Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray, Tre Jones (ACC Player of the year), White, Walker, Keldon, Vassell (Klay Thompson lite) = STACKED young core

For all the people complaining about 1) Bad Roster management 2) Trade skills ... maybe it’s a good thing PATFO suck at those 2 traits. Because they draft well. So why complain about the losing seasons??? Bring it on! Keep stacking & developing the drafted talent and sort it out later.

This organization’s weaknesses will feed right into their biggest strengths. So embrace it. Good things are happening. It’s called “the long game”. By the time it’s said and done they’ll have the deepest team.

By embracing their biggest weaknesses it just further strengthens their strongest ability, which will lead to STACKED. Be patient...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Pop & Co we trust lol but seriously, people are disappointed that we didn’t make some deals but this draft went about as well as I could hope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all we need now is a good head coach and a good GM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just glad we picked the right combination of most talented and safe players available while not going for reaches like Bey and that Pokemon dude some of you were clamoring for leading up to tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sup OP, how's the lady?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is stupid. No offense. You can have all of that while doing trades to improve your outlook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is stupid. No offense. You can have all of that while doing trades to improve your outlook.
    Agreed but this is the reality of the situation. It's hard to believe there won't be any changes before the season begins, though. Hopefully they'll surprise us and pull something off that will better set us up for the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure. It not happening during the draft makes it less likely but definitely need to see if free agency paints a better picture

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Homie. They traded Kawhi package for Derozan package, and they thought that was a good deal. In reality it was a fleecing. I don’t have any confidence in them conducting successful trades if it were to materialize.

Based on their failure of a track record, it’s probably more likely that they would get fleeced again.

Just let them stick to what they’re good at which is drafting. Which is done best by having losing record. They are less likely to screw things up that way. And based on their activity that appears to be their plan anyway.

It’s a game of minimizing risk, and they are a good at drafting. It’s their bread & butter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they aren’t losing and getting top 5 picks. They need to lose more or get more picks to have more late lottery and beyond chances.

I agree draft is their strength so trade LMA and DDR for draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they aren’t losing and getting top 5 picks. They need to lose more or get more picks to have more late lottery and beyond chances.

The problem is no team wants to give up draft picks for either. In DDR's case teams are scared off by his mental health problems. In LMA's case teams are scared off by his age. It's frustrating that our 2 best players are not considering great assets on the open market due to Age and Mental Health. It's a rare situation to be in. I"m just hoping to the miss the playoffs again. Next year's draft is suppose to be 15-20 deep. So if the Spurs even get a low lottery pick they have a high chance of actually getting a good player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No one's giving draft picks for one year of over-the-hill players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sky fell when Tim Duncan retired

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol we don't know that any of these guys is good enough together or individually to be referred to as "stacked".

The MOST we can say is that Derrick White had a couple decent playoff games, but he seems to lack the physical ability and force of personal will to be above average on a consistent basis. He's likely just a streaky role player and yet he is well ahead of the rest of the "stacked" guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sky isn’t falling...it already fell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one's giving draft picks for one year of over-the-hill players.
    Which goes to my original point: it’s an indictment on the FO for choosing those players & not acting quickly enough to trade them when their value was higher (last season)

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which goes to my original point: it’s an indictment on the FO for choosing those players & not acting quickly enough to trade them when their value was higher (last season)
    Agreed.

After last night, I do think Pop and RC are still running the show because you would have to think that any other general manager would be able to make a trade at some point. I’m being a little bit facetious, but this was the exact same operational style that we’ve been seeing for years and years.

They are stubborn and resistant to change. That worked well with the Big Three because you didn’t have to make huge changes, and could evolve with the supporting cast. This is new territory for them and are either in denial of it, or are doing the slowest rebuild ever seen. I'm glad to hear they tried to move on from old assets that don't fit into the long range plan, so we assume that they understand the situation, I suppose. Perhaps other teams just don't want to work with Pop and RC, as I've heard they have a reputation of coming across as always being the smartest in the room.

Anyway, let's hope the Bubble was not an aberration and did in fact change how the coaching staff approaches the best way to utilize our talent. My thought: they recognize we need to do a youth movement, but will still slow pedal it.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 11-19-2020 at 10:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. Is what it is now that the “damage”’was done. Not damaged as in royally screwed with no picks and awful salary cap outlook but damage as in they are behind an awful lot of teams both short and long term and will have a major uphill battle to getting back to playoff team with a ceiling.

Been skeptical about Brian Wright (some justified & some probably unfair) but while I was disappointed in no creative trades to help build for future he did very good In draft. Hearing him speak gave me confidence he understands what modern NBA players look like.

He may not have the juice to fix mistakes or be creative in trades (we will see) but I’m feeling better about the type of players SA will likely be targeting as mistakes of the past fade away. Hoping he doesn’t make a soul crushing mistake in FA (Beli Bryn Zeller etc)

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To all the chicken littles

Bok, bok!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to get over this trade crap. Yes it's ok to make trades and get picks but damn it's not the only way. New Orleans has had more Lottery picks than Denver in the past 10 years but yet even with Zion I'd much rather be the Nuggets. I live in Denver and know some people who work for the Nuggets and they always said that tanking for picks and taking on bad contacts is something they tried to stay away from. The only trades they've really made were once around the fringes and making decision between Nurkic and Jokic. The nuggets have the future they have due to the fact that the young guys they drafted actually are fulfilling their potential and not just talking about it. If these young guys are what most of y'all believe they are then even with the vets on the team this team should be compe ive. If not then even the young players y'all fawn over should be up for trade as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will miss the playoffs again. It is what it is. The picks were fine, btw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t need to get over the trade crap. It’s not just that they leave an insane amount of meat on the bone (which great franchises don’t do) it’s that even if they don’t believe “my way” is the best, they aren’t even doing anything in the opposite direction.

They are firmly entrenched in mediocrity and paralyzed as a front office in terms of direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that it’s disappointing that the spurs didn’t find a way to make some deals but you gotta look at the Miami heat, When Lebron left them they were mediocre for quite some time but kept rebuilding on the fly and now they’re back as contenders

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any popsuckers wanna do some damage control?

Thread Information