Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He isn’t extension eligible till this off-season and the severity of their injuries were different. Vassell probably wants to get out there and prove he is worth more than what we gave Keldon.
    the sure, this offseason. and sure, i'd pay him more than we paid keldon

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure the Spurs told him they are going to take care of him and that he needs to sit so they can surround him with top level talent through the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure the Spurs told him they are going to take care of him and that he needs to sit so they can surround him with top level talent through the lottery.
    Doubtful. We have a history of being frugal. They will offer him a fair deal or slight homegrown discount if history is any indication amd he most likely signs it given he hasn’t expanded his game outside of scoring.

Vassell isn’t that material of a floor raiser and an unlikely major peice of our future… not enough to completely shelve him when he is good to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubtful. We have a history of being frugal. They will offer him a fair deal or slight homegrown discount if history is any indication amd he most likely signs it given he hasn’t expanded his game outside of scoring.

Vassell isn’t that material of a floor raiser and an unlikely major peice of our future… not enough to completely shelve him when he is good to play.
    i wouldnt shelve him either. but i'd extend him at seasons end anyway, fully expecting him to cost more than kelvin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m okay with restricting Devin’s minutes to 20-25 and give Blake/Malaki more playing time. Malaki could be the prototypical SG with smooth strokes, while seeing him handle PG duties to get him engaged. Blake you don’t worry about being aggressive, he already but needs to be more poised and better decision making, and just let them fly when open.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, they paid DJM and in my opinion, Vassell has shown more. But it's absurd to think they aren't extending him on his rookie contract. He's showed them enough that he can shoot threes and be a competent scorer and he was already a good defender. At a minimum, you sign him and then perhaps trade him down the road, but players with his skill set are in high demand in the NBA. I'm pretty confident he will sign a contract this offseason. This isn't like Kawhi, when they were trying to save cap space for other players to surround him with talent. The Spurs will have plenty of money to sign him and other free agents.

But regardless, I don't think he has to play another minute this year to show what he has. And I prefer he didn't, because when he's played, he's been our best player on the court and now is not the time to try and win games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, they paid DJM and in my opinion, Vassell has shown more. But it's absurd to think they aren't extending him on his rookie contract. He's showed them enough that he can shoot threes and be a competent scorer and he was already a good defender. At a minimum, you sign him and then perhaps trade him down the road, but players with his skill set are in high demand in the NBA. I'm pretty confident he will sign a contract this offseason. This isn't like Kawhi, when they were trying to save cap space for other players to surround him with talent. The Spurs will have plenty of money to sign him and other free agents.

But regardless, I don't think he has to play another minute this year to show what he has. And I prefer he didn't, because when he's played, he's been our best player on the court and now is not the time to try and win games.
    He probably wants to continue to show what he has in my argument. Tis will raise his value in restricted free agency. We’ve been lucky that no one has bid up the price for our RFAs in recent years but Vassell might actually get a materially better offer away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...-manu-ginobili

Zach Lowe, 03.24.23

3. Devin Vassell's sweet, sweet jumper -- and what it opens up

(Videos format not supported on the forum, you can click in the link to see them).

Vassell's season has slipped under the radar for obvious reasons. The San Antonio Spurs are chasing Victor Wembanyama. Vassell has missed 35 games. He has improved in meaningful ways but hasn't quite broken out to the degree that would draw national fawning.

He's not super far from that. Vassell is averaging 19 points and approaching 40% on 3s, and testing the boundaries of his shot-making. The Spurs run this early pindown action for Vassell a lot:

https://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gif...ssell_2GIF.mp4

Vassell has a smooth, liquid jumper. He rises high and has a buttery touch. He makes that shot look easy. It's not. That's a cramped phone booth, and he catches that pass moving to his left. Later in that game, the Spurs ran an unconventional set to get Vassell a handoff in the right corner; Vassell made an outrageous leaning 3 almost falling out of bounds. He's shooting a gargantuan 44% on catch-and-shoot 3s.

Vassell has hit only 21 of 75 pull-up 3s, but he's comfortable jacking 2s on the pick-and-roll. Vassell has tripled his pick-and-roll volume this season, per Second Spectrum. The Spurs have scored 1.05 points per possession when Vassell shoots after using a ball screen or whips it to a teammate who launches -- 46th among 207 players who have run at least 100 such plays, per Second Spectrum. Given San Antonio's ad hoc roster, that number is massively encouraging.

