Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly the photo looks like he has a good pump from lifting and that he isn’t really that much bigger. Hopefully he has gotten a little bigger but not too big because it could cause him to be slower.

he did well in the play in game and played rock solid after we traded Derrick. I hope he improves on his play
    i saw another pic of devin where he's just on the court and there is no doubt that he put on some muscle mass and is definitely cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to reconcile the discussion about Devin putting on some muscle with the idea that his shooting will therefore improve. Really? Maybe he'll be better on driving the lane with some added strength, but I don't think bulking up is going to make perimeter shots go down.

All I know is that his production of 3 pt shots last year at 36% put him in number 89th place in the league. If he is supposed to be our go to scorer at SG, then perhaps he ought to be working on eye/hand coordination or something that might seriously move the percentages up to 40%--not to mention a good dose of something to give him more agression about shooting. I'm hoping one of our rookies has that special confidence thing that born shooters have. So far I haven't seen it in Devin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone puts on muscle in the NBA. You have to in order to survive. He has five months to get his shot back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to reconcile the discussion about Devin putting on some muscle with the idea that his shooting will therefore improve. Really? Maybe he'll be better on driving the lane with some added strength, but I don't think bulking up is going to make perimeter shots go down.

All I know is that his production of 3 pt shots last year at 36% put him in number 89th place in the league. If he is supposed to be our go to scorer at SG, then perhaps he ought to be working on eye/hand coordination or something that might seriously move the percentages up to 40%--not to mention a good dose of something to give him more agression about shooting. I'm hoping one of our rookies has that special confidence thing that born shooters have. So far I haven't seen it in Devin.
    Look at his splits. He had three bad months between Dec to Feb. he was trending up towards the end of the season. Shooting is the last of his problems. It’s actually his greatest strength. When he tries to do more is the issue. He could excel as a Ray Allen type but he thinks he’s Kawhi Leonard and pulls up for inefficient 2’s. I’m sure that’s why they brought Malaki in. Having those two out there would be terror for defenses if Vassell sticks to his role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You throw in an absolute number like 89th and make it sound like that's a bad number. There are 30 teams and 15 players allowed per team, so out of about 450 players,.he's 89th with a 36% 3-pt shooting. That 36% converts to an equivalent of 54% 2-pt shooting. 54% 2-pt shooting is damn good. WTF are you picking something that is good and complaining about it.

There are so many things to complain about that are genuinely in need of some spotlight, stick to those. And if you can't understand when a stat is actually good, maybe don't mention anything at all?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Keldon is the better 3 point shooter. We needed from Devin to attack the rim with contact and get to the FT line more. I don’t know the stats but I’m sure the Spurs were not in the top among teams going to the FT line. Plus it helps Devin also to defend stronger players when he switch. But I think he’s not done yet. Those will still rip and burn and get stronger. I also like him to develop backing down smaller defenders. Let’s go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Your problem is expecting a go to guy out of Devin. Vassell's projected role, imho, is a high-end 3-and-D player. The type of player that helps you win championships if you have the right franchise player.

Anyway, you are complaining about Vassell's 3 pt shooting as a sop re when, first, 36% isn't bad, and, second, you are not considering development at all. Keldon shot 33% from 3 in his sop re year and look at him now. It is unlikely that Devin doesn't keep improving that 3pt shooting %. In fact, when it's all said and done, Devin will probably end up as a better 3pt shooter than Keldon.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You throw in an absolute number like 89th and make it sound like that's a bad number. There are 30 teams and 15 players allowed per team, so out of about 450 players,.he's 89th with a 36% 3-pt shooting. That 36% converts to an equivalent of 54% 2-pt shooting. 54% 2-pt shooting is damn good. WTF are you picking something that is good and complaining about it.

