photo op was priceless. " lets video me riding a bike 20 feet to prove how capable I still am"

Oops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden accepts the knee bend.

Senators unveil text of bipartisan deal on gun violence, setting up speedy vote.

After weeks of negotiation, a bipartisan group of senators released their anti-gun violence bill on Tuesday evening -- setting up a vote in the upper chamber as early as this week.

The four key senators on the deal were Republicans John Cornyn of Texas and Thom Tillis of North Carolina and Democrats Chris Murphy of Connecticut and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona. The group came together after a mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, last month killed 19 elementary school students and two teachers.

The bill marks a step forward in advancing that agreement, which was supported by 10 Democrats and 10 Republicans, enough to overcome a filibuster. That framework had outlined plans for a law that would include expanded background checks for those ages 18-21 as well as funding for school safety and mental health programs, funds to incentivize violence prevention programs in states and the closure of the so-called "boyfriend loophole" regarding which convicted domestic abusers can possess firearms.

https://www.msn.com/en-senators-unveil-text-of-bipartisan-deal-on-gun-violence-setting-up-speedy-vote[/B][/U]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Told you guys that was what was gonna happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The U.S. economy has a short-term problem and a more enduring long-term problem. The first is high inflation and hence decreasing real wages, which makes it hard to sustain growth in an economy mostly dependent on consumer spending. Second, over the past 50 years we have seen a troubling drop in investment—whether for infrastructure or industrial activity or basic necessities—that has inflated the cost of things like housing and health care while leaving the nation vulnerable to supply crunches caused by the pandemic and Russia’s war on Ukraine.

The decided-upon cure for the short-term problem—rising interest rates from the Federal Reserve—is degrading the long-term problem. What’s more, it’s unlikely to make more than a small dent in rising prices.

Millions of Americans are going to be deliberately thrown out of work because an economic model says that’s the only way to blunt inflation, while the seed corn of the next generation is eaten and the basic investments we need to sustain a productive economy are put off.

The Fed’s preferred tactic is demand destruction. They want to reduce Americans’ capacity to spend money, bringing it more in line with available supply. Larry Summers said this out loud the other day, arguing that the nation must increase the unemployment rate to 5 percent for 5 years in order to bring inflation in line. It’s at 3.6 percent now, which roughly speaking means that 2-3 million people must lose their jobs for the foreseeable future, in Summers’ perfect world.

The Rube Goldberg-like mechanism for getting this done is that the Fed raises interest rates high enough so it’s costlier for businesses and individuals to borrow. These borrowing costs are rising more rapidly than at any time since the early 1980s. If it works as intended, that will eventually filter down into less consumer spending, reduced hiring and wages, and lower inflation.

We’re already seeing this work. The housing market’s decline, with home sales now falling over the past couple months, is a direct result of mortgage rates rising over 6 percent, in line with both Fed actions and the expectation of more interest-rate hikes in the future. That amplification—the benchmark interest rate is only at 1.75 percent now, but mortgages are much higher—is replicated to some degree in corporate and Treasury borrowing.

In short, what higher interest rates do is crush investment across the board. As Skanda Amaranth of the research group Employ America explained on Tuesday, Federal Reserve tightening doesn’t just hit the demand side of the equation, but the supply side as well. And this comes precisely at the time when more investment is desperately needed.

Take the housing market, for example. The mortgage rate shock reduces home sales. But we know from experience that a sagging market will also reduce home completions. After the housing bubble collapsed, we had serious disinvestment in new housing. Importantly, this lasted for a decade, as homebuilders grew wary of adding units into a sclerotic economy, lest they be unable to sell new homes. This under-building is a major reason rents and home prices have rocketed over the past year, and has made it hard to grow out of the problem, as key inputs like lumber consolidated during the depressed years and cut their capacity to the bone.

Though 2022 is expected to be the biggest year for housing completions since 2006, Amaranth points to permits and starts falling amid the rougher conditions. We all know that we need more housing in America. But the market’s cyclical nature means that the Fed’s measures to slam housing will make the homebuilding gap worse over the long term.

You can apply this logic to virtually everything that policymakers want. There’s a desire to bring semiconductor manufacturing to the U.S., to create good-paying jobs and sustain reliable supplies of computer chips. But as borrowing costs rise, that investment will simply not stretch as far. Congress already passed an infrastructure law to better move goods across the country and increase resiliency to climate-fueled weather events. But that law is now stunted because of billowing financing costs. We urgently need to invest in a green transition to prevent the worst ravages of the climate crisis. That just got more expensive too, and companies that might have invested in green energy could be priced out.

When investment is held back, critical infrastructure withers, inventories deplete, ins utional memory gets lost, reshoring grows more difficult, and dominant firms build more market power amid lack of investment from rivals. It’s a ghastly scenario, and it’s mostly self-inflicted.
    https://prospect.org/the-fed-is-crus...en-we-need-it/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even worse, the Fed’s strategy might not cure the disease. It’s hard to attribute inflation entirely to an economy running hot when there hasn’t been any economic stimulus in 15 months and fiscal policy has now turned sharply negative. What looks to be the greater problem is a simple shortage in physical capacity to sustain a decent standard of living. The main pockets of inflation right now are in fuel, which is rising because of supply shocks from Ukraine and a bottleneck in refining capacity; food, also stunted due to the war; and housing, damaged by a decade of underbuilding. Investment is needed to deal with all of these categories, but thanks to the Fed, investment is now harder to do. Indeed, researchers from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco itself recently concluded that problems other than demand account for about two-thirds of current inflation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crushing demand during a supply crunch might set us up for more of the same whenever the economy rebounds.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If only we funded the pandemic team in China pre Covid, instead of believing that it would just go away
    Everyone bending over backwards because this started at a couple gay orgies, is pretty ludicrous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The International Monetary Fund (IMF) estimates the container shipping boom in 2021 accounted for 1.5 percentage points of global price rises this year, or about a quarter of the U.S. inflation rate.

“The impact of shipping costs on inflation is large and widespread, affecting countries around the world,” said Yan Carriere-Swallow, senior economist at the IMF’s Asia and Pacific Department.

While higher food and oil prices in the wake of Russia’s occupation of Ukraine feed through to consumer prices within two months, it can take up to a year to feel the full effects of container shipping costs, Carriere-Swallow said.

What’s more, COVID-19 outbreaks are still disrupting ports in China and while bigshipping firms have ordered a record volume of new, supersize container vessels, most won’t come online until next year or 2024.

“The current still-high freight rates will continue to put pressure on consumer prices well into 2023,”
    https://gcaptain.com/old-is-gold-sky...inflation-sos/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then again, maybe that's the point

A policy that drops housing starts amid a long-term homebuilding gap is a self-destructive policy. A policy that makes investment costlier when we need infrastructure and energy overhauls is similarly unproductive.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What do you think is the main cause of inflation, Darrin?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Suck-egg mule.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

This suck-egg mule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden because he's POTUS

But other reasons if Trump was POTUS

This we know

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Biden because he's POTUS

But other reasons if Trump was POTUS

This we know
    & that only because:::

Trump President.