Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rui Hachimura (6'8") struggled like against Jrue in this video. He couldn't even back him down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson is already short to play 3, so I don’t see him playing 4.
    Who plays what position is determined by strength, not height in most cases for today's NBA.

Draymond Green is literally Kobe's height and plays PF/C.
    I tend to agree with that, besides most big 3's play the four nowadays (think Rudy Gay).

KJ should be able to guard 3's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You also see players like Jrue Holiday and Royce O Neal punking much taller players than they are and they're 6'3". This is because they're strong as .
    Definitely agree with this. I also think Keldon has grown, but even if he didn't, he's got great size to play the modern 3 and small-ball 4, on defense especially. Core strength and good instincts can make up for a lot in terms of height/size differences, and Keldon seems to have both - if he can develop into something at least close to Holiday's defense, he's gonna be a damn cheatcode for the Spurs. We could play him at the 4, 3, or 2 depending on what lineups are called, and he's got the strength, length, shooting and passing to make it work. Exciting stuff.

Great video. It's really easy to see how Holiday's strength helps him be a great defender - he can absorb contact, not in the way we usually talk about "absorbing contact" on offense, but in the opposite way; he waits and stands his ground until the opposing player exerts strength at him and leans into him as a result, and quickly goes for the ball at the moment where these players are accustomed to having that newly created space, all while hardly getting moved even by bigger matchups. And to think if Keldon can do this, and even if the opponent gets by them, they still have to deal with Vassell and Dejounte's length in passing lanes, White as help defense, and Poeltl at the rim.....

Yeah, gimme some of that any time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've already stated, shoulders and arms-wise, Keldon is an average SF for NBA. So no, he is not small for a 3. He certainly is not weak or shy for a 3 either. As long as you put a solid big and another lengthy defender next to him, they should be fine. I'm still not convinced on Vassell and Dejounte as individual defenders though. Hopefully Dejounte takes the big leap that we were expecting pre-ACL this year. Vassell hopefully surprises us with his individual D and strength this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big Body Johnson disagrees with your assessment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you guys are right and that he will prove me wrong, I want nothing but him being in the starting line up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you guys are right and that he will prove me wrong, I want nothing but him being in the starting line up.
    well vassell will be in the gleague all year to get over himself, so there will be plenty of opportunities for keldon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is probably the best article written on Devin Vassell so far...

https://valleytales.substack.com/p/d...mer-coach-this

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIGH SCHOOL:

I’m looking at him, and he looks like Bambi. His hairline is all the way down to his forehead. He’s got one string on his chin. And he’s weak. So I’m looking at him and I’m saying, “Man, this kid’s gonna grow about another inch and a half, two inches. (He’ll) do some push-ups. This boy’s a pro.” The first possession, he goes down and they shoot a 3, and he goes in and tips it in. They come back down, he gets the rebound and he pushes it up the floor and he kicks it to the corner. They come back down this way, they drive baseline and he blocks it (and) pins it on the glass. They run back down and they throw it to him, and he rips a two-foot pop, one-handed floater in the paint. They go back down and he gets a back-tip. They come back down, and he hits a 3 in the corner. And I was like, “Hey, scrimmage over.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I saw Devin Vassell, I saw Allen Houston. He’s a better defensive version. Allen Houston was on my All-Star team (when I was in high school). I’m a basketball junkie, like a savant. I remember when I was at (the Five-Star camp) in 1988 and we’re on the All-Star team, and I passed the ball to Allen Houston and he ripped, took one dribble and jumped real high and shot it. I had never seen nothing like that, not at 6-7. Now (Vassell’s) grown a little more. I don’t know if I should say this, because Paul George was so bad in the playoffs, but you see a little Paul George. I knew (Vassell) was a pro. When you throw in his character and his humility and his work ethic, you got a future All-Star.

This is why he’s gonna be an All-Star and get four or five: the amount of professionalism he has at a young age. The season starts, and he had five DNPs. Did. No. Play. He had five more games where he played less than 10 minutes. Now, his AAU coach ain’t calling me. His high school coach ain’t calling me. His momma ain’t calling me. His daddy ain’t calling me. His brother ain’t calling me. Now, in 2020, that’s virtually impossible with what we’re dealing with in this day and age. The boy comes in my office after five games, he says, “I need to get a bump. I need to get a workout.” After he did not play. I was more upset than him. I’m going to (Jones) and Hamilton, fussing and fighting. Devin Vassell told me, “Unc, don’t worry about it. When (Jones) and Hamilton call my name, I’m gonna be ready.”

I would say his compe iveness (is also underrated). Most people look at him and they think he’s Theo Huxtable from Suwanee, Georgia. But now, this dude wakes up mad every day about not being ranked (by recruiting services). He’s got everybody’s name written down. All this, “I was a two-star player and I wasn’t ranked,” he’s mad as about that, now. He comes to the game, and he’s trying to put everybody’s name on the list and mark them off. He’s got a lot of fuel. They threw gasoline on the fire, now.

This kid is a high-character gym rat. I’m talking about, “Yes, sir. No, sir.” (He follows the catchphrase that) everything you need to make it in life, you learned in kindergarten. This boy, he’s special. His humility. He’s one of those guys that, when he finishes playing pro ball, he’s gonna own 22 car dealerships or he’s gonna own Starbucks or he’s gonna be a GM of a team. You can just see it. This boy’s like the Rain Man (with his routine). Gotta work out. Gotta work out.