There are so many things to complain about that are genuinely in need of some spotlight, stick to those. And if you can't understand when a stat is actually good, maybe don't mention anything at all?
    89th best means every team will have two shooters better and 28 teams will have three shooters better so 89th is not very good if he is your top shooter or 2nd best shooter.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of players currently on the Spurs, Vassell was 5th in 3P%.
    Having your 5th best 3P shooter be 89th in the league is not so bad.
    .444 Richardson
    .426 Dieng
    .422 McDermott
    .398 K.Johnson
    .361 Vassell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of players currently on the Spurs, Vassell was 5th in 3P%.
    Having your 5th best 3P shooter be 89th in the league is not so bad.
    .444 Richardson
    .426 Dieng
    .422 McDermott
    .398 K.Johnson
    .361 Vassell
    Decent percentages and none on volume for today’s NBA…

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Strength is good for longer periods of shooting with a natural form. If you're weak or if you're unconditioned, you're going to compensate to get 3 point shots up after not too long. If he is getting stronger, that's going to benefit.

And Devin's going to need to be more of a chucker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well that picture shows he is in a boxing ring so that helps with his hand and eye coordination and definitely will upgrade his conditioning and probably his confidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stay away from the court devin. Hopefully he is sn early shutdown candidate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not really jumping so probably still some way from return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I like Spurs to shut him down and help the tank, I also don't like to derail his development from missing NBA games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the end of the day, if you are healthy and the doctors clear you, you gotta ball. You're a basketball player. You can't just not play. He could get injured in the first minute of next season's opener.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he can come back after the trade deadline. Once we trade some of the vets, we should be worse than before and keep losing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he can come back after the trade deadline. Once we trade some of the vets, we should be worse than before and keep losing
    I agree. But I doubt a Keldon/Vassell/Sochan/Collins could outtank Rockets and Pistons. They probably play better rallying once the vets got traded, which is often the case for young team. Remember how Keldon/Vassell picked up where DJ/White left off as goto scorers. Having consistent minutes could open up Roby, Romeo, Branham’s games. It’s possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. But I doubt a Keldon/Vassell/Sochan/Collins could outtank Rockets and Pistons. They probably play better rallying once the vets got traded, which is often the case for young team. Remember how Keldon/Vassell picked up where DJ/White left off as goto scorers. Having consistent minutes could open up Roby, Romeo, Branham’s games. It’s possible.
    We don’t need to out tank them, just stay in the top 3 for our 14% golden ticket in the Wembystakes. I don’t care about only being able to be pushed down to 5, or being able to be pushed down to 7, if you’re not one or two, it’s flat from picks 3-15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be cool if they shelved Dev and let Blake and Bran see what develops with half a season of expanded focus and repe ions. Plus would be great for maintaining Ls.

Last season Tre seemed to turn a corner with time in the latter half of the season since DJ was out for a while. Maybe fast track some progress again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be cool if they shelved Dev and let Blake and Bran see what develops with half a season of expanded focus and repe ions. Plus would be great for maintaining Ls.

Last season Tre seemed to turn a corner with time in the latter half of the season since DJ was out for a while. Maybe fast track some progress again.
    I think it is too early in Vassell’s development to shelve him. Especially in a contract year. I’d have him on a minutes restriction of 20-25mins a game, no back to backs for the final 15-20 games of the season. Also, remember he is in a contract year as he is extension eligible this summer.

I agree it’d be nice to give Wesley/Bran an extended leash and a consistent 20-25 mins a night each similar to what we did with Primo down the stretch last year.

We also have to further evaluate Langford as he is in a contract year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id just offer vassell an extension now the same way we did with dejounte. ended up being a good deal for us, and its one of the things dejounte was very grateful for as well (per his interview with sjax). dejounte to that point had shown less than vassell in actual nba games and was coming off a much worse injury

if we were willing to pay keldon after last season, no reason not to pay vassell now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id just offer vassell an extension now the same way we did with dejounte. ended up being a good deal for us, and its one of the things dejounte was very grateful for as well (per his interview with sjax). dejounte to that point had shown less than vassell in actual nba games and was coming off a much worse injury

if we were willing to pay keldon after last season, no reason not to pay vassell now

He isn’t extension eligible till this off-season and the severity of their injuries were different. Vassell probably wants to get out there and prove he is worth more than what we gave Keldon.

Thread Information