Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he does manage to grow a little more (based on his age) he might end up having the tools that will allow him to be compared to someone like Scottie Pippen... That said, where Scottie excels above Devin's current skillset, however, is that his creative vision as a playmaker was vastly underrated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Pippen was T-Mac before T-Mac. Even if Devin grows, there's no way he's reaching Pippen's measurables. Pippen was a freak with a 7'3" wingspan. I'm telling you, Khris/Reggie/Klay hybrid is his upside. All with similar measurables and offense/defense tools. Worst case is that he never learns to be confident with his pull up J + handle and becomes another Danny Green...which isn't TERRIBLE.

I hope Keldon and Devin challenge each other hard in practice. Maybe Devin's defense on Keldon will cause Keldon to tighten up his handles and improve Keldon's passing.

But Keldon might bully the out of Devin right now because he's such a lightweight, and strength is Keldon's calling card.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-25-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Pippen was T-Mac before T-Mac. Even if Devin grows, there's no way he's reaching Pippen's measurables. Pippen was a freak with a 7'3" wingspan. I'm telling you, Khris/Reggie/Klay hybrid is his upside. All with similar measurables and offense/defense tools. Worst case is that he never learns to be confident with his pull up J + handle and becomes another Danny Green...which isn't TERRIBLE.

I hope Keldon and Devin challenge each other hard in practice. Maybe Devin's defense on Keldon will cause Keldon to tighten up his handles and improve Keldon's passing.

But Keldon might bully the out of Devin right now because he's such a lightweight, and strength is Keldon's calling card.
    Best case scenario........iron sharpens iron! You don’t play d on this team you will get no minutes as a youngster!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone believe he is really 6’ 7”? Probably 6’5.5” w/o shoes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From DV's IG story

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this upcoming Tuesday is the last day they can sign their rookie contracts before training camp begins on Dec.1. They sure are taking their time. I've seen a lot of rookies sign their contracts already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Devin on his way to SA to sign his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's official

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quotes from his college coach, Leonard Hamilton:

“Whoever gets him will get a of a player. Because he is a great shooter, he loves to play defense, he’s coachable. He has all those attributes and he’ll make good contributions to whoever drafts him,” Hamilton said.
    “What separates Devin from a lot of guys is even though he has an even-keeled temperament, he has extreme confidence but he’s not selfish. He’s a team-guy but he has a knack of putting the ball in the basket. He’s one those guys that you can’t leave open. If you don’t contest his shot, a high percentage of those shots will go in. He’s shot over 40 percent of his three-point shots two years in a row. That speaks for itself,” he continued.
    “Sometimes, people evaluate all the physical attributes but I think it’s very difficult to evaluate, which is the most important thing, is that your mentality, your emotions in the game, your IQ, your ability to make decisions, and how you respond to stressful situations. Well, that’s what they call it the “It” factor and Devin, he checks all those boxes,” Hamilton said. “And the good thing about him is his best basketball is still ahead of him.”
    “Devin is a high-character youngster. He has a great support system with his mother and father. They are God-fearing people, he’s very religious and focused. He has a tremendous basketball IQ. He has great attention to detail. He is extremely unselfish, a great teammate. He’s a very hard worker. He’s a fast-learner. He has a tremendous amount of confidence. He’s a guy when the game is on the line, he’s focused and his confidence rises and he’s able to deliver under stressful situations. He’s the guy who has the ‘It’ factor,” Hamilton said.
    https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-yo...ays-fsu-coach/

Quotes from Florida State assistant coach Charlton ‘CY’ Young:

“From the first time I saw him, he was just special,” Young says.Young obviously believed in Vassell more than any other top college coach in the country at the time, but even he’s been surprised by Vassell’s development.

“When he first came to Florida State, I thought he might be there for three-four years and be a pro,” Young says. “Like, ‘Bambi’s going to get some bucks on his head, and it’s going to be over.’… Exactly what I thought was going to happen, happened. But what I didn’t factor in – he was (a) high-character gym rat.

“His humility was through the roof and all he wanted to do was get better. Everything we told him, he tried to do.”Case in point: Vassell shot 21 percent beyond the arc in high school. He spent the summer before his freshman season with Young and the Florida State staff, working on his shot. Over the past two seasons, he’s hit over 41 percent of his 3-point attempts at FSU.

“What does that tell you about Devin Vassell? You judge people on consistent behavior -- not on what they say but what they do.” Young says. “What that action tells you about Devin Vassell is that anything y'all tell him he can't do right now, eventually he’s going to work on it and he’s going to be doing it.”