My wife’s trying trick him into marrying my oldest daughter (Ariel), who’s a redshirt sop re at North Carolina right now. That’s how much we think of him. We’re trying to have an arranged marriage. And his momma, who’s my best friend, we’re in cahoots. We’re trying to make it happen. Now, I’ve had players that I wanted to marry my daughter, but I didn’t want them on my team. Then, I had players that I wanted on my team, but couldn’t be marrying my daughter. But this boy is both. You don’t find that often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't follow Allan Houston much back then. But I can see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston was pretty good. He was a big part of that ‘99 Knicks team that the Spurs beat in the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they struck gold with this pick. He's going to improve year upon year. The talent is there. The work ethic, humility and character seem to be there.

Pop is a better judge of character than talent at this point. I think they got this one right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they struck gold with this pick. He's going to improve year upon year. The talent is there. The work ethic, humility and character seem to be there.

Pop is a better judge of character than talent at this point. I think they got this one right.
    He comes from a stable two parent household which also bodes well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a little fuzzy on the exact detail. However. Doug Collins was hired as HC and GM of Detroit for GH second year. He had Hil, and Houston on that roster almost won 50 games and made the playoff as a Version of Jordan Pippin(pick whom you want to be Jordan or Pippin). They had a acious perimeter Defense and a promising offensive pace. You can talk all kinds of about Jerry Krause, there is NO WAY in He allowed Pippen's rookie contract to expire so goes to the NICKS for nothing in Pippin's Second YEAR if EVER. Pretty Much what Doug did with Houston after that break out season and making the playoffs.

I don't know what Doug was thinking, if he EVER DID. Maybe he thought having second rate version of Pippin Jordan with the Actual Pippin and Jordan in his Division was a loosing gambit? Who knows. Its one of those NBA what IF's? Surprised the Youtube NBA hacks haven't made one of those Videos about this.
    According to this article the Pistons tried to keep Houston and also acquire Juwon Howard through FA during the summer of '96. Houston refused to resign with the Pistons and then Howard decided not to sign with them when he found out Houston wasn't resigning.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...092-story.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have to agree everything points to this guy having the desire and the discipline to become a really good player for us years to come. He kinda reminds me of a young Sean Elliot and hopefully he will have as great a career or better then Sean so I will enjoy watching him grow up Spurs for Life

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allan Houston was one of my favourite players back then. Great shooter and very solid player. Pistons were re ed for letting him go, and I believe he was one of the biggest keys in the Knicks doing great in the playoffs. When Allan Houston was healthy, the Knicks performed great in the playoffs. Too bad both him and Grant Hill were separated and both didn't reach their peak due to injuries. I wonder if they stayed together how great they could have been? Maybe the injuries don't happen? Wow, really sucks for both of these two, as they were top notch/classy guys (from what I remember, Houston was a classy guy?) as well as being great players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is an interesting read.
    It reminded me a lot of what I saw from Vassell in the various vids. and scouting reports posted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because DOUG was a Horrible GM for Detroit.
    Yep, Doug was a dumbass.

But, IIRC, there was actually a plan there. Doug was trying to play salary cap games. If he signed Houston to the extension, he didn't have the cap to chase a big time FA ( Howard ); if he let Houston wait until FA, he still had bird rights to sign Houston with after signing Howard. But apparently Houston was not on board with said plan (Why? I don't know. A lack of communication?) ... and Doug didn't succeed in getting Howard to sign either...

While we can say that the Spurs FO does have a few blemishes on their record but I'd say they have more extenuating cir stances than Doug did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy . The penny just dropped into the slot. This, from the linked article...

Ideal NBA fit

These teams like Golden State and Portland that like to spread it out and play fast in transition. Not two yards and a cloud of dust (by) running sets. Teams that want to play fast. He’s gonna get somebody a raise. I promise you that. Because he’s gotten me two.
    I think they re-did the offense for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're saying the Spurs did?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell seems like a great fit for this team and culture. Definitely seems to be of impeccable character and has a strong work ethic.
    Very curious to see how/when he fits in with this team. If he just became Danny Green, but, without the mental lapses, Pop would play him a lot.
    His ceiling might be much higher. Psyched to see how it works out. Also, wonder if the weird shooting form was done to throw teams off and he was the Spurs pick all along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're saying the Spurs did?
    Yup. We subtracted a couple of bad defenders, but the personnel are much the same as last year, except for our draft picks. Why didn’t they do this new offense last year? Missing piece, maybe? Could also be why they list him as a guard. He’ll be handling the ball more than the wings. Him being 6’6” or 6’7” has nothing to do with it. It’s all about what they’re calling processor speed, like a top QB going through all of his reads in 2 seconds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Which linked article cuz people posting stuff from 90s in here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. We subtracted a couple of bad defenders, but the personnel are much the same as last year, except for our draft picks. Why didn’t they do this new offense last year? Missing piece, maybe? Could also be why they list him as a guard. He’ll be handling the ball more than the wings. Him being 6’6” or 6’7” has nothing to do with it. It’s all about what they’re calling processor speed, like a top QB going through all of his reads in 2 seconds.
    They didn't do this new offense last year (pre-bubble) because they had belief in the previous system. The old system didn't get them into the playoffs, so they are doing a new system. I wouldn't say they did it for Vassell, rather, they drafted the player who would easily fit in the new system-- Florida State college basketball is similar to Spurs Bubble basketball.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 12-05-2020 at 11:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which linked article cuz people posting stuff from 90s in here
    This one, that poster Dejounte posted on the previous page.
    https://valleytales.substack.com/p/d...mer-coach-this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn't do this new offense last year because they had belief in the previous system. The old system didn't get them into the playoffs, so they are doing a new system. I wouldn't say they did it for Vassell, rather, they drafted the player would easily fit in the new system-- Florida State college basketball is similar to Spurs Bubble basketball.
    The offense really hasn’t worked in a couple of years, since Kawhi bolted. I don’t think it was a belief in the previous system that kept them in it. More like a holding pattern waiting for the right piece. If anyone knows Devin, it’s CY, and he thought GS should have taken him at #2.

Thread Information