Vassell is shooting 48% on long 2s. He's starting to understand the threat his pull-up poses -- how it worms its way into the minds of opposing defenders:

https://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gif...l_(2)_2GIF.mp4

Vassell knows the Atlanta Hawks will chase him over that pick. He knows he's quicker than his defender -- Bogdan Bogdanovic -- and that Bogdanovic will be primed to dart around that pick the moment Vassell glances there. Vassell fakes toward the screen with one hanging lefty dribble and then zooms the other way when Bogdanovic takes the bait.

Vassell saunters to the rim, and that's one of the next steps for him. He doesn't get to the basket or the line much. Vassell is a decent passer -- he's up to almost four dimes per game -- and driving more will help unlock that part of his game.

Vassell's defense hasn't been as airtight as hoped, but that's not surprising given the context. He'll be fine. On offense, he's showing signs of becoming a 20-plus-point scorer with strong secondary ballhandling chops.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-25-2023 at 08:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what do we think contract extension talks will look like this offseason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's like the other Spurs players that got one, it will play out until the last day deadline in October, then he'll sign it. We won't hear anything about $ amounts until the extension is announced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's like the other Spurs players that got one, it will play out until the last day deadline in October, then he'll sign it. We won't hear anything about $ amounts until the extension is announced.
    could get complicated by the new CBA and expected cap boom

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like 4y/80m seems fair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like 4y/80m seems fair
    i think his average salary on a 4 year deal would be closer to 25, but i also believe under the new CBA he can get a 5 year deal without having to be the max

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon signed his extension on July 18 last year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Vassell signs one by the end of July this year.

Of course, it could also wait until October. It all depends on how far apart the sides are. They could have discussed it during the season; can the Spurs be talking to him and his agent now? Or is that not allowed until July 1?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon signed his extension on July 18 last year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Vassell signs one by the end of July this year.

Of course, it could also wait until October. It all depends on how far apart the sides are. They could have discussed it during the season; can the Spurs be talking to him and his agent now? Or is that not allowed until July 1?
    Well, I guess it’s 2 - 1. DJ and White both signed last day, and neither Lonnie or Sammich got one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Keldon's contract started looking smaller as other extensions piled up (Barrett, Poole, etc), so if I were Vassell I wouldn't want to rush it. For the Spurs it'd be better not to wait too long, or some dumb team may inevitably throw ridiculous money at a mediocre player and complicate things for us. I think he's getting 90M+.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon's contract started looking smaller as other extensions piled up (Barrett, Poole, etc), so if I were Vassell I wouldn't want to rush it. For the Spurs it'd be better not to wait too long, or some dumb team may inevitably throw ridiculous money at a mediocre player and complicate things for us. I think he's getting 90M+.
    i'd give him 4/90 without hesitation. if i understand correctly, we can even give him a 5 year deal without having to give him the max per the new cba. 5/120 is something i could live with

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think 90/4 clears the market, but that's just an armchair QB prognosticator talking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not a RFA this summer is he? I was thinking it's just a rookie extension, hence no compe ion..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not a RFA this summer is he? I was thinking it's just a rookie extension, hence no compe ion..
    yeah i mean, if vassell wants to say no to getting an extension done, play things out, bank on their being no big injury, and then try to cash in as a restricted free agent, sure good luck with that

more likely they try to get something done and the spurs have shown they're willing to take care of guys before they've really proven it, as they did with Murray and Keldon

we dont have any other rookie extensions looming in the pipeline anytime soon (lol primo) so i would just do what it takes to get something signed if im the spurs, even if it looks like a mild overpay at the time, by the end of the deal it could look like a bargain

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that he's not yet a RFA doesn't mean he's not looking at the market. If everybody's price is going up, he's not going to let that piece of information slide when setting his market value.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 for 100 to 110 would be good. Dude is on the cusp of s om

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that he's not yet a RFA doesn't mean he's not looking at the market. If everybody's price is going up, he's not going to let that piece of information slide when setting his market value.
    He sure should but Devin securing a first nice big contract and continuing developing in SA should do it for the spurs imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think 90/4 clears the market, but that's just an armchair QB prognosticator talking.
    Sounds very possible. I’m in a similar boat and feel that is a fair market value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't see him as a big impact player but he is a great complementary player to a star.

Thread Information