“Never ever ever bet against consistent behavior,” Young says. “What's the knock on him now? Can't handle the ball? Can't beat a man one on one, get downhill? You tell Devin Vassell that he’s got to get better getting downhill off the dribble, consistent behavior says that he’s going to be doing it in three months.”

Young learned early on that Vassell’s "laid-back, mild-mannered" demeanor belies a nasty compe ive streak.

“Inside the lines, he wakes up mad every morning,” Young says. “He knows that they had him ranked 17 in the city of Atlanta (in high school). He knows every guy that was ranked ahead of him. He’s got a long list and he’s marking them off. He remembers.”

“There's some guys that play the game and they got the (loading) circle on their phone. They can’t read and react quickly. Their decision-making is slow. With Devin, his decision-making comes in crystal clear,” Young says.The coach adds that Vassell can make quick decisions on both sides of the ball and make an impact without the ball in his hands.
    “If he's in the opposite corner guarding a guy and somebody throws a lob pass over the top to the big at the rim, he's coming from the corner and he's going to rotate all the way over there. And he's going to deflect that ball,” Young says. “I can show you clip after clip after clip. Now, most people with the naked eye, they don't know what they’re watching. But I know that I'm watching Picasso. I know that I’m watching Albert Einstein. I know that I’m watching Bill Gates.

“I told the Knicks this, and I’m telling you – this boy is special.”

https://sny.tv/articles/florida-state-coach-talks-knicks-draft-target-devin-vassell-his-decision-making-comes-in-crystal-clear-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Doesn't look to have father figure issues...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Doesn't look to have father figure issues...
    Interesting trend: since they drafted Dejounte, every American first round pick has come from a two parent home. Lonnie, Derrick, Keldon, and now Devin. Wonder if they’re gun shy about another Uncle Dennis lurking in the wings...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting trend: since they drafted Dejounte, every American first round pick has come from a two parent home. Lonnie, Derrick, Keldon, and now Devin. Wonder if they’re gun shy about another Uncle Dennis lurking in the wings...
    Makes sense. To simplify the out of it, players with parental void seems to have issues. For example, DJ has ego issues + he hates his dad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best “Church of” ever.
    can someone explain the church name to me? What's the go with a Radisson ballroom?

Four seasons landscaping garage of
    Missed opportunity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let's goooooooooo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skinny
    Someone buy this dude a coupon book to Whataburger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one more wake up and its on... Be interesting to see these dudes next to each other....

Physically he looks like a taller Dejuante body type wise..... TBH 220 is a big ask even at 6'7"is to put on that body frame type. Typical Hard Gainers.
    Hopefully he has better ACLs than DJ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't want Vassell to put on too much muscle, though. Maybe 10-20 pounds at most, would be healthy as he grows into his body, definitely not 30+ though. Good perimeter defenders in this modern NBA tend to have that long, lanky, nimble body type, and bulking up over the count can be counter-productive, losing speed and agility with mass that won't be of much use in other areas. I actually really like the combination at SF between Keldon and Vassell, they have opposite games and body types that compliment each others'. I wonder if the Spurs could get away with lineups with the both of them, one at the 4, with Jakob as the traditional 5.

A lineup of White - Dejounte - Vassell - Keldon - Poeltl would be really hard to score on. Let's get back to defense oriented play...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't want Vassell to put on too much muscle, though. Maybe 10-20 pounds at most, would be healthy as he grows into his body, definitely not 30+ though. Good perimeter defenders in this modern NBA tend to have that long, lanky, nimble body type, and bulking up over the count can be counter-productive, losing speed and agility with mass that won't be of much use in other areas. I actually really like the combination at SF between Keldon and Vassell, they have opposite games and body types that compliment each others'. I wonder if the Spurs could get away with lineups with the both of them, one at the 4, with Jakob as the traditional 5.

A lineup of White - Dejounte - Vassell - Keldon - Poeltl would be really hard to score on. Let's get back to defense oriented play...
    Yeah I agree. He needs to get stronger, but not necessarily jacked up. Some people don't have that weight room strength, but rather game strength (like Manu).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Johnson is already short to play 3, so I don’t see him playing 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson is already short to play 3, so I don’t see him playing 4.
    Who plays what position is determined by strength, not height in most cases for today's NBA.

Draymond Green is literally Kobe's height and plays PF/C.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You also see players like Jrue Holiday and Royce O Neal punking much taller players than they are and they're 6'3". This is because they're strong as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not to say I think Keldon is too short-- i think he grew and most fans don't realize it. Maybe I'm wrong, but we will know this week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information