Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin is so on point mentally and has such a nose for the ball and ability to read the defense.
    It really is shocking how dialed in he is at this point in his career and in a more complex than average NBA system.
    Really impressed with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin is so on point mentally and has such a nose for the ball and ability to read the defense.
    It really is shocking how dialed in he is at this point in his career and in a more complex than average NBA system.
    Really impressed with him.
    Scotie Pippen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lets see him average 5 ppg on higher than 40% shooting before sucking this guy's and calling him pippen

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    slightly on the upper body side but I figure Demar’s legs and positioning down there are much stronger than Keldon. Demar’s problem is he just doesn’t know how to defend well. Keldon long term at the four will wear him out. He is a SG/SF.
    I don't like him as a combo sg/sf... Can he pull some minutes at 2 in some match-ups yeah but I see him more as a combo forward with more time and more match-ups at sf. Are there some PF match-ups that are bad for him? Yeah... But not that many in today's nba... Do I also think that his lower body and endurance will get built a bit over the next couple of years... Yeah I just hope he can keep his speed where it is. He has power but I don't want him to loose speed and would like to see a bit of finesse built. All power players wear out in a few years unless their name is James or Shaq.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like him as a combo sg/sf... Can he pull some minutes at 2 in some match-ups yeah but I see him more as a combo forward with more time and more match-ups at sf. Are there some PF match-ups that are bad for him? Yeah... But not that many in today's nba... Do I also think that his lower body and endurance will get built a bit over the next couple of years... Yeah I just hope he can keep his speed where it is. He has power but I don't want him to loose speed and would like to see a bit of finesse built. All power players wear out in a few years unless their name is James or Shaq.
    Ill agree he is a SF. Can he play SG better than a traditional PF? I think so. Can he play the PF if we play small ball, sure. The best teams in the NBA will have a well-rounded squad with size and strength. He will more than likely be severely mismatched at the PF if he plays there. Some of the NBA will be playing small ball but ultimately the contenders will have their bigs just playing more like guards and punishing the smaller players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How do you add NEGATIVE offensive points? It can't be from allowing the other team to score, that would fall under Defensive Points Saved... WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The trend line seems incredibly arbitrary. I can't imagine that an actual trend line would be so steep when most data points on the left side are UNDER it and on the right side there only 2 data points and they are WAY ABOVE it. SMH. Very biased graph, not rooted in math at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trend line seems incredibly arbitrary. I can't imagine that an actual trend line would be so steep when most data points on the left side are UNDER it and on the right side there only 2 data points and they are WAY ABOVE it. SMH. Very biased graph, not rooted in math at all.
    The DPS and OPA is likely based on a 48 minute scale.

DPS league best is probably +12, your y axis maximum. League worst is -26.
    OPA league best is +26, your x axis maximum. League worst is -12.

Slope is then connected from both (max y, min x), (max x, min y) coordinates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Say what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Uh, yeah. That is exactly how you do NOT do a trend line. That isn't a trend line at all. Just some arbitrary line that they justified in drawing. Pretty meaningless. Doesn't give me much faith in the rest after knowing how they came up with the "trend" line, which is what you would assume it is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a trend line. It's there to indicate anyone above the line is a net positive player, anyone below it is a net negative...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a trend line. It's there to indicate anyone above the line is a net positive player, anyone below it is a net negative...
    It doesn't indicate that either, mathematically it doesn't. Only using some arbitrary Maximum and Minimum values to create that line is not a valid way to determine who is a net positive player and net negative. I mean, if that is the definition you want to use, sure, that can mean that. But in reality it has no meaningful purpose in helping identify net positive and net negative players.

A waste of time to create, actually. And we are all dumber for having looked at it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, yeah. That is exactly how you do NOT do a trend line. That isn't a trend line at all. Just some arbitrary line that they justified in drawing. Pretty meaningless. Doesn't give me much faith in the rest after knowing how they came up with the "trend" line, which is what you would assume it is.
    I didn't mean to say it was a trend line. I'm just saying that's how it kinda looks like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't mean to say it was a trend line. I'm just saying that's how it kinda looks like.
    I'm not blaming you, I'm just saying that NBA Math has nothing to do with math on that graph. And that line is misleading, for whatever purpose it serves. Unless it is meant to mislead, then it does a good job.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't indicate that either, mathematically it doesn't. Only using some arbitrary Maximum and Minimum values to create that line is not a valid way to determine who is a net positive player and net negative. I mean, if that is the definition you want to use, sure, that can mean that. But in reality it has no meaningful purpose in helping identify net positive and net negative players.

A waste of time to create, actually. And we are all dumber for having looked at it...
    I really get the impression you don't understand the math he's doing (note, I am not endorsing this math, but this is what he's doing).

https://nbamath.com/tpa-model/

Essentially BPM (adjusted box -score plus minus) can be broken into defensive and offensive portion. It is then adjusted to make all the players compared on a per 100 possessions basis... that gives you DPS and OPA. Those added together give you TPA (which is the player's net +/- per 100 possessions on the floor) ... The diagonal line that bugs you is where TPA = 0, above that line TPA >0.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When his shot starts going in he’ll be incredible. Very impressive.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its good hes getting this experience early

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering that there was no SL and he got drafted just a couple of months before the season started, he's been nothing short of incredible of defense.
    Amazing defensive IQ, great rotations, deflections and hustle. Also looks really good on the glass.
    Definitely 1st team all-defense player in a couple of years.

His shot looks smooth, I think it's just a matter of confidence on offense. He still stops and just passes the ball away, probably scared of Pop yelling at him.
    Perfect SG/SF for the modern game.

Hopefully he still keeps his minutes when Derrick comes back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another solid game for the rookie.

he is consistently showing he is a legit NBA PLAYER.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    defense comes so naturally to him, its really quite impressive for a rookie. scoring department needs some work though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That block on Kanter was great. He showcased a Khris Middletonesque pull up J from mid-range in garbage time, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That block on Kanter was great. He showcased a Khris Middletonesque pull up J from mid-range in garbage time, too.
    its a big ask for his offensive game to progress as well as Middleton's but that should definitely be the target

if anything he has a better shot coming out of college than middleton did

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy has it........a soft spoken KILLER! He is something to mold like Keldon/Kawhi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hope this closes the book on who is taller between KJ and DV. Look at their shoulder height.

Thread Information